Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I would like help with one question.

I am looking for a "taxi dash cam" with good sound quality. It is to be used in my personal vehicle.

By a "taxi dash cam" I mean one that will record video and sound of the interior of the vehicle. I would like to record events should I be stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be more welcomed!

(BTW, such video recordings, including accompanying sound, are legal in my jurisdiction, so I would not interested in discussion of legality since I have already done my research on that. :) I have also the exterior of the vehicle covered in terms of dash cams, so I am really looking for 1-channel, interior-of-the-vehicle-only models.)

Thank you!

you need something that can be moved quite easily to face the side window in the event of a traffic stop, for what you want maybe look at a Mobius

you need something that can be moved quite easily to face the side window in the event of a traffic stop, for what you want maybe look at a Mobius

Thanks for your thoughts...I would think if the cam is wide angle (e.g., 120° or greater) I wouldn't need to move anything - "set it and forget it". (This assumes, of course, that the officer is standing by the driver's window, so...) ...on second thought, perhaps I really need a 2-channel cam to cover at least 180° and, thus, both windows. Any ideas? (or better yet, given this enlightenment, should I repost at the 2-channel forum instead???) BTW, I would prefer something less conspicuous than a Mobius, perhaps one where the video recording unit is remote from the lens(es) - if anyone makes such thing...

there are remote lens cameras, even the Mobius can have a DIY remote lens option if you want to make something discrete

Some of us use side facing cameras such as the Mobius mounted in the rear windows. Have a look at THIS thread for an overview of that option. Aside from capturing a police officer standing outside your driver's side door (including sound) such cameras are good for capturing a different traffic perspective and coverage. For some of us (like on my vehicle) the rear side windows are darkly tinted so discreetly mounted cameras can be very stealthy.

Simply mounting the same cameras facing inwards, one on each side would cover the interior quite well, if that is your sole priority.

Last edited:
By a "taxi dash cam" I mean one that will record video and sound of the interior of the vehicle. I would like to record events should I be stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation.

And of course you would inform your passengers that they are being recorded and where the camera is...;)

What kind of vehicle?

For a normal sedan type, I'd think a Mobius c in the back window, facing forward/inward would do it, also.

The lens extension cable for the mobius isn't very long. However, the lens stuck to the end is quite small so would be easy to hide. Maybe mount the mobius on the passenger side, behind some trim, incorporating the lens into something.
Maybe your centre light could be used? Swap out the centre light for an LED fitting, drill a series of 'vent' holes, one of which could hide the lens?
$_57.JPG
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201532334842First thing that sprung to mind was a this 12v light fitting. the plinth would have holes evenly spaced & one of these could coincidentally point to your door/window. Switch at front, holes at 8o'clock & 4 o'clock? And I'm sure there's plenty of room inside/behind this to house the camera body (possibly without even using the lens extension!
Another alternative would be doing something similar to the courtesy light over the mirror - Could you adapt what you have? Maybe look around a scrap yard to find something that would do the job without too much trouble

Some of us use side facing cameras such as the Mobius mounted in the rear windows. Have a look at THIS thread for an overview of that option. Aside from capturing a police officer standing outside your driver's side door (including sound) such cameras are good for capturing a different traffic perspective and coverage. For some of us (like on my vehicle) the rear side windows are darkly tinted so discreetly mounted cameras can be very stealthy.

Simply mounting the same cameras facing inwards, one on each side would cover the interior quite well, if that is your sole priority.

Thanks for your response. What I envision recording is an event such as the one at this link where I could have video recording of the officer (who would be standing outside the vehicle) as well as myself (both faces, all hands, and as much of each others bodies). I envision an inconspicuous wide angle camera and remote video recording unit combo that would make such recordings. BTW, I have an SUV, so the officer's face while standing on the road and my own face while sitting in the vehicle would be at about the same height.

What kind of vehicle?

For a normal sedan type, I'd think a Mobius c in the back window, facing forward/inward would do it, also.

Vehicle is an SUV, but I want to be able to record both faces as much as possible. THIS depicts somewhat what I want to accomplish.

Thanks for your response. What I envision recording is an event such as the one at this link where I could have video recording of the officer (who would be standing outside the vehicle) as well as myself (both faces, all hands, and as much of each others bodies). I envision an inconspicuous wide angle camera and remote video recording unit combo that would make such recordings. BTW, I have an SUV, so the officer's face while standing on the road and my own face while sitting in the vehicle would be at about the same height.

From what I see on those video clips I think a small discreet camera like the Mobius C2 wide angle permanently mounted somewhere on your dashboard facing the driver's side window in such a way as to capture the driver and the person standing outside your vehicle would be an ideal solution. It would be similar to what we see in your examples but may offer a slightly improved perspective. I think if you buy a Mobius C2 and experiment with placement you would be pleased with the result. Once you find the placement that works best I believe you could make it fairly stealthy if you wish, with a little creativity.

The lens extension cable for the mobius isn't very long. However, the lens stuck to the end is quite small so would be easy to hide. Maybe mount the mobius on the passenger side, behind some trim, incorporating the lens into something.
Maybe your centre light could be used? Swap out the centre light for an LED fitting, drill a series of 'vent' holes, one of which could hide the lens?
$_57.JPG
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201532334842First thing that sprung to mind was a this 12v light fitting. the plinth would have holes evenly spaced & one of these could coincidentally point to your door/window. Switch at front, holes at 8o'clock & 4 o'clock? And I'm sure there's plenty of room inside/behind this to house the camera body (possibly without even using the lens extension!
Another alternative would be doing something similar to the courtesy light over the mirror - Could you adapt what you have? Maybe look around a scrap yard to find something that would do the job without too much trouble

Very neat idea - thank you. If anything, I would think the gadget might be useful as additional illumination if the officer's traffic stop were to occur at nighttime...

Reviewing the replies to your query in this thread, essentially every one of us has suggested the Mobius camera in some placement or configuration. That should be telling you something, I think. :)

:) ...Dashmellow, you and I were thinking the same thoughts at about the same time!!! Thanks! :)

Back