dash cam can't see the cars on my left & right at 4-way stop sign intersection?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaranson
  • Start date Start date
Yep, looks like the slider/sider scam is already here, the news report was from US broadcaster NBC and the story is from NYC.

Squid, curious, which side of the car is the petrol filler on UK cars?

It varies. Mine is on the driver's side (right); my former car had it on the left; I've just hired a car in Europe and the filler cap was on the passenger side (right side on a left-hand drive car).

Re "Yep, looks like the slider/sider scam is already here, the news report was from US broadcaster NBC and the story is from NYC" I read about it last weekend in the UK press. I imagine that it'll hit UK cities in time. What bothers me is that I consider myself scam aware but can see me being caught out by that.

Jokiin, shouldn't you be selling dashcams to US gas stations? I mean, the quality of those CCTV recordings is awful.

I've just watched that slider video again and I trust you are as shocked as I am - $4.15/gallon :eek: (see the opening of the video) Even allowing for the US to Imperial gallon conversion, that is just £0.68/litre.

In the UK, unleaded is £1.30/litre.

First of all, - never fully trust YouTube due to compression rate. Not always you get what you see on youtube.
Second,- most important: Never trust videos made on the streets with a lot of ambient light ( shops, buildings, flashy advertisements etc. ), - this will not show you the real capabilities of dash camera.
For obviouse reasons ( not only Vico, but all other manufacturers as well ), they record day / night scenes in perfect conditions, which is not the way to judge real dash camera capabilities.
I don't want to say WF1 is bad, - not at all. From the past we know this brand is capable of producing descent dash cams, but true final conclusions can be made if video recorded in the everyday normal driving, and best if compare side by side with other dash cams.

Thanks for pointing that out. You're absolutely correct bud. I guess I was just fascinated by how good their video looked initially :) Later I realized, obviously it's a marketing strategy for the most part. At least for now, until someone does an unbiased comparison test.

Actually, it depends on a manufacturer (and model): on my Mercedes W168 A-class the filler cap is on the driver's side, i.e. on the right, but on my Lexus RX450h it is on the left... Last time I owned a British-made car was 20yrs ago :rolleyes: and I'm sure my 1989 XJS had a filler cap on the left, but the new F-type Jag sports one on the right-hand side ... at least these are no longer in the centre of a front grille, under the mascot ;)

It's true that it's different from manufacturer to manufacturer, but most of the time they design the cars so that the filler neck(and gas cap) is on the opposite side of where the exhaust pipe travels over the rear axle area.

...what about back in the day when filler caps were on the upper cowl in front of the windshield? Now that's old school :D

I've just watched that slider video again and I trust you are as shocked as I am - $4.15/gallon :eek: (see the opening of the video) Even allowing for the US to Imperial gallon conversion, that is just £0.68/litre.

In the UK, unleaded is £1.30/litre.

I put the best grade i can get in one of my cars (Super/HighTest/93/94 Octane) and Middle Grade (Around 89) in a project car i am working on witch is a bit more then $4.15 witch is the lowest grade cost if it helps you feel any better.

Even allowing for the US to Imperial gallon conversion, that is just £0.68/litre. In the UK, unleaded is £1.30/litre.

In Canada we're paying about £0.78/L for 87 octane unleaded. Anybody coming home from a visit to the US usually fills up before crossing the border to save a few $$.

I put the best grade i can get in one of my cars (Super/HighTest/93/94 Octane) and Middle Grade (Around 89) in a project car i am working on witch is a bit more then $4.15 witch is the lowest grade cost if it helps you feel any better.

I quoted the lowest price fuel off the video and compared it to our lowest price fuel. Yeah, makes me feel a little bit better.

I only ever use BP Ultimate (97-98) in both of my cars, and it's £1.49 at our local BP ... that's about $9.12 per US gallon :(

I love your avatar. It prompted me to change mine to a more cheerful & colourful one. Could be your strap line - "You don't want to get on the wrong side of my penguin".

Here in the UK, though, around 80% of the cost of fuel at the pump is tax of some sort. (import duty, fuel duty, VAT) The government are bleeding us dry.

Reactions: Jim
Well, at least it pays for our excellent, silky smooth, wide roads with not a single pothole in the entire country ... oh, wait :confused:
No, you're wrong - we pay road tax for that privilege ... oh, wait :confused:

Actually, I think the pikeys do all the road repairs, paid for when they have their annual 'lucky heather' sale :rolleyes:

Isn't it wonderful that our successive governments, with their oh so radically different policies, in the end always manage to get the same result: nothing improved, but even more money wasted?

This seems to be a universal problem in many countries. The good news is that if hordes of Zombies decent on government officials in search of brains, the government officials have nothing to fear. :D

Isn't it wonderful that our successive governments, with their oh so radically different policies, in the end always manage to get the same result: nothing improved, but even more money wasted?

ohh that sounds almost as bad as our government. Plus the fact that China practically owns us w/ all the debt these fine leaders of ours successfully accumulated while getting nothing done. :rolleyes: And I doubt this country will ever bounce back to when things were at least decently good. lol

The reality is probably that no country owes anything to any other country.
We all owe each other so much in terms of goods or money or military help or some such sh*t that it all balances out.
A owes B, C owes D, D owes B and so on...

If everyone who did all the real work were to down tools, the politicians wouldn't even know how to wipe their own ars noses.

So how exactly did this go from FoV to gas prices?

So how exactly did this go from FoV to gas prices?

It's a good example that you never know what is going to be captured in the video! So your everyday video at an intersection may not mean anything at the time but say (hypothetically) you hear later in the news that evening there was a hit and run in the vicinity of that intersection. Your video might have a recording of a car leaving the scene that might help an investigation. So how we got to gas prices from FoV discussion is an example of how we think we might be recording one thing, but something else interesting pops up in the recording like gas prices or a suspect vehicle. I think the growth of dash cams in north america are going to add to CCTV and other recordings that can help solve crimes. Here's an example of video of a suspected vehicle in a hit and run fatality, now if someone with a dashcam was driving by at the same time past the pickup, there might be more information to identify the driver of interest.

There's a discussion over here about what size memory cards people are using. Most are indicating 32GB. Using the largest cards possible in cameras will maximize the amount of recording. You never know where a FoV test might lead you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back