Dash cam for long term parked car.

ismolika

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I need to know if there is a way to park my car like 7 to 10 days and keep motion detection on without unit shutting off due to low battery.
I am a truck driver and I do park my car in truck yard and be on the road for 7 to 10 days usually. So I want to have a video footage if anyone hits my car while I am on the road with semi.

Thank you in advance.

Depending on the camera, I would guess you'd need at least a 250AH deep discharge battery bank and possibly a solar recharger to be able to power it reliably for that long.

KuoH

Depending on the camera, I would guess you'd need at least a 250AH deep discharge battery bank and possibly a solar recharger to be able to power it reliably for that long.

KuoH
O wow, thank you :) Guess ill give up on that idea, lol.

If the car is at home, i would put a CCTV camera on it, i have that on my parked car, and get AI smart motion detect notifications on my phone if anything human or vehicle shaped move with in 3 feet or so of the parked car.
But i am just here my my 2 floor apartment 50 yards from the car.

Parking guard in dashcams while nice and all ( i use that too but just on a 1 hour timer as i dont want to load the measly 50 Ah battery in my little car, but there it do fine and cover all my shopping, and i could up the timer if i wanted to / felt like i needed to.

Outside parameters like "stuff" on car glass will also render dashcam useless, and it also need to be parked in a place with some light to see something.

As it is a Pan Tilt Zoom, camera i can remotely operate it too, smarter / newer / better stuff could even auto track and zoom onto something entering a specified "box" in the footage.
Mine is cheap Dahua IP cameras.

Last edited:
If you park at a company parking lot while you are out and about, those guys should provide you guys on the floor / behind the wheel access to a PTZ camera covering your cars.
I would do stuff like that for "my" people,,,,, but i am also a extraordinary nice guy

O and where are my manners :rolleyes:,,,,,, welcome to the forum ismolika

I am working from memory on this, but 1 battery pack runs my dashcam an average of 24 hours in parking mode; 2 packs do approx 48hrs (my current setup). Since I drive enough to charge them daily, that covers me for the night parking -- as well as the weekend, even if I didn't drive my car the whole weekend. Extrapolating, I guest you would need 7-10 battery packs. However, mine is a worst-case scenario.

If the car is at home, i would put a CCTV camera on it, i have that on my parked car, and get AI smart motion detect notifications on my phone if anything human or vehicle shaped move with in 3 feet or so of the parked car.
But i am just here my my 2 floor apartment 50 yards from the car.
Kamkar, thanks for sharing that video. Just wandering, is your CCTV mounted outside your house, or inside looking thru a window? In either case, mind sharing your cctv make and model? thanks.

The PTZ camera i have are mounted to my 2 floor balcony door.
The NVR i have is just one of the cheap Dahua ones and just 4 channel, it do handle 1440p which my new PTZ camera is, the old one broke a few years ago so i have not had a camera on the car for long.
Getting my car broken into on January 6 changed that, and i rushed out to buy a new camera.

I made this time lapse with footage from the new dahua PTZ camera. ( also in the cheap dahua range use IMX 335 )

You can just make out the camera on my balcony door in this dashcam footage, it is the balcony's just off a little to the left from the middle of the frame, and then up on 2 floor.

The PTZ camera i have are mounted to my 2 floor balcony door.
The NVR i have is just one of the cheap Dahua ones and just 4 channel, it do handle 1440p which my new PTZ camera is, the old one broke a few years ago so i have not had a camera on the car for long.
Getting my car broken into on January 6 changed that, and i rushed out to buy a new camera.

I made this time lapse with footage from the new dahua PTZ camera. ( also in the cheap dahua range use IMX 335 )

You can just make out the camera on my balcony door in this dashcam footage, it is the balcony's just off a little to the left from the middle of the frame, and then up on 2 floor.

That was quite cool kamkar -- thanks!!

I am not super happy with the night time performance of this new PTZ camera, my friend have a Hikvision that do a lot better.
I also have remote access to his Hikvision system, but i just can not get notifications to work on that setup, fortunately my friend dont care much for that part, he is happy he can access from his phone when he are not home.

I am getting him a wifi extender for outside use, and a wifi IP camera to put up down on the field near our shooting range and the model railway we are building in his field.
I think that will be enough X mas present for him

I am not super happy with the night time performance of this new PTZ camera, my friend have a Hikvision that do a lot better.
I also have remote access to his Hikvision system, but i just can not get notifications to work on that setup, fortunately my friend dont care much for that part, he is happy he can access from his phone when he are not home.

I am getting him a wifi extender for outside use, and a wifi IP camera to put up down on the field near our shooting range and the model railway we are building in his field.
I think that will be enough X mas present for him
What would be great is if there was someone out there offering a cctv cam designed specifically for mounting inside your house window (and which does work!), like dashcams, which do a decent job from inside your car recording the outside. Great for people who don't own their houses (apt dwellers) or who do but who don't own their exterior's (condo and townhouse dwellers). Either way, thanks for the additional info. What's available has all sort of problems, most of them related to reflection. I am thinking why not use a regular dashcam and connect it to a 120V wall household outlet via a 12V to 120V converter, right?

I am testing dashcams in my living room window, and it work fairly well if you account for the window is installed 4 years ago and have never been washed on the outside + when it rain

I use to have a small box camera there too filming the street below, captures when the old lady that use to live here forgot stuff on the oven.

I did also put up a small regular camera earlier in the year ( IMX 185 sensor ), but that just resulted in i got the cops knocking on my door as someone complained, and filming a public street are also illegal here ( with a CCTV camera )
The camera on the car are not illegal, it film the back yard to the building, and while not blocked from public access it is seen as a place where the general public do not come.
So i talked to cop on police station, went home removed camera, and still for a few weeks i had police knocking on my door ( did not open for them ) but that eventually stopped.

