Dashcam 55 optical sensor is dead?

dma_k

Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
Dear all,

I wonder if my dashcam optical sensor is dead? Here is a captured picture and video:
GRMN0005.JPG

LED screen is also damaged: there is a 1px vertical white line. However menu / navigation are working OK.

I believe it cannot be cured...

It started dying during the summer: it was +31°C outside, so probably above maximum rated +55°C inside the car. But shouldn't a top-rated dashcam have a temperature sensor inside chip so that it automatically shuts down if the temperature is beyond the limit?

Thanks for your ideas and opinion.

I wonder if my dashcam optical sensor is dead?
Check the battery, maybe it has puffed up and dislodged the sensor cable, if your dashcam has a sensor cable, or maybe the battery is causing power issues.
Doesn't really look like an image sensor problem.

Check the battery, maybe it has puffed up and dislodged the sensor cable, if your dashcam has a sensor cable, or maybe the battery is causing power issues.
I believe I had to disassemble the device to check the battery? As far as I know, the is no battery but a super-capacitor inside, probably to workaround exactly that issue with high temperature.
And what is "sensor cable"? Could you give a hint how it should look like?
Did you resolve it so far?
No, I have bought a new dashcam.

I completely disassembled the dashcam, checked all connections and noticed a difference when I connected the display to the circuit board again. The battery wasn't fully charged, but I had a normal view for 2 minutes and then the screen turned purple again and the camera shut off shortly after. I believe this is repairable.

I completely disassembled the dashcam, checked all connections and noticed a difference when I connected the display to the circuit board again.
Do you have pictures of disassembled device showing what was wrong in your opinion?
Also I wonder if you screen is working correctly when you navigate the menu. In my case menu navigation works just fine, which means that there are no issues with LCD display or cable that connects it to the board. But when captured stream is shown, there are problems (also not always).

Do you have pictures of disassembled device showing what was wrong in your opinion?
Also I wonder if you screen is working correctly when you navigate the menu. In my case menu navigation works just fine, which means that there are no issues with LCD display or cable that connects it to the board. But when captured stream is shown, there are problems (also not always).
Nothing was showing wrong, I just noticed the black/purple screen was gone for 5 minutes after I reconnected the ribbon cable. Yes, the screen is working correctly when I navigate the menu. Not sure what is wrong.

Sounds like a failed camera block and unlikely repairable at reasonable cost. Bad luck. Here in Australia those temperatures are exceeded most of the summer!

I have this model dashcam - it has a battery, not supercapacitor. Mine is still functioning, however. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it starts misbehaving. At least we don't get those sort of temperatures here, and my car is parked in a garage most of the time.

I have this model dashcam - it has a battery, not supercapacitor. Mine is still functioning, however. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it starts misbehaving. At least we don't get those sort of temperatures here, and my car is parked in a garage most of the time.
Wise man typing.

Go capacitor and never look back, I never have

Back