[China] SUV dragged on road for miles after tailgating truck

I watched that earlier, don't think the driver would have lived to talk about it, don't know how the truck driver could have not noticed that kind of impact

In many new cars, the flashers automatically engage after an impact. Not sure if it's just a design of the mechanical switch or tied to some sort of collision sensor.

KuoH

Blinkers are on.

I watched that earlier, don't think the driver would have lived to talk about it, don't know how the truck driver could have not noticed that kind of impact
Seems to me he might have noticed in his mirrors the car under his bumper as it was not totally centered, but maybe not.
As far as noticing the impact, when I was younger and working in our warehouse I was talking to a truck driver one day. Told me how he was at a light waiting to make a right turn. He was actually set across two lanes, with his signals on with the tractor part in the left hand lane so he could cut the corner with a long trailer. What he didnt notice was a woman pull a car up next to him in the right lane. When the light went green he pulled forward and made the turn and the trailer "thumped" as he called it and he thought he had just caught the curb with his rear wheels on the trailer. What actually happened was the woman pulled forward as the light went green and he pulled the trailer across and crushed the entire front of her car. He found out about it when someone pulled up next to him down the road and told him what happened.

Litterally that guy was taken for a drive :D

He was probably taking them to the hospital.

That truck driver seemed oblivious to the DC truck's concerned honking... Hope the occupants of the car were OK.

In response to Roadbug, I agree-- when you've driving a tractor-trailer, once the cab has started to turn, your mirrors are useless for seeing if anybody's snuck in between you and the curb. All you can do at that point is listen/feel. And good luck with that if the cab is noisy. A couple days ago on my drive in to work, a truck pulled into the left lane, with his right turn signal on, and I watched four cars sneak in on the truck's right side. Morons.

Seems to me he might have noticed in his mirrors the car under his bumper as it was not totally centered, but maybe not.
As far as noticing the impact, when I was younger and working in our warehouse I was talking to a truck driver one day. Told me how he was at a light waiting to make a right turn. He was actually set across two lanes, with his signals on with the tractor part in the left hand lane so he could cut the corner with a long trailer. What he didnt notice was a woman pull a car up next to him in the right lane. When the light went green he pulled forward and made the turn and the trailer "thumped" as he called it and he thought he had just caught the curb with his rear wheels on the trailer. What actually happened was the woman pulled forward as the light went green and he pulled the trailer across and crushed the entire front of her car. He found out about it when someone pulled up next to him down the road and told him what happened.

in the 60s my dad used to work with his father, driving a rig used to move mobile homes. it was a cab-over with a huge vertical hitch assembly in the back. they were getting back onto the Massachusetts turnpike after finishing a delivery (so there was no trailer), and everything seemed fine till shortly after they merged into traffic and everyone started honking and waving at them. turns out the car behind them had spent too long looking over his left shoulder to look for a place to merge into, and didn't notice the truck slowing down - he hit the hitch sticking out the back and got his front bumper/grill snagged, and nothing he could do (swerving, braking) would break him free. but dad and grandpa never felt it because it was a relatively small hit, and even without a trailer, the chassis still weighed like 10,000 lbs, plus with the power it had to be able to tow a trailer home, they never noticed the weight of one measly little sedan stuck to the back.

at least they heard/saw everyone honking and waving so they only dragged him about a half mile before they got over to the shoulder.

as for the original video - don't they have CB radios? every truck in america has them... heard them used to tell other drivers things like 'your load has shifted', 'stuff's falling out of your trailer', or 'you've got a blown tire'... that kinda stuff. i didn't hear voice at all. and was surprised that the truck w/ car stuck under it had the gall at the end of the video to honk at the camera truck who had tried to slow/stop him. (unless that was the leftmost truck, also trying to get the right truck's attention about the stuck car...)

this is relevant:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...stitute-petitions-government-for-new-standard

apparently canada has a higher standard than the US for underride guards on the backs of trailers, to prevent this type of accident. if the underride guard had been stronger on the trailer in the original video here, the SUV would have bounced off it and maybe crashed again off the side of the road, and the oblivious truck driver still never would have stopped. but at least the SUV driver would have a much better chance of survival and maybe even walk away from it.

that said, i wonder why they don't require underride/override guards on the front and back of those trucks/jeeps/etc that have been lifted several feet/meters off the ground (and then never go off road). seems like they need them just as much. sure, they'd look stupid, but IMHO they already look stupid, so... *shrug*

my brother saw an accident where one of those monster trucks entered a center turn lane just as a camaro entered the center turn lane from the opposite direction, and neither could stop in time. the truck ran over the camaro as if it was just a ramp, meant to be jumped. the truck's front suspension was destroyed in the jump/crash so it collapsed and the truck fell to its frame once it landed on the other side of the camaro. my brother was on a motorcycle and was busy dodging flying glass and car parts. he didn't stop to help since there was already a cop car behind him who also saw the whole thing, so i don't know how the occupant(s) of the camaro fared. the guy in the truck was probably fine aside from minor stuff just bouncing around.

Automotive bumper regulations are (mostly) harmonized between Canada and the US. Those lifted trucks have their bumpers too high to meet the bumper standard. Same thing with lowered sports cars-- their bumpers are too low to meet the standard.

I'd be surprised if cops here were to pull a car over for being raised/lowered... But you can rest assured that, if pulled over, the driver had better be polite, or the officer will start listing off violations, eventually requiring a provincial inspection to prove that the vehicle is in compliance. (a former co-worker of mine ended up in that situation-- lowered car, bunch of stupid-looking mods inside the car, blue lights on the front, was pulled over for speeding and then the officer got creative).

Back