Cigarette adapter alternative

I had someone recently report a mono price cig power and mono price mini USB cable caused the screen to flicker (under power indication). I don't know the exact models they had but they switched to a CPUSB01 hard wire solution and all is well.

If I hard wire I would be running the SGZC12RC off the same "Add a Circuit Fuse Tap", will both cams run off the tap with a 5 Amp fuse or will I need a higher fuse? Can the CPUSB01 handle a higher fuse than a 5 amp?

If I hard wire I would be running the SGZC12RC off the same "Add a Circuit Fuse Tap", will both cams run off the tap with a 5 Amp fuse or will I need a higher fuse? Can the CPUSB01 handle a higher fuse than a 5 amp?

Sorry I thought this was a SG9665GC post. CPUSB01 isn't compatible with SGZC12RC. You should get the Vico-power plus

Sorry it is a SG9665GC but I also am getting the SGZC12RC. So I would split the tap to two lines one for the GC and the other for the RC. Power will only be applied when the engine is on, at this point not really looking to keep it running when parked

so don't go putting a 30A fuse on a circuit where the wire is only rated at 15A.

You may also think about cigarette lighter socket splitter, something like below

WINE AW-Z44 (1).jpg

WINE AW-Z44 (2).jpg

Yeah was think about putting two new cigarette lighter sockets in the glove box. I'll to play around with the location for the RC main unit first before I can decide on wiring options.

I have both these cams and run them off the PANOBDP, tapped into a 5A fuse. I just use a socket splitter like this(not this specific one though). The only trouble I had was the first splitter sucked. Bought a better quality one and has been trouble free ever since.
image.jpg

I was going to do something similar but with a hardwired version. But still toying with ideas on where to put everything so once I have that thought out I'll know what I will need to do to hook it up.

I always thought these were a good idea until a year or two ago when I had one of my cams stop working for a day or so until I noticed it not working, then traced it back to the plug vibrating loose a little bit. I have fully hardwired since.

OK, well then... is the SGZC12RC 12volt? Is it possible to cut the cigarette adapter off the power cord and hardwire from there?

So I could take the original cigarette lighter power lead that came with the camera and cut off the end that goes into the power socket (I think there is also a little black box in the cable....leave that in place), then split the two cables (pos and neg) and use a tap a fuse in the same way as the hardwire kit....effectively turning the cigarette lighter cable into a hardwire kit? I'm working with Nikolai on something and one option I was considering was adding a 2nd cigarette lighter socket by the fusebox and then plugging the original cable into that. Whilst cutting the end off means its no longer "portable" (which isn't a problem as I hide the wires anyway, making it not easy to remove) it would make it a neater solution than adding an extra socket...a bit cheaper and obviously 1 less link in the chain! Could I do it this way?

So I could take the original cigarette lighter power lead that came with the camera and cut off the end that goes into the power socket (I think there is also a little black box in the cable....leave that in place), then split the two cables (pos and neg) and use a tap a fuse in the same way as the hardwire kit....effectively turning the cigarette lighter cable into a hardwire kit? I'm working with Nikolai on something and one option I was considering was adding a 2nd cigarette lighter socket by the fusebox and then plugging the original cable into that. Whilst cutting the end off means its no longer "portable" (which isn't a problem as I hide the wires anyway, making it not easy to remove) it would make it a neater solution than adding an extra socket...a bit cheaper and obviously 1 less link in the chain! Could I do it this way?

For the SG9665GC as long as you leave the in-line square box in place yes. (That's what does the 12V to 5V conversion). My last reply is for the SGZC12RC only.

Back