Connecting 2 single channels dash cams to OBD port with a Y-splitter

guest2018

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone successfully connected 2 single channel (2k-4k) dashcams to a Y-splitter OBD port? I'm tired of 1080/30 rear cams that produce crappy videos. My idea is to get same or different brand single channel 2k-4k cams. I don't want to buy hardwire kits, don't want to mess with the fuses. I want to try a Y-splitter > voltage cut off switch > OBD port. My current dual channel cam draws 2A. It's not hardwired. Whenever i part for a short period of time i plug it into a 20A power bank and then back into a car adapter when i drive. It's very annoying to constantly unplug replug. I want something permanent. I don't know if OBD port can accomodate 2 dash cams, if each draws at least 2A. I assume the splitter and voltage switch would need to be able to handle at least 4A output. Higher is better? I remember reading somewhere the switch should cut off at 11.9V. Current Vantrue hardwire kit cuts off at 11.6(?) I've never connected anything to OBD other than scantools, never hardwired. Is it doable? If so, would it be better to buy the same brand or different brand cameras? I prefer the same and control both with voice or remote.

Back