dashcam for an upgrader :)

Stu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I've had a Blackvue DR500GW-HD for a while, but the quality of the videos is far too poor for me, I need to be able to easily read road signs (fixed and temporary road-side signs) as I intend to use the video to help improve waze mapping.

so, requirements, in order, are

• excellent daytime video quality ( 60 fps ?)
  • gps embedded (I'd rather not have an extra box/cables for a separate gps addon)
  • Mac compatible software to review captured video with side-by-side gps/map display (Although, I have Win7 virtual machine to run it on if needs-be )

don't worry about
  • embedded screen
  • cost
Enlighten me folks :up I've had a look at a few cameras here and on techmoan but I can't find my grail. The comparison sites presuppose you know the devices you want to compare. I want to select/compare based on features instead.

here a full-res screengrab from my current blackvue, this was from the centre third of the screen too, which is the sharpest area. I need the replacement to be a lot clearer.

14292541334_eee9906c87.jpg

Last edited:
Hey fellas, howdy.
I'm looking to upgrade too and have my eyes on DOD F980LS for $176
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200970989794and DOD F900LHD for $99.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200970811811According to the description, the F980LS is an original DOD, at least it has a DOD hologram.
Currently I'm running a fake K2000 and looking for better picture, but really want to keep flip down display and adjustable up and down lens, cuz the way I mount my K2000 right to the windshield without the holder.
Out of these two, based on your knowledge and cameras specs, which camera would deliver a better picture vs fake K2000?
Would I even see the difference?
Don't mean to hijack the thread, just don't want to open another "please help me" :) thread.
Thanks.

I think there are much better options than these two, these are very outdated models

For a cheaper model look at the GT680W, for something higher up the Panorama S, both miles better than these old DOD models

Stu, Closest I could think of is mini 0803. Techmoan did a review of DOD LS430W, does it suit your requirements?

Thanks. I'll take a look at the 0803. Actual video clips are best to gauge quality. YouTube fiddles with it.

Marcus 3. XHD and 1080p60

Back