Dash Cam owners 'preying' on poor drivers

Captain-random

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so here goes.

I got talking to a chap at a car show who has a dash cam, as do I, and he's had a 3 accidents which have gone as non fault. However he says the 3 accidents where totally avoidable on his part but he doesn't care because the dash cam proves his innocence...

Examples

1. Everybody will know of a T junction where right turners coming off the main road cut the corner causing people approaching the give way lines to either have an accident or a near miss. This chap says when approaching a junction to turn right he always sticks to the white line and if they hit him then so be it.

2. a driver moves into his lane on a roundabout or duel carriageway.. He doesn't take avoiding action. If they go into him, they go into him and the video will prove his innocence.

3. A sharp bend where cars on the outside of the curve always cut the corner and again this chap says he always sticks to the white line and again the dash cam will prove his innocence.

To make himself not sound like a complete idiot he did say these crashes happen on roads with low speed limits. Apparently he doesn't have a death wish

I'm not sure whether these would be classed as Crash for Cash because technically he's not causing the accidents, he's just not avoiding them.

You could say he's preying on poor drivers

What are peoples thought on this? Could this be another type of crash for cash scamster?

I would call him an idiot, whilst its important to have a camera for evidence, thats why we all have em. That doesnt mean you allow non fault accidents to happen !

I've got to admit I don't get why he'd do this as even if he's not at fault technically every incident I thought pushed your insurance premium up anyway?

I do spend more time avoiding accidents these days - I wouldn't be happy with the car once it had been in an accident - unless this guy likes trying to get his car written off so he can claim the cash?

I agree he's an idiot and it did seem strange what he was saying but I'm guessing personal injury, loss of earnings etc is what he's after.

Who knows... as dash cams get more popular this could be a new type of crash for cash scam for which proving guilt would almost be impossible especially if the third party is driving poorly to begin with

I dont like that person.

One day the camera will bite him back

If these accidents could be avoided and at low speed
All it takes is one insurance
Company or lawyer
To say
Hold on !

Sounds like the type of person who would rather block the intersection
Then let anyone get out

Karma will or catch up
When he mess with mr peter bilt
Or mr ken worth

One day the camera will bite him back

If these accidents could be avoided and at low speed
All it takes is one insurance
Company or lawyer
To say
Hold on !

Sounds like the type of person who would rather block the intersection
Then let anyone get out

Karma will or catch up
When he mess with mr peter bilt
Or mr ken worth

The Golden Rule : " What goes around - comes around ! " ;)

I wonder if he's trying to profit or just teach people a lesson. Either way, In my part of the world (South Australia) we have a responsibility to take reasonable measures to prevent collisions. Common sense and good judgement are actually explicitly stated to override the road rules if things get out of shape. Mr. "I'm going to make you crash into me because I can" might be served a slice of humble pie if he tried that here. Depending on the circumstances and outcome, it's conceivable he could face some serious charges.

I must admit, my attitude to driving used to align with his to an extent; I liked the idea of standing my ground in the face of bad driving from others. I don't know if I would have ever put it into practice though. It's frighteningly immature when you think about it.

Well this individual is either 'all mouth and no trousers' and likes the sound of his own voice or as many have said an idiot either way he and many with his attitude are a liability or an accident waiting to happen on the road.

I learned to drive defensively many years ago and when I see pratts like that in my vicinity I back off even though I would really want to challenge them but having been the innocent witness and victim of road rage getting a stiletto heal in my shoulder as a reward discretion is now the better part of valor in my book.

I've got to admit I don't get why he'd do this as even if he's not at fault technically every incident I thought pushed your insurance premium up anyway?

You are correct, I found out the hard way. Your premiums do increase, even though you are clearly not at fault.
My premiums went up & when I asked, the insurance spun me some bullplop about everybody's premiums going up because insurers were covering for all the uninsured losses (but in a 6 car family, only my premiums went up!)
You HAVE to declare these non-faults for a number of years (how many depends on the insurer, some ask for three years & others ask for five).
The thing is, you cannot not declare since this info is centralised anyway. The insurer might not turn round & say "hang on, what about...", they might just be happy to take your cash then refuse to pay out if you have another prang as they have 'just' discovered you didn't declare...

You are correct, I found out the hard way. Your premiums do increase, even though you are clearly not at fault.
My premiums went up & when I asked, the insurance spun me some bullplop about everybody's premiums going up because insurers were covering for all the uninsured losses (but in a 6 car family, only my premiums went up!)
You HAVE to declare these non-faults for a number of years (how many depends on the insurer, some ask for three years & others ask for five).
The thing is, you cannot not declare since this info is centralised anyway. The insurer might not turn round & say "hang on, what about...", they might just be happy to take your cash then refuse to pay out if you have another prang as they have 'just' discovered you didn't declare...

I've been with the same insurer for over 30 years. On the odd occasion I've had an accident. Their forms always ask for details of previous accidents. I tell them to check their records. This always works, for me. 6 or so years ago I wrote my car off. From the time of the accident, until I had their cheque in my pocket was around 27/28 hours :):):).

30 years with one insurer- in the same time I have had 30 different insurers (going back to some previous ones admitted) it is the only way to keep control of your premiums. For example just this week I have had my renewal advice which has increased the premium from £215 to £295 for no reason other than has already been stated, so trawling and searching the 'net has reduced that figure to £195 and for the same cover a no brainer in my book and by the way household insurance is the same.

The issue here in the UK is changing suppliers means you get 'new business' discounts which are there to encourage drivers to change those that do change save money those that are not bothered to spend a bit of time searching the 'net or simply phoning round pay through the nose - their choice.

I loathe having to pay for those oiks and boof heads who cause the rest of us to fund their non payment of insurance and general lunacy and prey for the day when they have fines that include the cost of the full premium + hefty fine + destruction of their motor then the bu**ers need to be hung, drawn and quartered.

Hey ho feel much better after that....:D:D:D

30 years with one insurer- in the same time I have had 30 different insurers (going back to some previous ones admitted) it is the only way to keep control of your premiums. For example just this week I have had my renewal advice which has increased the premium from £215 to £295 for no reason other than has already been stated, so trawling and searching the 'net has reduced that figure to £195 and for the same cover a no brainer in my book and by the way household insurance is the same.

The issue here in the UK is changing suppliers means you get 'new business' discounts which are there to encourage drivers to change those that do change save money those that are not bothered to spend a bit of time searching the 'net or simply phoning round pay through the nose - their choice.

I loathe having to pay for those oiks and boof heads who cause the rest of us to fund their non payment of insurance and general lunacy and prey for the day when they have fines that include the cost of the full premium + hefty fine + destruction of their motor then the bu**ers need to be hung, drawn and quartered.

100% same story in Ireland :(

I can only recall one insurer here, offering new business discounts.

do you get the same coverage when changing?

do you get the same coverage when changing?

You have to be careful as some 'down grade' the cover in order to offer a 'competitive quote' and of course you need to watch out for the increase in the 'voluntary' sum you agree to pay in the case of an accident repair to your vehicle add that to the compulsory amount and you might just be way out of pocket, however it is possible given some searching to get the same cover at a better premium (I have just done that) it is also possible to negotiate a 'bit more off' as the market is very competitive.

One anomaly I get cross about is if you visit one of the many 'comparison web sites' and search for a quote from your existing insurance supplier you will almost certainly get a lower quote than the renewal premium quotation you have been sent - crazy or what!

Typical for insurers to offer a better deal to a new customer than an existing one, it's why people shop around for better deals, there's no loyalty to companies much anymore like there was years ago

Back