Circular Polarizing Filter Heat Issues

earlybirdDash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone else have an issue with heat when it comes to the circular polarizing filter that Street Guardian offers? If I leave my car out in the sun for more than 3o minutes, the image becomes blurry enough to the point where it can't even read license plates of cars right in front of me. I've tested my SG9665GC without the filter and I haven't ran into this issue, so it's definitely not the dashcam. I'm thinking the glass can't take the heat. If anyone's experienced this, please let me know if there's a work around, or else I may just 86 this filter.

can't say we've had much in the way of heat related issues reported with the filter, might be a fault with the glass though, @Pier28 will be able to follow up with you and get it sorted

I have the same issue, if the glass gets hot like here in Phoenix, things start getting a little blurry.
One of mine delaminated from the heat, and Pier28 took care of it for me thankfully (great service!).

I wonder if it has something to do with heat trapped between the filter body and the lens...?

It's been 118 here some days, and the new one hasn't shown any delaminating issues, so probably just a fluke.

I have the same issue, if the glass gets hot like here in Phoenix, things start getting a little blurry.
One of mine delaminated from the heat, and Pier28 took care of it for me thankfully (great service!).

I wonder if it has something to do with heat trapped between the filter body and the lens...?

It's been 118 here some days, and the new one hasn't shown any delaminating issues, so probably just a fluke.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just a fluke. I feel the issue is more so caused by the adhesive that binds the layers of the filter together, rather than an issue with the glass itself, but I have no way to verify that, other than seeing some similar delaminating issues posted in these forums. Pier28 is sending a replacement, which should arrive soon, so I'll see if it's an improvement over the one I have currently.

Please let me know when an improved version is available, i'd be very interested.
One other improvement, if possible, is detail - I remember you said something about the CPL making the picture less crisp?

The current filter has four layers of glass, looking at alternatives for a number of benefits they can offer

Long ago , Mine got replaced ..

Last week, I have just noticed that the replacement became delaminate again. I am living in Los Angeles , CA . The weather this summer is quite hot during the day.

Unluckily, I think mine was beyond the warranty period already.

Last week, I have just noticed that the replacement became delaminate again. I am living in Los Angeles , CA . The weather this summer is quite hot during the day.

Send me a private message or email with your original order number, shipping address and email address .

I live in Los Angeles as well, and I just find it strange that our filters falter under average heat so easily. It hasn't gone above 95 degrees for more than a week or so, and all the times I've had issues with my video becoming blurry, it wasn't because the filter was exposed to harsh heat, but rather, pretty standard 75 degree weather, and only for about 15-35 minutes in some random parking lot. As soon as my new replacement filter arrives, I'll report back to this thread and give an update on the functionality.

we didn't have problems with any like this last summer but they were from a different production batch, might be something in a more recent production run that has had problems, we don't make the filters so I'm not sure of any changes that may have happened, will get them sorted though regardless

jokiin,
My last filter was OK until it delaminated.
I'm starting to see more and more issues with the replacement filter so I am taking it off tonight. It is causing videos to be too blurry when it gets hotter. Not to mention the replacement camera @Pier28 sent has always-stuck on pixels of a varying intensity on a certain location at night that has not been fixed with 10 redo's of the
defect pixel routine re-do.

Getting tired of these issues. Quality seems to have gone down, and I am can't recommend the product anymore to friends.

can't say we've had too many issues with the filters, I didn't see any of the last batch though to know if that was a batch issue maybe, we're looking at a new type of filter but not ready yet

Back