Dashcam draining Vehicle Battery

Tut0r

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,

I have a blackvue 750s 2ch tied in with a cellink Neo battery pack. I had this installed about a year ago and have been lax with getting around to fixing thhis problem but if I don't drive the car for a few days it'll drain the car battery to a point it needs a jump start, happened 3months after purchasing the car assumed possible faulty battery but its starting to happen again.

Reading online from my understanding there is meant to be a constant fuse connection, ign/acc fuse connection and ground.

The things I know is the camera does enter parking mode but it looks like the battery keeps draining power at 13.4v even when the car is switched off and locked. I am assuming this shouldn't be the case? It seems to defeat the point of ever having a battery installed as it never drops below 100% unless i physically unplug it from the car so it can't drain the main battery.

The vehicle is a 2021 Renault Trafic

Hi there,

I have a blackvue 750s 2ch tied in with a cellink Neo battery pack. I had this installed about a year ago and have been lax with getting around to fixing thhis problem but if I don't drive the car for a few days it'll drain the car battery to a point it needs a jump start, happened 3months after purchasing the car assumed possible faulty battery but its starting to happen again.

Reading online from my understanding there is meant to be a constant fuse connection, ign/acc fuse connection and ground.

The things I know is the camera does enter parking mode but it looks like the battery keeps draining power at 13.4v even when the car is switched off and locked. I am assuming this shouldn't be the case? It seems to defeat the point of ever having a battery installed as it never drops below 100% unless i physically unplug it from the car so it can't drain the main battery.

The vehicle is a 2021 Renault Trafic
Do you know how it was wired?
Sounds like it's wired incorrectly.

With a 3 wire system one wire goes to +V another to acc and the third to car metal body.

The hard wire kit should recognise a voltage drop below ~12.4V and cut the power from the car battery.
Depending on how the cellink is wired in will affect the result.

Do you know how it was wired?
Sounds like it's wired incorrectly.

With a 3 wire system one wire goes to +V another to acc and the third to car metal body.

The hard wire kit should recognise a voltage drop below ~12.4V and cut the power from the car battery.
Depending on how the cellink is wired in will affect the result.
Had a feeling this could be the issue I know where one wire is as they used those fuse addon connections i'll have to double check, but good to know its meant to actually stop and turn off when the car is off. I did notice it looks like they are using the cigarette lighter connection ASWELL because I remember them bitching about the standard hardwire kit barely being long enough to use for the 2ch on a LWB van.

Thought I'd shoot some photos through if anyone has extra info.

The cellink neo is set to 'low' which in my understanding is if you're running off the cigarette lighter to stop it from blowing a fuse? Assuming if hardwired its meant to be set to high?

Also this connection next to the battery is this the standard hardwire connection or something else?

Also have attached a photo of the fuse box with the fuse in place, the tag on the wire says ACC which is meant to be your switch wire I assume? fuse slot is linked to tacograph. Not sure if its live with the car off as I don't have a multi metre on hand...

Other than that I can't see where the live cable/ground is at the moment,

Also uploaded the cellink neo readout while the cars running charging at 15.9 and when the cars off the charging drops but thats about it. Assume its just reading the battery voltage at the time more than anything.

Attachments

• Car running.jpg
    Car running.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Battery connection.jpg
    Battery connection.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Battery Rear.jpg
    Battery Rear.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Fuses.jpg
    Fuses.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 16
  • Car off.jpg
    Car off.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 16
Thought I'd shoot some photos through if anyone has extra info.

The cellink neo is set to 'low' which in my understanding is if you're running off the cigarette lighter to stop it from blowing a fuse? Assuming if hardwired its meant to be set to high?

Also this connection next to the battery is this the standard hardwire connection or something else?

Also have attached a photo of the fuse box with the fuse in place, the tag on the wire says ACC which is meant to be your switch wire I assume? fuse slot is linked to tacograph. Not sure if its live with the car off as I don't have a multi metre on hand...

