Compatible micro sd card for F770

In regards to people using 128GB+ sd cards, my user manual states that the maximum capacity for the F770 is 64GB sd cards. Perhaps this is why the cards can be initially used ok but then starts throwing the error message again? Is there something I'm missing? Has Thinkware extended the capacity? As I can't find an offical Thinkware 64GB sd card for the F770 either...

I have used a 32GB Samsung Evo+ UHS-1 U1 sd card in both of my F770 dashcams with no issues since I bought them 2 years ago and they are both on firmware version 1.00.08. About two months ago I bought 2 of the 64GB versions of the same Samsung sd cards and they have both worked flawlessly in both dash cams. I think as these cards are within the dash cams maximum capacity and they also are UHS-1 U1 cards like the official Thinkware cards, they seem to be working with no issues. If the F770 can take a 128GB card, I'd love to get one but don't want to risk it in case it doesn't like the higher capacity.

I have even changed the date in the SDCARD_FORMAT_TIME.bin file to a year from now and haven't had the "reformat" message come on for the last 2 months.

Hi All,

This is a great thread and thanks for everyone sharing the experiences for various cards.

In Short, I have tested 2 cards and can confirm the following
1) Samsung Evo Plus2 U3 microSDXC UHS-I Card / Class 10 (64GB) (DOES NOT work either firmware 1.00.06 or 1.00.08)
2) SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1 (Works on Firmware 1.00.06. Did not try it on 1.00.08)

Special thanks to everyone who have helped in one way or another (e.g. the cards that work or doesn't, the old firmware downloads, the formatting to FAT32 for larger cards, etc.)

There are sort of 3 big variables here that we are dealing with
1) Thinkware: Camera/Chip Manufactured Date and Firmware.
We could only change the Firmware of the camera we have on hand. (upgrade or downgrade)

2) SD Cards: Over time, even the same looking/colour SD Card may have upgraded their controller or U1 to U3 (UHS)

3) File Format on SD Card: FAT32 or exFAT

1) For my first Samsung Card above.
a) Firmware downgrade to 1.00.06
b) Format on F770 and Desktop to FAT32
Either I will get Memory Card Error or Integrity issue. It doesn't fail on first few tests (usually parking mode) but later when you restart your car engine for a longer drive

2) For the SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1
a) I stick with the current Firmware of 1.00.06 (did not try upgrading back to 1.00.08 or downgrading to 1.00.03)
b) Did not have to format the card (use as is, exFAT)
So far no issues after 2 days. Stick to my "Don't fix it unless it is broken" belief.
If it fails, I may try formatting to FAT32 and/or downgrade Firmware to 1.00.03

I strongly suspect the "U1" criteria seems important based on the inputs from everyone. U3 is faster but not generally accepted on our F770.

Just an update to my earlier post.
For the SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1
a) Tried with old/downgraded Firmware of 1.00.06
b) Did not have to format the card (use as is, exFAT) and had no issues for period of 7 days.
- ~220 minutes of continuous recording (60% of card and overwriting has started)
c) Had just upgraded the firmware back to 1.00.08, so far no issues for 3 days

Just an update to my earlier post.
For the SanDisk Ultra A1 64gb U1
a) Tried with old/downgraded Firmware of 1.00.06
b) Did not have to format the card (use as is, exFAT) and had no issues for period of 7 days.
- ~220 minutes of continuous recording (60% of card and overwriting has started)
c) Had just upgraded the firmware back to 1.00.08, so far no issues for 3 days

I have been using Sandisk Ultra A1 128gb U1 with firmware 1.00.06 for the past 2 months. So far no issue, Will try 1.00.08.

Hi
I have a Samsung Evo Plus 256gb working in my F770
At first it prompted to format card every time i turned on the ignition.
I looked at the original 32gb thinkware card and saw it had 4mb empty space before partition.
I took the card out of the camera and created the partition with a 4mb space before it and put it back in the camera and for the last week it has worked without issue.

