Currently have A139. Car vandalised. Considering Thinkware U3000 or Blackvue DR970X LTE.

an1uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U3000
For some reason my car seems to be getting targeted and repeatedly vandalised.

I currently have the Viofo A139.

Considering Thinkware U3000 or Blackvue DR970X LTE.

Thanks.

Why not use the A139?

Unless they are stealing the camera then it will capture the culprits just as well, and probably better, low bitrate parking mode never misses anything, as long as it has power.

Why not use the A139?

Unless they are stealing the camera then it will capture the culprits just as well, and probably better, low bitrate parking mode never misses anything, as long as it has power.
It's failed to capture the previous two instances of vandalism, due to being powered down.

I have a new 096 AGM battery (largest that will fit in car's battery tray), the Viofo hardwire kit set to the lowest battery voltage, and it does not last as long as I'd hope.

I guess part of the issue is having 3 channels running at once.

Is there perhaps some way to add a battery pack to extend the parking mode running length?

Considering Thinkware U3000 or Blackvue DR970X LTE.
Using LTE is going to empty the battery even faster.

The U3000 does have a high efficiency radar parking mode which will provide coverage for a lot longer, but it may also miss the important video through being asleep and the LTE will be disabled when using the radar.

I guess part of the issue is having 3 channels running at once.
Yes, disconnect one and you get around 20% extra recording time.

Is there perhaps some way to add a battery pack to extend the parking mode running length?
It would probably shorten the recording time, since the camera will get its power from the battery pack, and will stop when the battery pack is empty, they don't switch over to the car battery.

How much time do you drive every day?
If you don't drive enough then the car battery, or battery pack will not charge to full, so you will get limited recording time. I would expect a 096 AGM battery to do quite well for a normal commute time, but it wont charge to full in 10 minutes.

A possibility is to use a standard USB powerbank and charge it fully indoors every day, then plug the A139 into that overnight, a 20,000 mAh USB powerbank should power the the A139 with 3 channels for, I think it is about 14 hours, and you can get bigger ones than that.

U3000s radar parking mode does not work as they market. Check this forum for the complaints others have posted.

I use to run low bitrate parking guard, on the A 139 too, then one day 2 hours after i had parked my car was rear ended, but the timer was set to 1 hour.

Fortunately a little old lady saw it all and took down the plate, CUZ the girl that did it, though initial putting paper on windscreen of my car, returned minutes later and removed that paper.

I now run parking guard for 3 hours on the timer.

BTW a few months before that rear ending my car was broken into, and the A 139 was there but was pretty new and not yet hardwired, and i had a CCTV camera on my car for years, but it had broken so no camera caught nothing.
Did not take me long to order a new IP camera and get it installed, and hardware the A 139

And my car well a few years after i got it i was rear ended on the road, and my rear camera did not record that CUZ it was in the day of single cameras, and mine was on a long cheap wire from the front so i had known for weeks it did not always record, and it did not when i was hit, fortunately that guy he was no problem and assumed full blame.

My bet are still on my IP camera at home, CUZ the yard i park in, pitch black at night this time of the year, so a dashcam will see nothing anyway.
The 1440p CCTV camera see as clear as day + i an zoomed in optical to be able to get a identifying shot, CUZ i am going to have to be judge & jury CUZ the law here is broken.

Using LTE is going to empty the battery even faster.

The U3000 does have a high efficiency radar parking mode which will provide coverage for a lot longer, but it may also miss the important video through being asleep and the LTE will be disabled when using the radar.

Yes, disconnect one and you get around 20% extra recording time.

It would probably shorten the recording time, since the camera will get its power from the battery pack, and will stop when the battery pack is empty, they don't switch over to the car battery.

How much time do you drive every day?
If you don't drive enough then the car battery, or battery pack will not charge to full, so you will get limited recording time. I would expect a 096 AGM battery to do quite well for a normal commute time, but it wont charge to full in 10 minutes.

A possibility is to use a standard USB powerbank and charge it fully indoors every day, then plug the A139 into that overnight, a 20,000 mAh USB powerbank should power the the A139 with 3 channels for, I think it is about 14 hours, and you can get bigger ones than that.
Hey Nigel, Can all viofo and dashcams be powered with normal power banks?

CUZ i am going to have to be judge & jury CUZ the law here is broken.
I found my car with two flat tyres. I have ring doorbell footage showing a neighbour going past my front door, two loud pop noises, then walking back. The car is unfortunately not in view of the doorbell camera. The Police said because it does not show them actually bending down and causing the damage, a court couldn't consider that to be evidence against them and they would not even bother speaking to them.

Have since had my windscreen smashed and damage to various panels and can only assume it was the same person. Unfortunately the A139 didn't capture anything in either instance as the battery has dropped below the cut off voltage.

I'm sure if I did something in retaliation I'd be charged with criminal damage. Crazy!

Parking directly outside home is difficult as other neighbours tend to park there, but I fully accept it's the public highway and first come first served, and I have no rights to the road directly outside my house.

U3000s radar parking mode does not work as they market. Check this forum for the complaints others have posted.
I decided to go for the u3000 for the radar feature's claimed ability to record for longer periods. Some people report issues with rear radar detection, while some don't. I am yet to fully test.

At least the u3000 does not interfere with DAB radio signal like the A139 did.

Last edited:
It highlights its consistent capture capability, ensuring the recording of any activity and potentially aiding in identifying culprits, suggesting its effectiveness in continuous monitoring, provided there's a power source for uninterrupted operation.

Back