Cost not an option - which camera to buy?

Rasta Pickles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so please be gentle :)

Love the site, I've just stumbled across it.......I've been thinking of a dashcam setup for a while now and coming here and seeing the quality of some of the clips has convinced me to take the plunge.

Well, if I'm honest, it's not just that.......twice today I was carved up and if it weren't for my spatial awareness I'd have been involved in a collision on both occasions.

The UK, for some reason, seems to be suffering from an increasing deterioration in driving ability; it could be something to do with the increasing number of immigrants coming here with feeble road skills or it could be the indigenous who just don't care......plus, the risk of getting bumped by a non-insured vehicle has convinced me to get a front and rear camera fitted.

But which one?

My first question is: isn't anything less than 100fps inadequate? I'm just basing that question on the CCTV setup I have at home......100fps is real time, wouldn't you want that in a dashcam?

So what do I buy? Cost isn't an option although all I want is something that records in good quality with sound.....I'm not interested in plotting my route on Google Maps or whatever.

The only thing I'd point out is that my car has lane assist which means a sensor is fitted to the rear view mirror so any setup would have to take that into account.

Thanks for any pointers and thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, welcome to the forum!

The UK, for some reason, seems to be suffering from an increasing deterioration in driving ability; (...) it could be the indigenous who just don't care...
I'd go with that second reason and it's not only the UK. It seems a certain generation of drivers have lost the notion of good and bad or were brought up without the conscience that laws are to be obbeyed. Another reason is, with the increase of life expectancy, there are more old people still driving without updating their driving knowledge to deal with things like motorways, dual carriageways or even roundabouts.

I've been driving/riding since 1988 and only this year I felt the need to buy a dashcam, although they've been around for quite a while. There's always been drivers/riders who don't stop at stop signs or don't use the indicators but lately the number of people who do it rose to worrying proportions.

if money is no object, reach out to a company and have them develop a cam to your specifications. sure it will cost thousands in R and D but you said money is no object... :rolleyes:

my opinion (we all have one) is to find a company with top shelf customer service who keeps their products up to date, are easily available and put the customer first. Street Guardian and the products @Pier28 sell are tops in my book.

if money is no object, reach out to a company and have them develop a cam to your specifications. sure it will cost thousands in R and D but you said money is no object... :rolleyes:

my opinion (we all have one) is to find a company with top shelf customer service who keeps their products up to date, are easily available and put the customer first. Street Guardian and the products @Pier28 sell are tops in my book.
+1 :)

The reasons are many why people exercise worse driving habits than ever before. It's not likely to change for the better either. Most good dashcams do 30FPS @1080+ and that is almost always more than good enough. Check out the raw footage posted from the cams you are considering and I think you will agree. Buy from a UK seller recommended on this site in case you have problems; warranty service from China can be more of a headache than it's worth. OL!

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
The JooVuu price on that link is now £81.66. That really is a good deal!

I think the site knows you're outside the UK, so omits the 20% VAT that UK buyers are liable to pay. The price I'm seeing is £97.99 which is VAT inclusive.

I think the site knows you're outside the UK, so omits the 20% VAT that UK buyers are liable to pay. The price I'm seeing is £97.99 which is VAT inclusive.

Ah....I was wondering if it was doing something like that. I've seen a similar thing happen on Banggood and if you pay close attention you can actually see the price change suddenly just after landing on the page.

Considering the relatively reasonable shipping costs (£6.50 max) , it would still be quite a good deal for me though!

The dreaded V.A.T. makes the end-pricing in the U.K. and other places which have it higher. That's something we're not used to thinking about on our side of the Atlantic ocean. It's been considered here, I just hope it never comes to pass.

Phil

Anyone in the U.S. Want to order one to my house and I'll PP you? Lol

We always get a bum deal on pricing in the UK :(

We always get a bum deal on pricing in the UK :(

Thanks to the likes of http://www.hotukdeals.com it is possible to get good deals in the UK. HUKD can be addictive ... I'm awaiting delivery of a 7" Lenovo A7 Tablet for £45 ... I don't need it but couldn't resist it.

Back