COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To suggest that Belgium is the worst is ridiculous, they are averaging 2 deaths per day, total, not per million, while the USA is 1200 and increasing!

Well, I was referring to the fact that Belgium has the highest death rate per million population in the world and the UK is in second place.

How amusing that of all the data presented you choose to focus on Belgium and ignore what an ongoing disaster the UK has been mired in since the get go. :LOL:

Deaths per million.
belgium.jpg

UK-deaths_per.jpg

USA.jpg

Well, I was referring to the fact that Belgium has the highest...
But that isn't a fact is it? It is just a figure!

Looking at the column to the left we see that USA has 3 times the number of infections compared to UK and nearly 3 times compared to Belgium, despite the UK doing the most testing. Clearly once everyone has been counted, the excess death figures will look very different. New York, which has counted more of its deaths, currently has 2x the Belgium death figure at 1,679 per million, the southern states are following New York, while Belgium has almost finished and has counted more covid deaths than excess deaths so will have to revise its final figures downwards rather than upwards like the USA will!

But that isn't a fact is it? It is just a figure!

Looking at the column to the left we see that USA has 3 times the number of infections compared to UK and nearly 3 times compared to Belgium, despite the UK doing the most testing. Clearly once everyone has been counted, the excess death figures will look very different. New York, which has counted more of its deaths, currently has 2x the Belgium death figure at 1,679 per million, the southern states are following New York, while Belgium has almost finished and has counted more covid deaths than excess deaths so will have to revise its final figures downwards rather than upwards like the USA will!

Amusing how statistics are now conveniently dismissed as mere "figures" as if they are meaningless. But these death numbers under discussion are based on population and the UK death per million population "figures" are the highest in Europe and among the very highest is the world!

You know, Nigel, ever since the COVID pandemic began to unfold and going back to the early days of this thread you have been putting on airs, displaying a smug attitude of superiority and condescension towards other nations and their citizens, especially the US. Not only is this inappropriate and a violation of the rules here on DCT but it is an entirely false narrative when it comes to the situation in your country. The UK is fast approaching 50,000 deaths since late January, an unmitigated disaster considering your population of about 67,800,000 and now beginning to spike again after the ill-advised national pub crawl on July 4th with drunken crowds of non-social distancing revelers throwing beer bottles and shouting insults at retreating squads of police officers and your economy is in a shambles, said to be "heading for its worst crash in 300 years".

You can attempt to spin things however you damn like but the "figures" do indeed tell the story.

Raw figures do not lie. And even when you add in some leeway for possible errors you still get the same results with this virus. The UK, US, and Brazil have screwed up completely in handling this pandemic and are experiencing the highest infection and death rates in the world. Nobody else comes close no matter how you measure it unless you twist facts and ignore some of them first to favor your calculations.

The medical and scientific world is finally reaching agreement on most aspects of this disease and is now mostly a single voice in their recommendations and predictions. There is now clearly a right way to handle Covid-19 and all the rest are wrong. There is nothing left to question or debate; all that is left is to see what happens from here and hope that society at large has paid attention to and remembers who screwed up so that efforts can be made to keep them from having the opportunity to do that again.

Phil

I think some south American countries actually did alright and in a timely manner, it is just the people down there are so poor they cant really live up to their governments recommendations.
India and others are probably also challenged in this way.

Delhi's seen a decline for the past couple of weeks, from approximately 3K+ cases a day to a 1000. Overall though, numbers are still going up, almost 50K a day.

The medical and scientific world is finally reaching agreement on most aspects of this disease and is now mostly a single voice in their recommendations and predictions. There is now clearly a right way to handle Covid-19 and all the rest are wrong. There is nothing left to question or debate; all that is left is to see what happens from here and hope that society at large has paid attention to and remembers who screwed up so that efforts can be made to keep them from having the opportunity to do that again.

While the medical and scientific professionals may have reached consensus about the basic facts of the SARS CoV-2 pandemic, we unfortunately have far right wing "conservative" media operatives spreading falsehoods and conspiracy theories for their own cyncial political purposes.

Sinclair Broadcasting Group, owner and operator of 193 TV stations across the US in over 100 markets (covering 40% of American households) has plans to broadcast the 26 minute film Plandemic this weekend promoting falsehoods and conspiracies about the COVID-19 pandemic wherein it is claimed that Dr. Anthony Fauci created COVID-19 and other corona viruses, along with other false and inflammatory disinformation about vaccines, the Gates Foundation and all manner of nonsense such as the assertion that the coronavirus is “activated” by face masks, and other bizarre claims. Certain parts of the country obtain most of their news reporting from Sinclair Broadcasting, especially their numerous Fox New affiliates.

Local TV stations across US to air conspiracy theory on Fauci

The “Plandemic” Conspiracy Theorist Is Coming to a TV Near You

Last edited:

@Dashmellow I had to give your post a "like" but sadly the stuff you referred to makes me nauseous.

In our wonderful Freedom of Speech here in the US, telling lies is also permissible with very few very specific exceptions. You can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded cinema because of the danger to the public which would ensue when everyone ran to the exits, possibly causing harm or being harmed due to that. In this example nearly the same thing happens; but it falls below that legal standard. And the challenging of lies made against an individual can only come from that individual; nobody else can act on their behalf without power of attorney being assigned, so if Fauci is being maligned here, only Fauci can take action over that.

