Cheap, small, I don't know

ArgusMcJohnsten

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm after something affordable and preferably small. I don't doo much driving, but am going on 2 road trips (July and October) thought it might prove useful for those. Being that I'll be going through multiple states, I don't know what all the laws are and didn't want to anything too conspicuous.
Do any of them have a "save" feature? Say the wife is asleep, but I want to show her something she missed, I would like to be able to hit a button and not have that segment overwritten.

I had decided on the g1wc due to price, but it was big, then saw the dome z7. Liked the size of that better, but sold out most places. So I started looking about the g90 since it was the same brand, but it looks a little bigger. So that got me thinking about the mobius since it's so much smaller and close in price. Then I started thinking about everything else I would need with it, and wondering why I don't just go with the g1wc.

Thanx

Here is my comparison thread of z7 vs g1wh: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...hcam-review-and-comparison-against-g1wh.6849/

Z7 is much smaller in size but due to the long mount, it's not discrete either.
Daytime is very good but night is not that good in both.

dsc01759-small-jpg.7071

dsc01763-small-jpg.7073

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini 0806 might be worth the consideration for it's smallness.

Not for reliability and not cheap.
Really depends on the OP's budget. If the OP is looking at the Mobius, the price point is about ~$80 where the Mini 0806 is currently around $85... Though for sure, it's probably not as reliable as the Mobius, but still worth the consideration for the size.

I guess another option could be the A118C, it's not too noticeable.

The mobius is not so big, and how noticeable it is depends on where and how you mount it. I prefer dashcams that use a standard tripod threaded mount. There are plenty of inexpensive mounts available on amazon. As long as you stick with the original battery set up, it's also portable. (also an action cam of sorts, with a 60 minute or so battery life, unplugged)

I'm not sure there are any statewide laws regarding dashcams, YET.
(Other than Border Patrol and some local Police stuff)
I did talk to a driver who claims he was ticketed in Alabama for having a GPS mounted in the windshield within the sweep pattern of the wipers. (Need to look that up and confirm it is legit)

I know a bit about US law but I'm NOT an expert so take this however you will.

Federal Constitutional Law cases set precedents which cannot be reduced by any other governmental entity within the 50 States (I think US Territories are different, IDK). You are legally entitled to film anything from any public location so long as that filming is not an attempt to usurp someones expected privacy, does not interfere with official government activities, does not create a safety hazard to the general public, and is being done for personal non-commercial use. You can be restricted on private or Government controlled properties which are not open to full free public access. So the filming itself is generally fine, however as your friend discovered, each state has laws and regulations regarding obstructions of a driver's view which were not originally part of the vehicle as it was manufactured. There are also state and local laws regarding having a video screen view where the driver may see it.

The best approach is to not get noticed for having the cam- make it as discreet a mounting as possible. Place it where your view would already be obstructed (behind the rear-view mirror or inline between driver's eyes and the far-side windshield pillar post)- that will give you an argument that your view was no more obstructed than before and that no possible harm could come to others from it being there. In some places that will carry enough legal weight to get the charges dropped but not all places. Always argue for a reduction of charges and fines based on anything you can show to be in your favor (this applies to any court case or fine for anything); usually some good will come from that. Do everything you can (no bribes!) to get the arresting Officer in your favor, for he will have a lot of say in what charges and fines are going to be set against you. Always ask them for a warning ticket instead. And if you are not going to be happy with what this nets you, get a lawyer involved because if there is a way to make the situation better they will know how to do that whereas you might not, plus the prosecutors would rather avoid a lengthy court case which that could bring so they will usually compromise if you have a lawyer involved.

I'm an advocate for State's rights prevailing over unnecessary Federal intrusions, but we really should have one set of laws covering things like this so that nobody gets caught unaware by greedy little cities who have insensible laws which were made more to generate revenue than to protect the public.

Phil

Back