Conway almost bites it....

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
This happened in front of me the other day at work. Its not all that exciting, but in real life, well you know, its much more dramatic. Fortunately we werent going too fast or he might completely lost it. I had to zoom the video a bit to see it better, so thats the poor quality.

How the hell you manage to do that going 15mph is beyond me

I just looked at the raw footage, and believe it or not, I was going 62mph when it happened. It was so far in front of me that I had to zoom the video to see it better and it makes it appear as if we're going slower.

How the hell you manage to do that going 15mph is beyond me
Drop a lit cigarette/spill hot coffee in your lap or discover a wasp/hornet buzzing around your face, and suddenly driving becomes the LAST thing on your mind.

Edit: Or maybe one of his front tires blew out?

Edit 2: or maybe he was receiving a "favor"and something else blew out :D

Naw, it was new pavement with 2 dropoffs to the old pavement. Im guessing he was reaching for something, or had one hand lightly on the wheel and his front right caught the edge and sent him right. He jerked the wheel back and then corrected his overcorrection.

Hmmm...if that truck was going around 62mph it looks like he would flip over after a jerk like that...
Maybe the dash cam doesn't tell speed very well kinda like it doesn't show the real distance between two vehicles

Hmmm...if that truck was going around 62mph it looks like he would flip over after a jerk like that...
Maybe the dash cam doesn't tell speed very well kinda like it doesn't show the real distance between two vehicles
i expect any camera will have trouble at that distance, wide angle or not. he also could have been empty, which would have made it easier to recover (in theory). being empty would also allow the trailers to kick out a lot easier as well. i know i did that more than once when pulling an empty trailer with my miata. :D

i expect any camera will have trouble at that distance, wide angle or not. he also could have been empty, which would have made it easier to recover (in theory). being empty would also allow the trailers to kick out a lot easier as well. i know i did that more than once when pulling an empty trailer with my miata. :D

Touché...no load there. Upon looking at the video again, I just can't imagine the traffic was moving at 62mph. I'm looking at the construction signs and how long it takes for the vehicles to cover the distance between them....doesn't make sense to the human eye test.

They don't call those dual trailers 'wiggle wagons' for no reason.
:)

I mentioned on another thread where the video showed up. Those Conway trucks have the 'drive cam' system installed, which should have sent his safety department a segment of video before this happened, and the event. (Triggered by the stability sensor in the truck, assuming it has one)

If he was doing something inside the truck he wasn't supposed to be doing, it will show up on the video. That system has a forward facing camera, and one facing the driver.

Here is the result of Con-Way biting my car, at 5:30 am, I'm doing 55 mph, and there are 4 OTHER lanes available, and NO OTHER CARS, but yet this guy decided to run up and crush my car. THIS is what made me buy my first dash cam. And also realize don't store your firearms in the trunk of your car, because you might not be able to open the trunk prior to it being towed. Luckily, the one on my person did not suffer the same fate.

Hehe @boilers when my first car was rear ended we was on our way to shoot some rifles owned by a friend with a hunting license, so i never got to shoot a rifle "sort of legally" that day.
And the rifle and scope in the back of my Volvo 121 was a mess.

I could have been carrying illegally that day, cuz when i called the cops ( 2 times ) on the drunk that rammed me they dident want to come, and the cop cars passing slowly by on the highway ( 2 of them ) dident want to stop for 2 crashed cars and at least 3 ppl waving their hands :mad:

That was the day when i lost what little respect i had left for police and the lawmaking ppl here ( this was +30 years ago )

O and this was in the old days when the police actually worked a lot better here :oops::(:mad::rolleyes:

We literally just came into the construction zone down to one lane and I was slowing to take the exit. I was doing 62 and by the end of the video I was down to 41 as I took the exit. Like I said, I had to really zoom in the video which really distorts the depth perception and perception of speed. Im guessing his back box was empty as well.

Back