Interesting! Has anyone else tried doing this? It's be great to see if this was the solution everyone's been looking for after all these years; something as simple as formatting the card so it has 4mb of unallocated space at the beginning of the partition table.

something as simple as formatting the card so it has 4mb of unallocated space at the beginning of the partition table
It's not that simple - how do you do it?

It's not that simple - how do you do it?

On Windows you need to use a third-party partition tool to do it.

Edit: It occurred to me that probably wasn't any better than me saying "it's simple" as in the previous post. To elaborate, personally I use something called GParted which has it's own bootable iso that you can use for Windows and is even easier to use if you have Linux or macOS. There are other tools available for free on Windows and other platforms that'll probably do the job but I recommend just downloading the GParted iso and burning it to a CD-R or following the instructions on the GParted website to install it onto a USB flash drive. Then you just need to boot it, get through the handful of setup options and eventually a Linux desktop loads and you can run GParted to format your SD card. This is the simple part I refer to as it's as simple as deleting existing partitions (so back up data first of course), and then creating a new partition and making sure there's 4mb of unallocated space before the partition. I'm sure there are plenty of guides out there that go into great swathes of detail about how to do all this.

Last edited:
Edit: It occurred to me that probably wasn't any better than me saying "it's simple" as in the previous post. To elaborate, personally I use something called GParted which has it's own bootable iso that you can use for Windows and is even easier to use if you have Linux or macOS. There are other tools available for free on Windows and other platforms that'll probably do the job but I recommend just downloading the GParted iso and burning it to a CD-R or following the instructions on the GParted website to install it onto a USB flash drive. Then you just need to boot it, get through the handful of setup options and eventually a Linux desktop loads and you can run GParted to format your SD card. This is the simple part I refer to as it's as simple as deleting existing partitions (so back up data first of course), and then creating a new partition and making sure there's 4mb of unallocated space before the partition. I'm sure there are plenty of guides out there that go into great swathes of detail about how to do all this.
Thanks, but wow this is way too complicated a process.
Is there, like, some free software you can just install on to Windows 10 and with a few clicks, have it format the card with a 4mb unallocated partition?
Don't even know whether to format it NTFS or exFAT or what.
Would be awesome if there was a simple tutorial.
When I try it, 8mb is the minimum Windows will do.

Thanks, but wow this is way too complicated a process.
Is there, like, some free software you can just install on to Windows 10 and with a few clicks, have it format the card with a 4mb unallocated partition?
Don't even know whether to format it NTFS or exFAT or what.
Would be awesome if there was a simple tutorial.
When I try it, 8mb is the minimum Windows will do.

You could try 8mb I suppose? Might still work. Open Disk Management in Windows 10. Delete the partitions on the SD card so it's entirely made up of unallocated space. Create one partition that's 8mb in size, then create another partition that fills up the rest of the card (format them as exFAT), then delete the first 8mb partition so it becomes unallocated space again. This way the unallocated space is at the start of the card. I mean, it'll either work or it won't. If not we'll have to wait until someone tried it with 4mb of unallocated space, but as I've said a third party tool will be needed to do it that way. Just to make all this a waste of time it probably won't work even with 4mb of space so I suggest no one get their hopes up.

Anyway to answer your other question, yes there are free tools online that'll probably do the job and there will be guides on how to use them but you'll have to Google them because as I'm happy with GParted and don't use anything else so can't help you with them.

memory cards should only be formatted FAT32 or exFAT
. I read some where that it was not good to have exFat???? Which is it? My new card is exFat

Last edited:
. I read some where that it was not good to have exFat???? Which is it? My new card is exFat
the camera will work with either exFAT or FAT32, whichever one it is it's best to format in the device so the card is configured accordingly

Microsoft developed exFAT and it is actually optimised for SD cards and USB flash drives. It is better than FAT32 in various ways but the main examples are that you can have file sizes larger than 4gb using it like NTFS, but despite it's proprietary nature it's actually more widely compatible with different operating systems unlike NTFS. You should only really use FAT32 in this day and age if you absolutely need to; i.e. because the device you're using the card/stick with doesn't support exFAT.

