Dangers of a dash cam...

Funny you've said this. After reading some topics on this forum and seeing some videos on Youtube I can't help thinking that the rise of dashcams gave powers to an army of self-righteous twats who have nothing else in their empty lives but to complain about irregularities of others.

Someone changed lane without indicating? An army of wannabe crucifiers is out in full force.
Seeing someone overspeeding by 5 mph? Ohmygawd, this is a potential child killer out there - punish him/her now!
Did they undertake you when you were steadily driving 40mph in middle lane? Hang, drawn and quarter them! Now!
And so on and on and on.

I think if they would be given enough powers, some fellow citizens will do their best to turn society into Brazil-styled one (this is not the name of a country but rather the movie title - watch it, it is very powerful).
We don't even need to turn the country into aristocracy-driven police state - the ordinary citizens will be the police, judge and the executioner, all in one, just because their self-righteousness will tell them that they are the most moral people on the planet. These moral beacons will then try to force their view of society rules upon the rest of us (just what Grauniad, Independent and Daily Mail are doing).

I mean, dash cams are useful tools when dealing with road issues but is it really necessary to post videos each time someone made a slightly illegal maneuver?

Rant over.

Hehehehe , oh this is as it should be !
No tolerance to law breakers ... ( Especially Dangerous drivers ) If you cant drive safely or to the rules of the road , perhaps you should try walking !
A car is a lethal weapon , too many treat it like a toy or lack the skill or intelligence to operate it correctly .
These people much like bad gun owners should be weeded out and have the responsibility removed ( perhaps permanently ) .
Law breakers are criminals , perhaps its time to treat car drivers that break the law as criminals , rather than just being naughty .
Just look at not only the death toll , but the number of people suffering serious injury as a result of breaking the rules .

Roads have been too much like the wild wild west for far too long , think of the dashcam as the new sheriff in town!

While you're right about habits changing, generalizing is a big mistake; anyway, the weirdest title is the one from BBC: Wearing helmets 'more dangerous' :Do_O
People tend to think they are immortals and, when the problems strike, they can't cope with reality. All these safety features are useful, but there isn't yet one to make people less morons (probably smart cars are the answer).

Following some youtube channels presenting accidents (mostly from Russia), I've asked the same. Some accidents could have been easily avoided; of course, it's easier to analyse from behind the screen.

As long as you follow road rules, you shouldn't be annoyed; if, for some reason, someone is annoyed, then he shouldn't be on the road at that time.

Not to be picking on you, but many things are objective. I have seen proven, using verified insurance company and government statistics, that it is safer to ride in States without mandatory helmet laws than in states where helmet use is mandated. My own time in the breeze was split about 50-50 regards this as I was quite knowledgeable in the matter. Above a certain speed body trauma in an impact will kill you, helmeted or not. The weight of a helmet can cause neck injuries in a crash. No motorcycle helmets claim to offer protection above 15 MPH so you can't count on them above that speed where you need them more. And the old sales pitch- "If you have a $10 brain get a $10 helmet, but if you value your brain get the best you can buy"- lots of truth there. My take is that for adults, the choice should be yours and along with that the responsibility to cover your self-caused problems should you have head injuries because of the lack of a helmet. I've had times where my helmet caused me harm and potential harm as well as times when not having it on likely saved my hide. I was lucky, but today I wouldn't ride without one, and a good one at that.

Perspective can be everything as anyone who has played field sports can tell you. The view from the field among all the players is so different than what you see on TV that it's like being in another world. Ditto the driving view from my big van versus a small car. And there's no review time while driving, only real-time with no going back until it's too late to have changed that situation. So I find the you-tube videos entertaining and somewhat educating in seeing just how stupid some people really are.