There are small box and bullet cameras too, but i think generally those are not waterproof or have a zoom option ( manual is fine if you park in same place )
I went with a PTZ camera for my car as i am not always able to park in the same place, so i can park elsewhere and then just reposition the camera.

There are also PTZ cameras a lot smaller than my " full sized" one, the smallest ones i think are 3 - 4" where the big ones are like 7" in diameter

The problem with inside glass / window cameras is in the daytime you will have lots of reflections from blinds / curtains ASO ( if you dont have any of that in flat black )
That will also be the case in the evening if they ( blinds ) are partially open

I am contemplating getting one of the small dahua box pinhole cameras, and then put it very close to the window glass,,,,, and then figure out a way to clean the windows on the outside, the new windows are the cheap kind that you can not turn 180 deg to wash on the outside, so you will have to hire someone to do the cleaning, but i think there are options for a cheap ass like me.

Painting the camera to match the window frame ASO, it would be unlikely anyone would see it

I am testing dashcams in my living room window, and it work fairly well if you account for the window is installed 4 years ago and have never been washed on the outside + when it rain

I use to have a small box camera there too filming the street below, captures when the old lady that use to live here forgot stuff on the oven.

Wow! sorry about that lady!
This stuff is all new to me - I am doing some catch-up. Thanks!

I did also put up a small regular camera earlier in the year ( IMX 185 sensor ), but that just resulted in i got the cops knocking on my door as someone complained, and filming a public street are also illegal here ( with a CCTV camera )
The camera on the car are not illegal, it film the back yard to the building, and while not blocked from public access it is seen as a place where the general public do not come.
So i talked to cop on police station, went home removed camera, and still for a few weeks i had police knocking on my door ( did not open for them ) but that eventually stopped.

There are small box and bullet cameras too, but i think generally those are not waterproof or have a zoom option ( manual is fine if you park in same place )
I went with a PTZ camera for my car as i am not always able to park in the same place, so i can park elsewhere and then just reposition the camera.

There are also PTZ cameras a lot smaller than my " full sized" one, the smallest ones i think are 3 - 4" where the big ones are like 7" in diameter
Not sure why cops would knock for your "regular" camera but not for the PTZ. Aren't they both OK as long as they point to the non-public areas? I don't think either public or private areas are a problem in my jurisdiction (so long as the private area isn't the obvious ones of course -- bathroom, dressing room, etc.) What I do know is they must be ok pointing to the street (public areas) because they are everywhere (houses, businesses, etc.) I park on the street; I need something pointing towards my car from inside my house.

Hi all,
I need to know if there is a way to park my car like 7 to 10 days and keep motion detection on without unit shutting off due to low battery.
I am a truck driver and I do park my car in truck yard and be on the road for 7 to 10 days usually. So I want to have a video footage if anyone hits my car while I am on the road with semi.

Thank you in advance.

You'd need to buy battery packs and lots of them. There's no car battery in the world that's going give you that amount of record time. So yes, it can be done, but it's going to cost you probably $1500-2000 USD. I'd say you'd need at least 6 or 7 battery packs daisy chained together. With each battery pack maybe getting 24 hrs. So ya, you can, but is it really worth spending that amount of money?

Here's an example: Battery #1 would hardwire to the car via a hardwiring kit via the input I believe. Then you'd use the supplied hardwiring kit (Viofo, etc) to hardwire the camera to the battery (output). Then batteries setup as follows. Each battery costing around $300 USD each.

egen-dash-cam-accessories-cellink-neo-battery-blackboxmycar-28383597822007_700x700.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah it is the aim of the CCTV camera, they was also aware of the PTZ as they did shine their torch at it very early in the morning,,,,,, when i have usually been in my bed for 5 - 8 hours already tossing and turning trying to fall asleep.
Thats why i dident open the door for them, cuz at that time of the day and in that situation my mood are pretty low and i cant really bother about anything but sleeping / trying to sleep, it is often around noon before i fall asleep, and then proceed to sleep 3-4 hours.

Stores ASO are okay filming the street, though you are actually supposed to register your cameras that do that as a store owner.
Denmark are actually one of the most digitized countries in the world, this also go for the number of CCTV cameras.
There also is a anti "big brother" movement with people taking down license plate cameras ASO, and i also think it is pretty ovious that the government will misuse that.

Just as us giving out American friends cart blanche access to the Danish internet in regard to terrorist hunting, and they in turn at once used that access to spy on our and many other European politicians.
And i think the bunker in Maryland still have unrestricted access,,,,,,,, which i would of course terminate if i was in charge,,,,,, CUZ you just dont pull tricks like that on friends.
Actually i even think would kick out the American Embassy for a stunt like that,,,,, until they change their attitude,,,,,,, even if we are supposed to be friends.

Just as us giving out American friends cart blanche access to the Danish internet in regard to terrorist hunting, and they in turn at once used that access to spy on our and many other European politicians.
And i think the bunker in Maryland still have unrestricted access,,,,,,,, which i would of course terminate if i was in charge,,,,,, CUZ you just dont pull tricks like that on friends.
Actually i even think would kick out the American Embassy for a stunt like that,,,,, until they change their attitude,,,,,,, even if we are supposed to be friends.
LOL!! Well said! There's indeed a point where you cross "the line". Thanks again for all the cctv etc info. A cam from my 2nd flr window pointed at my car on the street (I have a designated spot as it's within an enclosed community) is in my bucket list, but will probably take as long as my car dashcam to get (4 yrs) because I am known for being picky, demanding and hard to please! My best regards, --UV

Back