Dashcam Interference with AM FM Radio Signal

RonL

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
My wife has a 2016 Nissan x-Trail. We have a Gator Dashcam installed and plugged into the 12V output socket. This socket is below the AM FM Radio.
We installed the camera when we purchased the car and for nearly 3 years we have had scratchy interference with our AM FM Radio, to the point where most stations we couldn't get at all.
We sent the car back to Nissan to get the radio reception fixed numerous times over the 3 years, still no luck. Nissan replaced the antenna and ran multiple tests and could not identify the problem.
Then one day during a service, the mechanic accidentally knocked the Dashcam cord out of the 12V socket and immediately had clear radio reception.
The Dashcam is interfering with the radio signal.
I've tried running the cable down both the left and right A pillars but it makes no difference.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, did you find a solution? Would hard wiring rectify the problem?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I had a similar experience with my wife's Honda - but only when installing a rear camera, front only was fine.

My eventual solution (although it was only a partial solution) was to go with a different camera.

Lot's of discussion about causes and potential solutions in this thread:

Here are some threads regards RFI, which is dealt with similarly regardless of the type of device being interfered with:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/radio-interference-from-camera-mounted-in-rear-window.20620/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/fm-interference.11958/

The short of this is the usual cures: 1- Distancing all the pieces as far from each other as possible. 2- Snap-on ferrite chokes at one or both ends of cabling. 3- Different PS.

My guess is you're getting RFI from the PS due to it's close proximity to the radio. You could use a powerbank or booster cables (don't short them!) to provide power to the cam or the ciggie plug PS holding it away from the radio as a test. If that clears it up, a better PS should mitigate the issue. If nothing changes then the issue is most likely in cam or cabling. In that case I'd dismount the cam and move it away from where it was to see if that helps. You may have to relocate the cam(s) to one side instead of being centered. But before moving them, try the ferrite chokes as they often work.

Note that there's no guarantee that anything will help, and that partial solutions are the most common outcome. Rarely do you get 100% solutions, but it does sometimes occur. IMHO this is mostly a radio manufacturer shortcoming in not providing adequate shielding but many cams could also be done better in this regard. Just something we will be seeing more and more of as we keep adding wireless gadgetry to our cars and lives :whistle:

Phil

Back