I disagree with becoming annoyed though. I am always annoyed with bad drivers, but I do not let that affect me by changing my actions, and it's actions that cause trouble. That takes discipline and knowing how to control yourself which not everyone has in sufficient quantities to be good drivers. Driving is about control, and that includes controlling your own emotions so that they don't influence your driving adversely. Case in point- a few days ago I was in a tight parking lot with my van coming to a stop where the line on the road indicated. The layout was such that I had to make a right turn; the path ahead was a one-lane one-way feeder into traffic entering the lot from the main road so there was no other option. At the same time a fool approached from the right and stopped where I could not swing my right without hitting him or the cars parked on the other side of the narrow lane I had to turn into. I motioned him to go, he motioned me to go. I nodded "No" clearly and motioned him to go again, also motioning that I was making a right, something my van size clearly indicated would be impossible with him there. The fool just sat there motionless so I put my van in park, crossed my arms in front of me, and waited. The fool begins to play on his cellphone so there we both sit for about 3 minutes, me stuck and him an idiot who should not be allowed out in public, much less behind the wheel of a car. Finally someone came up behind him, and only then did he move so that I could move. Annoyed? He-double-toothpicks yes I was annoyed. I wanted to drag him out of his car and ram his stupid head into my shiny chrome bumper, and that increased mightily when I watched in my mirrors afterward and saw that he was circling the lot to wait on somebody inside the store instead of parking to wait as people are supposed to do. But annoyed or not I did not honk my horn, say anything, flip him off, or do anything I should not do and that is what really matters here. He had the problem, he was the problem, and somewhere down the line he will meet one of the local rednecks who have their own big chrome bumper which will solve his attitude problem quite well and more permanently than the Cops can. I must add that it was nice having my Mobius going to prove that I did not wrong should any questions have arisen about my actions and also in case his actions had turned violent toward me.

Those who are truly not annoyed by bad drivers are quite likely to be that way because they are bad drivers themselves and don't understand just how things are supposed to work on the road. Safety and your driving safely come first and foremost, and anything which wants to take those away from you in any quantity does not matter regardless of how that makes you feel. If it does, then get off the road before handling those things and feelings, and don't start back on the road till you can drive safely again. If you do no wrong, your dashcam will prove that and protect you which is what it was intended to do. Use it in any other way while driving and it can cause problems which need not have happened and you are then responsible for those problems and their outcomes.

End of sermon, preaching donations will be warmly accepted as you leave the building :p

Phil

My way of getting even with the blockheads I come across everyday is to expose them online for everyone to see. It's also the best way I found to not letting :mad: rule my actions when those creatures cross my path. I "taught" myself to "keep your :cool:, you got it on camera", instead of letting the :mad: reactions (honking, gesturing, shouting, etc) take over when one of them does something that triggers those nasty emotions. But don't get me wrong, I do honk when they deserve it. :)
The few times I let my emotions take the better of me were in situations when I really felt the safety line was crossed and there's no way you can keep your cool when that happens.

Btw, Phil, where's the donation's box? :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
Hi,

Maybe a bit late, but as I joined DCT just a few days ago I have to say very interesting reading. I read all 6 pages ...

For me having a dashcam has been interesting and have to admit selfeducating, yes selfeducating, in regard to my driving in the traffic here in Mexico, nevertheless sometimes I still really get nuts when I see others driving and the lack of common sense how they behave in traffic.

Just as an example, in the morning getting into the Office I have a lot of People walking and crossing the streets with the slightest notion of their own safety. Just because it is a semi closed area with barriers, walking people think it is a Park and do not need to walk on the boardwalk or look if a car is coming in the street before crossing sides.

And I could go on and on and on ... Of course when you hit somebody the rule in Mexico is ... " The car is always the guilty one " ... regardless ¿ traffic rules ? :eek:

Yes, sounds like I am whining, but after having learned how to drive and driven in Germany in the 70's until the mid 90's this just makes me crazy ...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes, sounds like I am whining, but after having learned how to drive and driven in Germany in the 70's until the mid 90's this just makes me crazy ...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
If you watch recent dashcam videos from Germany you'll notice that it's starting to look a lot like Mexico. Or Vietnam. Or Australia. Or Italy. And the list goes on and on and on...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
If you watch recent dashcam videos from Germany you'll notice that it's starting to look a lot like Mexico. Or Vietnam. Or Australia. Or Italy. And the list goes on and on and on...

