Dashcam integrated to license plate ?

chris-s

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S-2CH, DR750X-2CH, A129-DUO, many others...
Hi all,

My next car for work will be a Renault Kangoo without rear window.
My actual rear dashcam A118 will be unusable.

So, Im looking for an alternative solution.

I was thinking about a dashcam integrated into the license plate.

Does this exists ?

I haven't seen one. there's plenty of license plate frames / mounts for backup cameras but that only outputs composite video. and there are video recorders that will capture that composite video but the picture quality isn't going to be great and it's not going to be automated. there are DVRs specifically for use in the elements and you can see some of them in the motorcycle cameras subforum but mounting is still going to be an issue.

you can get a waterproof camera unit for the SGZC12RC, but its camera unit are still "large" with 2 CM or so on each side, and it are square so you cant just drill a hole for it somewhere.

I think SG also plan to make waterproof camera units for their new lines, but they will not be there from day 1

This looked interesting, i don't know this product but from youtube samples main camera looks good enough for rear view, second camera is mostly useless.

Though I can't find it, somewhere I saw a thread where a Transit van driver modified the high 3rd brake light lens to incorporate a can into it and it worked very well. You need high mounting with dashcams to capture the larger picture if what is happening there. Low mounting will show only cars blocking that kind of view, and while that might still be helpful in a rear-end crash where tailgating was occurring that's about all low mounting will be able to do for you. Be creative in your solutions for sometimesc that is the only good solution ;) Nothing is impossible for those who will try long and hard enough to achieve it :cool:

Phil

Thanks all for suggestions.
A higher view will not be the best angle to capture licence plates, and a lower view will not capture the full scene.
The first question for me is : were can I find a waterproof rear dashcam with descent quality, and where can I easily mount it outside.
Many differents parameters to study...
On the Kangoo, the best place will be in the licence plate zone.
As it is not my personal car, I can't make any change on the 3rd stop light.

As it is not my personal car, I can't make any change on the 3rd stop light.

If it is assigned to you alone, then you can get another lens assembly and put the original back when you return the vehicle. There will be places behind it for the wiring so you wouldn't be permanently altering the vehicle. But this may not be possible- I just want to show how far outside the box you might want to be thinking ;)

The biggest problem with an exterior mounted cam will be the wiring but maybe you can find a good way to route it. Otherwise your only real option is an action cam in a waterproof case and that brings it's own problems :rolleyes: Battery life is limited so you'll be constantly changing batteries which you'll need to charge at home overnight for the next day's use. The waterproof case will get lots or wear-and-tear for that. Action cams aren't designed for the high-heat environment which this one might encounter. And there's always the chance of theft :(

If I had a Kangoo in front of me to study I might have more ideas but lacking that there's not much more I can suggest. There will be no ideal solution here so just do the best you can. And should no solution appear, don't worry too much as your front cam is almost always sufficient to prove that you bore no fault in a crash :cool:

Phil

I did some searching and came across different styles of the van in question. I see some have a sort of lip where the plate frame is. I am wondering if you could put a piece of Dual Lock Tape on the plastic lip of yours has it, and mount a K1S there.

I would look to see if you could mount on the bumper itself. It looks like that is the only other option. You may find that the small square part in the bumper is a removable plug for trailer wiring that you can put a cam in. Anything mounted outside the machine is in danger of rocks and getting dirty fast especially in winter.

RenaultKangoovanZE0512(3)_794_529_70.jpg

I was curious, and also remember the transit/sprinter thread....vaguely. :)

Not a lot of option without making some holes or modifications

I was curious, and also remember the transit/sprinter thread....vaguely
Some of the ones I seen for the Kangaroo have black plastic around the plate area. That is where I was suggesting putting the dual lock tape and K1S at.

I'd be closely investigating the black trim pieces above the taillights to see if they were able to be waterproofed and had space behind them for a cam. New part, small hole with a clear plastic piece glued inside for the lens to see through, and wiring down behind the taillights. Card and cam access might be a bugger, but if done carefully it would look 'factory' from the outside to the average observer, and using a uber-reliable cam like Mobius or SG 9665GC would make cam and card checks less frequently needed. Lots of work and maybe not cheap but solves the problems ;)

Phil

Back