Those things need to be reviewed and changed in our laws but it won't happen anytime soon. Until then we must use our brains and determine the truth on our own, which I've always recommended doing. Sadly most folks will not put forth the effort and will believe that plate of BS being handed to them based only on whether they like what they're hearing or not. All I can say is that if someone is being slandered or libeled in this crap I hope they open a crowdfunding page to let the good and intelligent people of the US contribute to their legal fund so that can get the best attorneys and push this all the way to the Supreme Court and ruin the liars and their affiliates completely in every way possible.

Phil

@Dashmellow I had to give your post a "like" but sadly the stuff you referred to makes me nauseous.

In our wonderful Freedom of Speech here in the US, telling lies is also permissible with very few very specific exceptions. You can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded cinema because of the danger to the public which would ensue when everyone ran to the exits, possibly causing harm or being harmed due to that. In this example nearly the same thing happens; but it falls below that legal standard. And the challenging of lies made against an individual can only come from that individual; nobody else can act on their behalf without power of attorney being assigned, so if Fauci is being maligned here, only Fauci can take action over that.

Those things need to be reviewed and changed in our laws but it won't happen anytime soon. Until then we must use our brains and determine the truth on our own, which I've always recommended doing. Sadly most folks will not put forth the effort and will believe that plate of BS being handed to them based only on whether they like what they're hearing or not. All I can say is that if someone is being slandered or libeled in this crap I hope they open a crowdfunding page to let the good and intelligent people of the US contribute to their legal fund so that can get the best attorneys and push this all the way to the Supreme Court and ruin the liars and their affiliates completely in every way possible.

Phil

I fully agree.

Of course, I posted about this to create public awareness regarding what Sinclair Broadcasting, the largest owner of local public television stations in the US is up to. This is hardly the first time they have engaged in this kind of activity either. And they have a history of forcing local affiliates to air certain "must-run" questionable far right-wing programing and commentary over the objections of journalists and management at these stations. Often commentary is not labeled as such and is instead presented as journalism. Sinclair is essentially part of a coordinated right-wing propaganda machine.

See: https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/07/11/sinclair-broadcast-group-propaganda/

See: Readers React: Why Sinclair’s scripted, pro-Trump propaganda should worry anyone who cares about democracy

See: Confessions Of A Former Sinclair News Director

Meanwhile, Donald Trump has been documented to have made 20,055 false or misleading claims since assuming office as president of the United States.

See the data base:
In 1,267 days, President Trump has made 20,055 false or misleading claims - Updated July 9, 2020

Last edited:
Delhi's seen a decline for the past couple of weeks, from approximately 3K+ cases a day to a 1000.
Herd immunity kicking in to reduce the cases, or is there another explanation for the decline?

There is now clearly a right way to handle Covid-19 and all the rest are wrong.
Which way is the right way? I assume you don't mean the USA way...

Which way is the right way? I assume you don't mean the USA way...
If you stop reading news reports and look at medical journals, they will all say pretty much the same thing. All possible precautations must be taken by all people without exception. That means social distancing, no group gatherings, using masks, frequent sanitation, and an ability to contact trace for everyone. Enough reinfections have occurred to make herd immunity questionable, so the only certain approach is full vaccinations which will act similarly in keeping future outbreaks controllable. Reopenings must be based on the situation at hand and should proceed as slowly as is possible and monitored for problems. If probelms occur the reopening must be immediately rolled back.

So summed up, what is being said is that only prevention and vaccination can keep the virus controllable, and no immunities should be expected until better proven.

Phil

While the medical and scientific professionals may have reached consensus about the basic facts of the SARS CoV-2 pandemic, we unfortunately have far right wing "conservative" media operatives spreading falsehoods and conspiracy theories for their own cyncial political purposes.
youtube university.jpg

facebook experts.jpg

bb30f362b825ddb4a84c7b5f32a35d0a74e6cdd8.jpg

Im thinking of the underground rat burger in demolition man now

Guess i am a rat licker then, CUZ last time i wore a mask was for renewing my firefighting / smoke diver certificate in 1999 or there about.
So now if i see a fire i am supposed to run :confused: we will see about that.

Quite a few municipalities here have had 0 cases in the past 2 weeks ( the grey ones )
Though where i live its not grey.

nye corona.jpg
corona too.jpg

Quite a few municipalities here have had 0 cases in the past 2 weeks ( the grey ones )
0 reported cases is a long way from 0 infections, if you want to reach real 0 without full lockdown then those masks will be necessary, but without a vaccine, it is probably not achievable without closing your borders and keeping them closed. Australia has shown that, just took a quarantine guard to get a little too close to the people he was quarantining after they had entered the country and they are back to record infection levels! To keep it under control you need herd immunity, the more you have the easier it is to control.

Indeed, number of tested daily here are also fairly modest ATM, seem to hover around 11 - 12.000 daily and we passed the 1 mill tested a few days ago, so still 4.7 mill to go.
When it was at its worst only 3 municipalities kept clean, these of course mainly little islands with few people living on them year around, but funny thing with a big influx of Danes not being able to fly, and free ferry rides for walk / cycle on customers, well it have not changed that.
Though one ferry was stopped yesterday for fear of a crew member having corona.

Many of those little islands quadruple their numbers of people there in the summer time.

Also all the kids that went to sunny beach in Bulgaria, well they all got tested coming home, and none of them was sick.

Also all the kids that went to sunny beach in Bulgaria, well they all got tested coming home, and none of them was sick.
Yes, but have you seen what happened to the Bulgarians?
They had less immunity than the Danes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back