Hi,

I understand but I think we should not measure the driving education based on YouTube videos and the reality.

From my point of view that would be a mistake.

One thing is to present what allegedly every driver does wrong.

I think we should present also daily uncut drives and I guess the all over Panorama would look diferent :rolleyes: ¿ does it ?

Hi,

I understand but I think we should not measure the driving education based on YouTube videos and the reality.

I think we should present also daily uncut drives and I guess the all over Panorama would look diferent :rolleyes: ¿ does it ?
I'm not saying it's widespread, just that it may not as disciplined and law abiding as it was when you were there.

Hi,

I agree. We tend to see a lot of "gotcha" videos of poor driving on YouTube and here on DCT.

It's true that drivers in some nations are less disciplined than others and there are even more cars on the roads than even before but perhaps the amount of chaos is a matter of perception?

I like the idea seeing samples of typical daily driving habits from around the world as opposed to just the extremes of incompetent or irresponsible driving.

I like the idea seeing samples of typical daily driving habits from around the world as opposed to just the extremes of incompetent or irresponsible driving.
I started gathering good driving clips some time ago, in order to make some Good Driving videos, but I can't seem to get enough material to do even one, so once in a while I include one of those clips as a curiosity in the Bad Driving videos.
Many of the things I include in my compilations are exactly the typical Portuguese way of driving and maybe that's why some people find them "boring".

Many of the things I include in my compilations are exactly the typical Portuguese way of driving and maybe that's why some people find them "boring".

I think the reality is that any of the 'bad drivers of (insert any town)' to most people look just like their own commute, a lot of people seem to think bad drivers only exist in their part of the world, if you want to see that kind of thing you generally only need to look out your window while driving, it happens everywhere

Watching the compilations out of Russia i feel blessed and dont really have a reason to complain.

Then again things dont have to hit rock bottom before there is change, change for somthing better should start to happen as soon as its detected things are moving in the wrong direction.

But sadly there is more and more ppl, and more and more is left up to the individual and his/her sence of what is right and wrong.
And as we see all over the world, ppl can no longer handle that, even if as it is now doing somthing about it have never been easier ( grab the phone and call it in )

Watching the compilations out of Russia i feel blessed and dont really have a reason to complain.

I spent six days in Russia and the driving is truly crazy, I have my Chinese driving license and do drive when I'm there, it's chaotic, but for the most part slower and more predictable, Russia is chaotic and high speed, that's dangerous, I think the majority of 'bad drivers of (inset ****ty town)' just need to get out more and realise that the guy that doesn't indicate or come to a complete stop or whatever is an everyday event in 'bad drivers of (insert every town)' and that's why their videos aren't that interesting to the majority

interesting (or not) side story, when getting your drivers license in China the DMV (or whatever they call it) has constant videos going of road carnage, people getting run over, trucks smashing into cars etc that play in a constant loop to remind people what happens out on the road, it's all stuff recorded on the street cameras that are everywhere throughout the cities in China

Perhaps the best thing is that people only see the wrong in others !
They imply don't analyze their own driving or behavior ! And when they do wrong / or stupid , there is a rational (?) excuse for it ( in their minds anyway ) .
I am amazed by this behavior ... ( Everyone else is a bad driver , but when I do something stupid or illegal its because Im a good driver ) .... ???????????

One of the reasons I got into this dashcam thing was , self improvement and analysis .. ( besides getting dushenbags on cam , thats always fun )
It allows me to see a true replay of any mistake I have made , and hopefully stop me from making it again .
Whilst its always fun to harp on about others , I think its even more important to look at one self and see where improvements can be made ...
And the cam allows you to re live mistakes in minute detail .. ( And that should be a bit of a slap in the face = Wake up call )
If you start assigning blame to other people when you are in error ( yes certainly some people can make a mistake worse because they are simply dangerous ) , but why did the error occur in the first place ?
If you cant be rational , take ownership for the bo bo you made , and try to re program your brain to avoid doing it again ...

