Could dashcam timestamp self-incriminate you for speeding?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's nice to show the time in the dashcam footage to dispute parking tickets etc, but with the video + timestamp LEO could theoretically inference the travel speed based on distance travelled / time.

On the other hand, a dashcam footage with no time/GPS data could still be usable for accident evidence but your speed will not be determinable without knowing for sure what the frame rate/recording speed was at the time of recording.

If there's an accident with fatalities or significant physical harm (dismemberment, etc.), there are other ways to determine if you were speeding, etc. Most people wont bother fighting parking tickets unless they go over certain "breaking point" (but the vast majority of PTs written aren't breaking point tickets which is why the majority of people don't fight them). Yet, most PDs will go after every conceivable piece of data to use as evidence against you if there were fatalities.

Well first of all is that we're not supposed to be speeding, and if we aren't then whatever the cam footage shows about that will be in our favor. GPS readings from dashcams aren't generally accepted as fully accurate evidence regards speed, but they can show steadiness, accelerating and braking, as well as infer your speed testimony is accurate. A time-distance study based on your video can be made which will exactly show your speed, and that is admissible evidence if it is done as local laws proscribe. It's not likely to be done to use against you unless it's a hugely important factor in a case which warrants the time and effort it requires. Nothing need be known about the cam to do this; all there needs to be is any uninterrupted real-time recording with positively fixed points to measure against that clearly show in your footage.

All of us find ourselves violating traffic rules and laws sometimes; none of us are perfect. This is completely normal and expected behavior even if it's not really acceptable in our society. Minor violations do occur and rarely are they seen as being more than a contributing factor to whatever the major error was that caused a crash. This may be seen differently if there are numerous minor errors evident in your footage, especially if further review shows you have a history of committing those errors regularly. Almost never does going very slightly over the speed limit cause more than you being shown to have not been completely faultless, and that almost never affects the legal outcome of a case significantly.

I always liken a dashcam to a double-edged sword; it can cut both ways. But if you wield it well and carefully it can do more to defend you than anything else can. You know how you drive already (or you should) so if you're not making a concerted effort to drive legally and safely you're better off without a dashcam :eek: Dashcams can protect you against others but they cannot and will not protect you from yourself :cautious: Study your own footage with a critical eye to see those things you need to improve on in your own driving, then make those improvements; then your dashcam will become your best friend and ally should things go wrong :cool:

Phil

If you worry about speeding, maybe cuz you do it a lot ( often and a lot over the limit ) or even just do it a little like we all do now and then, well then you should not have a dashcam, stamps of any kind in the footage or not.
In general i find that most people are oblivious to a dashcam system, at least if it is stealthy installed or at least procured with that in mind cuz some windscreen layouts are more suited to some camera shapes than others )
Often the wedge shaped cameras come off as a sensor of some sort, but not if it is mounted next to a huge sensor island on the windscreen, in that case a barrel shaped system mounted on or just below the sensor array might be better.
And a dashcam should be stealthy i feel, it have always been #1 in my book, just as i got involved in testing cameras, then having 3-4-5 on the windscreen, thats not stealthy at all.
Depending on where you live placement on the windscreen can also be somewhat of a issue due to rules.
I have a really cheap car, so the mirror come off the roof as there are no sensors in my car, so in front of the mirror i have enough room for my fat head, and quite a few dashcams, so i can mount on the dotted area there so it is just the bottom 1/3 of the camera that can be directly seen from the outside.

Even if a cop saw your camera, i dont think he can just "yank" it and use its content against you, at least i dont think thats a option here in Denmark.

I have always used GPS speed stamp in my systems and time / date

Back