I want to know how long will my battery keep my dashcam on?

mboxz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have viofo t130 and for powerbank I got ecoflow river 2. So how long will my powerbank keep my dashcam running?
Second question i have is how can I use my power bank and go to parking mode in viofo t130?
If I do go in parking mode how long will it last?
(I use different vehicles for job so that's why I can't connect to car battery and no fancy stuff like running through door and hiding wire just simple plug and go but sometime I used same car for weeks so I just need to know how long will it last and can I go to parking mode on it)

I have viofo t130 and for powerbank I got ecoflow river 2. So how long will my powerbank keep my dashcam running?
Second question i have is how can I use my power bank and go to parking mode in viofo t130?
If I do go in parking mode how long will it last?
(I use different vehicles for job so that's why I can't connect to car battery and no fancy stuff like running through door and hiding wire just simple plug and go but sometime I used same car for weeks so I just need to know how long will it last and can I go to parking mode on it)
In order to utilize parking mode Viofo’s official recommendation is to use the 3-wire hardwire kit. This is because the 3rd ACC (switched hot) wire will reliably signal to the camera the car ignition has been turned of and to enter parking mode. Without the hardwire kit you may be able to get the camera to go into parking mode by having 5 minutes of no motion in view of the camera, or detected my the GPS sensor. I’m not sure how it works. Calling @rcg530 for clarification.

The easiest way to accomplish “proper” parking mode with a 3-wire hardwire kit is to use a dash cam battery pack like the PowerCell 8, or B-130X. These battery packs have the provision for the 3 wire kit. And they are also plug & play so you can easily move from car to car.

The T-130’s power consumption in Low Bitrate parking mode is approximately 6 Watts. The PC8 & B-130X have a 96Wh capacity. So based on that it should run for 16 hours.
It looks like your EcoFlow River 2 has a 256Wh capacity, so around 42 hours. However this may be reduced because the camera may not be able to go into parking mode, and will just operate in normal recording mode.

I see the current price for the EcoFlow River 2 is $250.
The PC8 is $350.
The B-130X is $360.
-Chuck

During my testing of the T130 for my review video, the T130 would enter parking mode when powered by the cigarette lighter power adapter after the vehicle/camera was stationary for 5 minutes. It will exit parking mode after the vehicle begins moving 5 mph/8 kph.

I just retested the T130 with it powered by the cigarette lighter power adapter provided with it to see if motion within the field of view delays when the T130 enters parking mode. I thought it wouldn't matter, but it does. I powered up the T130 and I moved around my filming studio for about two minutes (within the field of view of the T130) and the T130 didn't enter parking mode until 5 minutes after the motion stopped. On the next test, I powered up the T130 and let it sit on the desk with no movement taking place within its field of view and it entered parking mode a few seconds after 5 minutes of sitting motionless on the desk.

When I have the T130 installed in my car, I power it with the VIOFO HK4 hardwire kit. That is the way VIOFO recommends powering the T130 when parking mode is enabled.

Is there an appreciable difference in power consumption between just on or saving to the SD card. As I understand it.. if the camera is "on" is is continuously recording and software settings determines what to save/write to the SD card. For the camera to be able to record back a few seconds from an event it must be continuously writing the image it captures but.. is not saved until/unless there is an event. (ie parking mode)

Is there an appreciable difference in power consumption between just on or saving to the SD card. As I understand it.. if the camera is "on" is is continuously recording and software settings determines what to save/write to the SD card. For the camera to be able to record back a few seconds from an event it must be continuously writing the image it captures but.. is not saved until/unless there is an event. (ie parking mode)
I pulled that 6 watt figure from Robert's power consumption data sheet on his review video.
Have a look at the attached screenshot to find your answer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-27 8.26.30 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 8.26.30 AM.png
    935.1 KB · Views: 11
Interesting and thanks. It seems that with this camera there is a difference of power used between just monitoring and saving the results. From a practical perspective is 62~63 milliamps a lot?
(If I am interpreting the results correctly).

Yes.
It's a difference of 2.5 additional hours of parking mode recording when using a 96Wh dash cam battery pack.
16 hours vs 18 hours 30 minutes.

Back