Dashcam Fails Under High Temperatures (Recording Light Blinks, Camera Frozen)

skyxliner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Camera: Viofo A129 Pro Duo
Hardwired HK3

I've been reading similar threads throughout the last couple years but noticed Viofo never addressed the problem. I've been working with Viofo the last couple months since I bought the camera and they've continued to tell me this is a firmware problem that they'll try to fix next time. I checked back with them recently and they told me they didn't have a new firmware available (even though there's a new beta 2.10T in the firmware thread). The last communication from them basically said due to global warming and heat streak their 4k cameras are malfunctioning... seems more a hardware issue that they are unwilling to admit to. The only suggestion from Viofo was to basically downgrade this camera with lower bitrate and resolution which essentially defeats the point of a 4k camera, I might as well have bought a lower resolution camera.

Similar threads:
https://www.google.com/search?q=vio...l2j33i299l2.8560j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Question: if anyone is having this, is there a way to hack the firmware to have an earlier high temperature cut off? Just seems like the camera is holding out too long.
Anyone having luck working with Viofo to exchange cameras?

I watched a video a few days ago where a guy reviewing an A119 mini had issues with the cam shutting down due to heat so still an issue in even their latest cams.

Issue is that people demand a small package so you end up with everything crammed together. My son has a Blackvue 4k front/rear and even here in the UK it’s shuts down in a warm day, Blackvue have blamed everything apart from admit that there’s a problem with their cam which sucks given the price my son paid for it.

i experienced the same issue during the hot summer, so i simply added a fan to cool it down, the fan starts running at 70 degree and stop running at 50 degree. full speed when engine is off. lower speed when engine is on. https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1xG411n7xD/ check the video

Wow that is really creative! Almost wish they would just build the fan into the 4k cameras.

The solution is simple, make remote cameras, and BIG main box with proper cooling solution ( heat pipe / vapor chamber cooler ) maybe even a fan.
Current remote systems have been with small main box, and that is a mistake as then you have no proper cooling solution inside, only + is the main box are out of direct sun.

I must admit i have never had a camera having problems recording while driving, and this year my A229 camera ( facing the sun ) have done parking guard in the hottest ever Danish summer ( +30 deg C )
And i muist admit that did expect the A229 to fail that day, but it did not do that.

Yeah that still not as hot as California where the coolest places are now 90 degrees and inland reaching 105-110.

I'll add that my A129 Pro Duo/Dual has heat related problems as well. I set it to not run when I'm parked, and it only turns on when the car is on, that fixed the heat issue. It sucks that I can't use one of the major features of the camera because of bad design.

Yeah Viofo kind of baited me saying they'll resolve it through firmware updates and i kept waiting and waiting. now that i'm past the return period they refuse to warranty this issue.

1) they advertise a heat temperature shutoff but it doesn't work, the system malfunctions before it even shuts off.
2) they don't warn what is the heat range for 4k that it would NOT work under, so buyers can be informed.
3) baiting customers past warranty period and then refusing to acknowledge this as a hardware issue.

Yeah Viofo kind of baited me saying they'll resolve it through firmware updates and i kept waiting and waiting. now that i'm past the return period they refuse to warranty this issue.

1) they advertise a heat temperature shutoff but it doesn't work, the system malfunctions before it even shuts off.
2) they don't warn what is the heat range for 4k that it would NOT work under, so buyers can be informed.
3) baiting customers past warranty period and then refusing to acknowledge this as a hardware issue.
What memory card are you using?

Does this occur while driving or during parking mode?

I watched a video a few days ago where a guy reviewing an A119 mini had issues with the cam shutting down due to heat so still an issue in even their latest cams.
Only one person on this forum had problems with the A119 Mini due to overheating and it was a pre-production sample.
No one else experienced such problems. In any case, I have not seen any complaints.
I use A119V3, T130 3CH, A119 Mini and A229 Duo and none of them had problems due to high temperatures.
All models worked in motion and in the parking lot. (Recording with low bitrate). The air temperature outside the car reached up to +40°С.

If you're saying no one else has this issue with 40C and up, then that means my unit is defective and should qualify for Viofo warranty.

I use Viofo SD Card, tested with 2 same situation.

If you're saying no one else has this issue with 40C and up, then that means my unit is defective and should qualify for Viofo warranty.

I use Viofo SD Card, tested with 2 same situation.
While driving or in parking mode?

no concern with driving (only because my AC is running and cabin is cool).

issue is with parking mode, various bitrate even low bitrate, also while car is parked with parking mode disabled (just running normally)
viofo had me experiment different settings.

Hi, which email do you use to contact us? we will make sure your issue is resolved this time, you may also submit a new ticket.

Back