Corrupted files

Have you fully checked/tested the card with the programs suggested here first

As per my experience this is a power related issue. Switching to the included cable took care of the corruption issue.

Its amazing how cheap aftermarket gear can cause so many issues

Its amazing how cheap aftermarket gear can cause so many issues

Especially in the a119S's case. Cables from Monoprice that work without any issues with my SG9665GC and two Mobius cameras simply refuse to work reliably with the a119S, had multiple instances of corrupted files.

The power draw seems higher, which generic cables aren't able to support...

I would avoid Lexar cards as many have been having issues with the latest batches from them.

Is this a V1 camera? Are you using the GPS mount? Could be that the camera is restarting due to a poor power issue. If it's a V1 model, be sure your powering it via the USB port on the camera and not the GPS mount. Could also be the USB adapter as they have been known to not fit well in certain cars 12V ports, causing screen flicker and/or camera restarts. That would cause your files to look as they do.

I picked up a VIOFO A119S in the Spring and have noticed an ongoing problem with corrupted files.

The first few files will be fine, proper length (~400-500MB) but then remaining files are 5-10MB and are corrupted. This is using a Transcend High Endurance 32GB micro SD Card.

I thought upgrading the firmware might help (upgraded it, reset all the options and formatted the sd card after) and no luck. I still get mostly corrupted files.

Any thoughts?
Have you tried this yet?
https://www.transcend-info.com/support/verification

Dang, only noticed yesterday that mine wasn't really recording anything. Last good file was on the 21st, all the rest were either a few seconds long, or all black, or messed up looking. Was getting the XXXX in bottom left for the first time (Or for the last 2 weeks apparently)I just reinstalled the firmware, reset defaults, and reformatted. We'll see how long this lasts.

Sucks since I only really check it when something interesting happens. Car was signalling so I left room in front of me for at least 5 seconds, then thought "oh well, maybe they don't know it's on." So I started speeding up and they cut me off at the last second, even saw their passenger in the back seat turn around and look at me.

The power draw seems higher, which generic cables aren't able to support...

I agree, but somewhere specs were given and by the numbers (which I don't remember exactly) they seemed normal- always less than 500mA. Yet every evidence points to this cam requiring more than usual amount of current :eek: Power it well and then it's reliable ;)

Phil

I agree, but somewhere specs were given and by the numbers (which I don't remember exactly) they seemed normal- always less than 500mA. Yet every evidence points to this cam requiring more than usual amount of current :eek: Power it well and then it's reliable ;)

Phil

Trying this, now. Just hooked up the original cable and USB car charger and will let it run for a month and see what I have.

Went for about 4 weeks (formatted card before starting) with the original/included USB cable and USB power adapter. Same problem: corrupted files.

I'm now debating between just giving up entirely and tossing it or ordering another micro SD card.

I'm pretty much tired of fooling with it after 6 months.

Last edited:
Went for about 4 weeks (formatted card before starting) with the original/included USB cable and USB power adapter. Same problem: corrupted files.
I'm pretty much tired of fooling with it after 6 months.
I also would have suspected a power problem, because most of your short files reported here have the sequence number ...001.mp4 which normally is applied to the first file after a power-up. This could indicate power cycling which can occur in as little as 15 seconds or so between cycles and usually corrupts the file. Power cycling should cause the startup sound and the momentary VIOFO Logo display each time the camera powers up. Disappointed original cable and 12 to 5Vdc converter didn't help. To separate camera problems from car power wiring problems, you might try powering the camera at home with the supplied short cable and a USB +5Vdc wall charger or USB 5Vdc power bank (a computer won't work, you get the mass storage screen). Power the camera using the side input connection, not the GPS mount input. I've used and abused Transcend High Endurance 32 and 64GByte cards for a year or so and they have worked fine for me. By the way, corrupt files may be restored frequently by playing back the file in the camera.

Last edited:
I let it run for a day, plugged into a USB port (charging) at home and it looks like there was no corruption. That suggests that it's a power issue. I'll swap the cables in the car and maybe try to find a USB charger capable of 3.1A.

I let it run for a day, plugged into a USB port (charging) at home and it looks like there was no corruption. That suggests that it's a power issue. I'll swap the cables in the car and maybe try to find a USB charger capable of 3.1A.
If you want to test more before spending money, you could check the cig socket adapter function in the car using the supplied short cable with the A119 dismounted from the windshield. If you see heavy flickering on the A119 LCD screen or the A119 turning itself on and off (power cycling), that's a sign of insufficient power getting to the A119. I've read that the Viofo supplied cig socket adapter doesn't connect well to some car cig adapter sockets, so you might check that. You could check camera function indoors using the long cable (in place of the short cable) indoors with a wall charger to verify your supplied long cable is good. Gently flex the cable near the ends to look for intermittent problems. Worst of all it could be the combined affect of both components being marginal or exhibiting an intermittent problem.

It's working. The problem, it seems, was with the USB connection on the GPS module. If I plug the power into the camera the camera works fine and it even feeds power back to the GPS module as I was getting GPS data in my last test. I could swap out the GPS module but I'm just going to accept it as it is and let it be. It's not like I'm taking it down everyday or anything.

Many thanks for the help/suggestions.

As I get older I find I have very little tolerance for troubleshooting this stuff. At 25 I'd have spent days on it. As I near 50 I just want it to work.

Congratulations on isolating and solving the problem.
You are still a youngster at 50. I'm on the sunny side of 81.
You've got a long life ahead of you to play with a dash cam amongst other things.
I hope you have lots of fun with your A119S.

I had the same experience with the GPS module. The unit did ship with rubber stoppers that could be used to create a better/tighter fit. But I just stopped using the GPS unit and plugged into the side. Mine is a V2 unit.

Back