Last edited:
On this post, April 28: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/compatible-micro-sd-card-for-f770.20034/post-465204 I said I would update on how the 400 GB SanDisk card would do. Well, I have to say that things are a mix of good and bad. The good thing is the 2 CH camera records with no problem until it reaches 60%, around 240 GB (I chose partition type A ).

F770 - Partition type A.png
Now the bad...

Once the card has filled the continuous recording segment to 60% the device won't do the loop and won't start overwriting old files, it will record and truncate videos instead leaving old ones untouched. The camera looks "confused" because it takes longer to turn off and when it finally does sometimes I hear no beep. Almost forgot, when turning ignition on I get the "Format Memory Card" message, however it boots up without formatting and records like I said before.

Last edited:
On this post, April 28: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/compatible-micro-sd-card-for-f770.20034/post-465204 I said I would update on how the 400 GB SanDisk card would do. Well, I have to say that things are a mix of good and bad. The good thing is the 2 CH camera records with no problem until it reaches 60%, around 240 GB (I chose partition type A ).

View attachment 48683
Now the bad...

Once the card has filled the continuous recording segment to 60% the device won't do the loop and won't start overwriting old files, it will record and truncate videos instead leaving old ones untouched. The camera looks "confused" because it takes longer to turn off and when it finally does sometimes I hear no beep. Almost forgot, when turning ignition on I get the "Format Memory Card" message, however it boots up without formatting and records like I said before.

You cannot use Partition Type A on this card because it will hit the limit and stop. Try C then B. Another possible way is to fill the continuous recording folder with a dump file until it is 220GB for example which is less than the limit you are hitting at 240gb and see if it loops.

I have recently upgraded my Thinkware 64gb card to a Sandisk Ultra UHS-1 A1 128gb card, my firmware is the last Thinkware update version 1 .0.0.8, the format was left at exfat as supplied, what I did was copy all files from the thinkware card to the new 128gb card, and it's been working for perfectly for about 100 miles plus driving and 7hours of motion detection parking, I will keep everyone informed if this changes but so far every thing is good, I'm not sure what partition I set the card on it was either B or C from what I recall it was the partition that gave the longest parking.(y):)

Hi
I have a Samsung Evo Plus 256gb working in my F770
At first it prompted to format card every time i turned on the ignition.
I looked at the original 32gb thinkware card and saw it had 4mb empty space before partition.
I took the card out of the camera and created the partition with a 4mb space before it and put it back in the camera and for the last week it has worked without issue.

Interesting! Has anyone else tried doing this? It's be great to see if this was the solution everyone's been looking for after all these years; something as simple as formatting the card so it has 4mb of unallocated space at the beginning of the partition table.

I had the *exact* same problem with the Samsung Evo 256 GB...but it ate my card! (there's a space above the actual MicroSD slot in the plastic frame)

Couldn't figure how to open it up - took out the 4 screws on one flat surface...

The easiest way I have found to avoid inserting the memory card into that gap on the F770 is to leave the wires attached and slide the camera of the mounting, you can then see more clearly where the actual memory card slot is. especially of windscreens with acute angles.

To take the camera apart to remove the memory card if you check this thread you should be able to take it apart. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ry-card-for-data-integrity-error.35541/page-3

Last edited:
Hi, this topic needs some updates. :)
Is here someone, who tried 512 GB memory cards in F770? My hot favorit for this is Sandisks A1 card, SDSQUA4-512G-GN6MA for 82 €.

Two weeks ago I bought the Sandisk A1 512GB memory card (SDSQUA4-512G-GN6MA), and no problems with it in the F770 till this moment. We are planning a longer trip to Italy at the end of July, I will update my experience with the 512 GB memory card after that.

Two weeks ago I bought the Sandisk A1 512GB memory card (SDSQUA4-512G-GN6MA), and no problems with it in the F770 till this moment. We are planning a longer trip to Italy at the end of July, I will update my experience with the 512 GB memory card after that.
Did you format the card in the Thinkware? When you look at the card in a computer, what size is it? Is it filling up all 512 gig when in use?

Back