Then perhaps the cam will be the instrument of your doom ...
It matters not what I , or anyone else thinks when you post video ...
But what might a jury of your peers think ? When they watch your dashcam footage in court ! ( And if voice is activated , ???? you better not be raging )
So , driving angry and dangerous (?) , I don't think that's a right ....
Here in the Land of Oz , it is actually an obligation under the law to drive safely , and not to contribute to some one else's stupidity . ( Don't make the situation worse )
So it's rather important to remember that there are other people out on the road , and not everyone is as good or careful or considerate or safe a driver as you are .... In fact some might be complete morons , ninnies , dummies , SF brains , homicidal dushenbags ... And it might be an idea to give them a little space .. Yes you may be delayed getting where ever you need to get , yes it might be a fire alarm emergency you get there 5 minutes ago , but getting there is more important than not getting there quickly ...

Be safe , be happy and turn on your cam ...

Seeing other ppl faults is like hindsight, allways 20/20 :D

In the Danish traffic code " mutual consideration " is mentioned in just about every second sentence.

And i really feel a lot of ppl abuse that, to a degree where i would love to see it removed as its just ambiguous.

I can do one for you. :D

Recent trip home from the dentist - no idiots, no drama. It's a 25 minute trip so I sped it up 10x to save a lot of boredom - not counting mine in doing it. A couple 'incidents' look close but it's only because of the accelerated video.

Whoa ! Nothing ....... ;) nice .....

(...) a lot of people seem to think bad drivers only exist in their part of the world (...)
Yeah, there are loads of channels like that.

Perhaps the best thing is that people only see the wrong in others !
They imply don't analyze their own driving or behavior ! And when they do wrong / or stupid , there is a rational (?) excuse for it ( in their minds anyway ) .
I am amazed by this behavior ... ( Everyone else is a bad driver , but when I do something stupid or illegal its because Im a good driver ) .... ???????????
Yup, there are a few of those out there, too.

One of the reasons I got into this dashcam thing was , self improvement and analysis .. ( besides getting dushenbags on cam , thats always fun )
It allows me to see a true replay of any mistake I have made , and hopefully stop me from making it again .
Whilst its always fun to harp on about others , I think its even more important to look at one self and see where improvements can be made ...
And the cam allows you to re live mistakes in minute detail .. ( And that should be a bit of a slap in the face = Wake up call )
If you start assigning blame to other people when you are in error ( yes certainly some people can make a mistake worse because they are simply dangerous ) , but why did the error occur in the first place ?
If you cant be rational , take ownership for the bo bo you made , and try to re program your brain to avoid doing it again ...

Then perhaps the cam will be the instrument of your doom ...
It matters not what I , or anyone else thinks when you post video ...
But what might a jury of your peers think ? When they watch your dashcam footage in court ! ( And if voice is activated , ???? you better not be raging )
So , driving angry and dangerous (?) , I don't think that's a right ....
Here in the Land of Oz , it is actually an obligation under the law to drive safely , and not to contribute to some one else's stupidity . ( Don't make the situation worse )
So it's rather important to remember that there are other people out on the road , and not everyone is as good or careful or considerate or safe a driver as you are .... In fact some might be complete morons , ninnies , dummies , SF brains , homicidal dushenbags ... And it might be an idea to give them a little space .. Yes you may be delayed getting where ever you need to get , yes it might be a fire alarm emergency you get there 5 minutes ago , but getting there is more important than not getting there quickly ...

Be safe , be happy and turn on your cam ...
Totally agree. Knowing there's a dashcam recording my driving is what makes me try to do everything 100% right 100% of the time but when I only do it 99% or less, I assume my mistakes and often include them in my videos. I'm very hard on myself when I make mistakes of any kind, not only driving or riding mistakes, so having a dashcam was the best thing that happened to me in that respect.

Last edited:
Whoa ! Nothing ....... ;) nice .....
I bet in some parts of Australia it's impossible to drive for 25 mins without gathering enough material for a 5 min video (or more!). ;)

Back