Other than that I can't see where the live cable/ground is at the moment,

Also uploaded the cellink neo readout while the cars running charging at 15.9 and when the cars off the charging drops but thats about it. Assume its just reading the battery voltage at the time more than anything.

Photos are helpful.
It looks like it is hard wired.

Based on your information and what I can find on the web it appears the fuse is "40A + battery feed windscreen wiper"
Easy way to check that is to pull it and see if your wipers still work! Do the wipers work while the car is off as this could be the problem eg the wrong fuse being used.

If it has a constant battery connection at the fuse box it will think the car is always running and will just draw down on the car battery I think.

Worth checking if the fuse voltage is zero when the ignition is off.

Also, check that your charging system is working correctly. In your photo, when the car is running it shows the voltage charge is at 15.9 Volts which seems high to me.

Attachments

• 1657854492024.png
    1657854492024.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 1
Photos are helpful.
It looks like it is hard wired.

Based on your information and what I can find on the web it appears the fuse is "40A + battery feed windscreen wiper"
Easy way to check that is to pull it and see if your wipers still work! Do the wipers work while the car is off as this could be the problem eg the wrong fuse being used.

If it has a constant battery connection at the fuse box it will think the car is always running and will just draw down on the car battery I think.

Worth checking if the fuse voltage is zero when the ignition is off.

Also, check that your charging system is working correctly. In your photo, when the car is running it shows the voltage charge is at 15.9 Volts which seems high to me.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll double check the wipers. It is sitting in the far left 40A which is the 46 so unless I read it wrong I think its tachograph and 48 is wipers, its pretty flimsy how it sits but couldn't hurt to play around with it.

I might just buy another multimeter to test probably easier as my last one broke.

Also as far as I know the charging system works fine? will probably test that with the multi at the battery too just to be safe.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll double check the wipers. It is sitting in the far left 40A which is the 46 so unless I read it wrong I think its tachograph and 48 is wipers, its pretty flimsy how it sits but couldn't hurt to play around with it.

I might just buy another multimeter to test probably easier as my last one broke.

Also as far as I know the charging system works fine? will probably test that with the multi at the battery too just to be safe.
It seems your car has different versions of what those 3 fuses do.
I picked the latest model I could find 2020.

So you're right mine is slighty different the fuse was in taco tried to move it to wipers and no change whole the camera was in parking mode.

What I did notice obviously as I unplug the acc wire while watching the celllink app the volts in start dropping to zero then the battery switches and the cam just runs off the celllink power so it seems to work like intended but the installer hooked up to live power.

I'm going to have to buy a new fuse kit as the van uses mostly mini and those three ATO fuses for whatever reason seem to have constant power.

So you're right mine is slighty different the fuse was in taco tried to move it to wipers and no change whole the camera was in parking mode.

What I did notice obviously as I unplug the acc wire while watching the celllink app the volts in start dropping to zero then the battery switches and the cam just runs off the celllink power so it seems to work like intended but the installer hooked up to live power.

I'm going to have to buy a new fuse kit as the van uses mostly mini and those three ATO fuses for whatever reason seem to have constant power.
Great to hear you got a result.
Thanks for the feed back.
Let us know how you go once you for the new fuse kit.

Great to hear you got a result.
Thanks for the feed back.
Let us know how you go once you for the new fuse kit.
New fuse kit spliced into acc and changed position, all is working as it should doesn't drain from the main bettery anymore when the cars off. Surprised the camera doesn't last long after being fully charged. Be lucky to get a day out of it even with parking mode.

Played with some of the settings hoping it'll give.me more life.

New fuse kit spliced into acc and changed position, all is working as it should doesn't drain from the main bettery anymore when the cars off. Surprised the camera doesn't last long after being fully charged. Be lucky to get a day out of it even with parking mode.

Played with some of the settings hoping it'll give.me more life.
Because it is hard wired you could try the fast charge option... switch it.
You may need to charge up the cellink Neo battery pack. It may not have a full charge.

Great to hear you got a result. What fuse or wire did you end up connecting it to?

Back