COMPUTER WILL NOT RECOGNISE DASHCAM ....... HELP PLEASE!

devilishlygood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have just joined this group in the hope somebody can assist me.
I took delivery today of a Novatek G1WH (though nowhere on camera, box or instructions is Novatek mentioned - have I been duped and inadvertently bought a copy?).
I formatted a Toshiba 32Gb micro SD card on my computer, put it in the camera then plugged that into my computer - fully expecting the computer to say "New hardware found, downloading software" or whatever it usually says, but nothing! The computer is not recognising the camera or downloading the software (I assume it should in order to play the video files).
On the rear of the camera whilst plugged into the computer I have:-
Top left - a 'tool' symbol (spanner and screwdriver).
Top right - 'USB'
Then under that, highlighted in blue - 'Mass storage'
NONE of the camera buttons work. I hear the 'beep' when I press the buttons but nothing happens.
Anybody any idea what I am doing/ have done wrong please and how to rectify this situation?

Also, the instructions tell me that (IF I can get it working in the car) my video options are:-
1080HFD (I've never heard of HFD), 1920X1080, 1080P, 1440x1080, 720P & 1280x720.
If I can get this thing working, which of these choices do I chose for the best video quality as to this simpleton they are totally meaningless!!
Thanks in advance,
Pete

I would format the card IN the Dashcam.

I actually did that not 30 seconds before your reply.
I have now reconnected it to the computer .............. but still nothing unfortunately.
Dashcam is still exactly as it was i.e. computer not recognising it and no buttons working whilst it is connected.
Thanks anyway.

Aha, I've solved it!
Whilst playing around with the camera after posting my original post (on battery power only) I discovered that the top 'Photo' button also acted as an 'OK' function - and this is not mentioned in the instructions!
I then input the date and time and altered a few other settings with the menu and the 'camera/OK button.
I reconnected it to the computer again, then with the camera automatically switched on (because a power source was detected) I then pressed this newly found 'OK' button and hey presto! The computer recognised the device and downloaded the software.
Phew!!

All beginnings are not easy. ;) You found the error so everything is well. :)

In reply to Street Guardian - the computer said New device found, downloading software, click here to see progress' or words to that effect.
Still, at least it found it and providing I don't have any problems later today fitting it in the car and seeing it work, then I am confident my computer will now read the data on the memory card so that I can transfer clips if needs-be.

I am still a little concerned though because of the lack of makers name anywhere on the packaging/instructions/camera itself. Is this normal or have I bought a fake - I bought it off Amazon as I assumed this would be safer than Ebay.
The only makers reference is a sticker(!) on the box mentioning G1WH. Surely 'Novatek G1WH' should be written on the box, on the camera and/or on the front of the instruction booklet??

Novatek is the chipset manufacturer, not related to the brand of the camera, G1WH is a generic model, not a branded product

Back