Choppy playback on iOS smooth on Windows...

Wisstx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Choppy video playback on iOS devices regardless of where the media is located (EXCEPT when streaming from the B1W). Smooth playing (regardless of location when played on Windows OS...

B1W video has choppy video (play-pause-play-pause) about every .5 seconds. However the accompanying audio is smooth.

Video plays (without audio) smoothly via Blueskysea B1w app. Other dashcam files from other brands played video smoothly on iOS.

A Google search shows many possible reasons but one possible issue could be the aspect ratio? iPhones apparently have trouble playing the 4:3 videos. No version of iOS supports 4:3 playback. (So says forums dedicated to iOS video playback issues). You have to convert 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio first...

Do we know what is the video ratio of the B1W is?

Using a different player (VLC) on iOS does not improve the quality. After 3-4 seconds of playback, the video gets choppy and eventually freezes like when being played on the native iOS player. Same end result, but different choppiness.

The good news is that if you needed smooth video, you just need to use a non-iOS player. (Upload video to you choice of cloud location and download or play via Windows OS.

This is the first time I have encountered choppy playback on the iPhone or iPad. I suspect there is a compatibility issue between the B1W mp4 video codec and iOS...

Any experiences or ways that may help Blueskysea to improve this issue?

Last edited:
Choppy video playback on iOS devices regardless of where the media is located (EXCEPT when streaming from the B1W). Smooth playing (regardless of location when played on Windows OS...

B1W video has choppy video (play-pause-play-pause) about every .5 seconds. However the accompanying audio is smooth.

Video plays (without audio) smoothly via Blueskysea B1w app. Other dashcam files from other brands played video smoothly on iOS.

A Google search shows many possible reasons but one possible issue could be the aspect ratio? iPhones apparently have trouble playing the 4:3 videos. No version of iOS supports 4:3 playback. (So says forums dedicated to iOS video playback issues). You have to convert 4:3 to 16:9 aspect ratio first...

Do we know what is the video ratio of the B1W is?

Using a different player (VLC) on iOS does not improve the quality. After 3-4 seconds of playback, the video gets choppy and eventually freezes like when being played on the native iOS player. Same end result, but different choppiness.

The good news is that if you needed smooth video, you just need to use a non-iOS player. (Upload video to you choice of cloud location and download or play via Windows OS.

This is the first time I have encountered choppy playback on the iPhone or iPad. I suspect there is a compatibility issue between the B1W mp4 video codec and iOS...

Any experiences or ways that may help Blueskysea to improve this issue?
We got the same report from other iPhone X series users. It is okay with older iPhone, such as iPhone 6/7/8. Also, we gave a try to add a built-in player for the APP, but it will have one or two dead frames when playback! My support team contacted Apple for help and to see if they can offer a solution!

This has been going on for a while with mine. I honestly thought it was a problem with my camera rather than the app until I read some forum posts.

Do you think it’s something that can be fixed?

We gave a try to built in the VLC player in the APP, but it had a few dead frames when playback on the APP, so we gave it up!

Thanks! I’ll hold out hope that someday it will work. Maybe the new iPhone will fix it.

Is there any chance you could upload one of the files affected please?

Hey, I have iPhone XS Max and a same problem, downloaded video is incredibly choppy. I have tried directly uploading it to Youtube and it ended up uploaded choppy as well.

Could you mind to update it to google drive, and pm me the download link?

I am also having this problem. The only way to get it to play smoothly on IOS that I've found is to upload it to Google Drive and stream it from there, or stream it from the app. It refuses to play nicely any other way. It's really rather annoying; is there an app update coming?

i have this same issue on an xs. This needs to be solved ASAP. i bought this unit specifically so i could wirelessly download videos to my phone regardless of the app. I should be able to playback the videos using the native IOS media player.

Be aware, even local playback via the app still pauses constantly.

Also streaming only being smooth is not an acceptable solution. I need to be able to play back files while not being connected to the dash cam.

my streaming playback is improved but still buffers even with a class 10 card.

Also streaming only being smooth is not an acceptable solution. I need to be able to play back files while not being connected to the dash cam.

my streaming playback is improved but still buffers even with a class 10 card.
As we explained before, there is a missing video codec for the newer iPhones. We will add a built-in player in the newer APP!

A better solution is to update the recorder to use a new codec.

What is the codec that is missing?

I need to ask the APP team for details!

in reading further, i'm finding the following in regards to iphone xs, xsmax, and xr

.mp4 videos must match the these requirements video codecd in HEVC, H.264, MPEG-4 Part 2, and Motion JPEGDolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), or Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+).

are the b1w's mp4 recordings in this format? has anyone tested on an iphone 11 or 11 pro?

.mp4 videos must match the these requirements video codecd in HEVC, H.264, MPEG-4 Part 2, and Motion JPEGDolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), or Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+).

are the b1w's mp4 recordings in this format?

Back