Dashcam with remote camera

dg1972

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking to put a dashcam in my car, but I want one with a remote camera. So far all I am finding is motorcycle cams, and those suck. I don't need a rear camera.
Minimum requirement is 1080p/60FPS with a high bitrate and high capacity memory card.

Welcome to the forum DG.

You will not yet get 1080/60 on any 2 channel system, but most can if you dont connect the one camera, but then :rolleyes:
Of the ones i know about / have tested / am testing, the SG9663DR as i recall will take a 512 GB card, I also tested the K2S system, but people are reporting issues on it ( see the subforum ) https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/k2s.287/

Systems with 1 or 2 remote cameras are few and far between.

60FPS are only required if you like to slow down a little some dumb ass performing in traffic, from a accident recorder perspective 30 FPS are fine.
I have also tested 2 similar cameras side by side in my car, one running 60 fps and the other 30, in regard to plate capture the difference between the two was minuscule.

Not sure why you want a front remote, but if it's size or stealth, there are some cams which might hide well for you based on your car and cam location.. If you can stand 1080/30 that opens some alternatives, such as using a standard 2-channel system with the front cam hidden away, and the rear cam becoming your front remote ;)

My K2S works excellently, but I have to concur with Kamkar- I can't recommend it because of so many others having issues with theirs :cautious: Street Guardian's dual remote is a better choice; top quality all the way with everything, but the cam modules are larger than I prefer.

More choices if you can use a standard 2-channel as I described above, but with most of these the remote cam bitrate will be lower than optimum. So if possible I'd recommend a standard front cam if you can find one you like- you'll get much better vid performance that way :cool:

Phil

I didn't want to stick something to my windshield, and I get severe Georgia heat during the summer. Ive seen it shut down even the most top rated heat resistant cams. I figured just the camera clamped to the mirror in the sun won't fall off or stop working.
I found the K2 and K3 from Innovv, and their bitrate can go as high as 20 for 1080/30. I think a custom firmware pushed it up to 28.

I was just wondering if there were any known good ones. Searching the web and Amazon is a flood of dashcams.

Easy to be overwhelmed with the choices. Almost all of the dashcams we discuss here on DCT are only the better/best ones. Lesser cams are neither reliable nor useful. Street Guardian is an Australian company and their cams are designed for those hotter climates. The old original Mobius is also renowned for good reliability in higher heats, but it's outdated sensor isn't good in low light.

I'm a couple hours north of you on I-85 near Greenville, and we get about the same sun and heat in the summer as Atlanta. In my cam testing one thing I do is run them hard in my old workvan doing full-time recording at the highest resoultions and bitrates, which is often closed and in the full sun all day at work. I've had a few cams which gave problems, only on the worst days with most and with ones using LiPo batteries instead of supercaps. Occasionally some will shift focus slightly when parked in the heat but it returns as soon as the cam cools a little. A remote cam can have the main processor stashed out of the sun in a cool location, which is what we need. Not enough choices of them yet :censored: Mounting location also p[lays a role here. Most of today's cars have a 'frit' around the windshield or mirror- the black dotted area. If you can get the cam body behind that it helps with cooling. Until last year when I got my windshield replaced all I had was clear glass- not even a tint band- the worst of the worst. When I tested my K2S, the main unit was tucked over the sun visor, and only on a few of the hottest days did it freeze and stop recording until I restarted it. I haven't had the chance to really 'push' my newest cams in the heat yet; TBH I'm expecting some issues with the 4K models as those push the processor hard. Reducing the resolution will help with that, but then you lose the high-res benefit, so more a 'work-around' than a fix. Most heat-related cam failures are when parking mode is being used; few or the better cams have issues while driving but many cheaper one give trouble then too :(

I had very good results with my B1W which was the earliest production. They've since changed some things with the cam but I doubt it has affected reliability in heat. It's a small sleek cam which looks like factory equipment. It might be worth looking into. The original Mobius is a match-box sized cam and can be very discreet if mounted well; nothing is better in the heat. I feel safe in recommending the B2W 'rideshare' cam in heat for driving; it's marginal in high-heat parking. And so far the B2K seems to do well with heat; I'm sure it will be OK when driving. Of cams I haven't tried, anything Street Guardian seem to be great for driving recording in heat, as is the Viofo A119V3. The DDPAI Mola seems to do OK as do a few older cams which do 1080/30.

I've noted people having heat-related problems with many popular lower-cost cams like Rexing, Aukey, Crosstour, some mid-grade cams like Garmin, Transcend, and VAVA, and as well as with high priced cams like Blackvue and Thinkware. Heat is tough on cams, but you do have some good to great choices among the bad ones :cool:

Phil

20 mbit is about as good as it get with dashcams, this is also a heat related decission, higher bitrate = more heat generated by the camera,,,,,, and larger file size.
I had a camera running a hacked firmware, that took my 3 minute video segments to 1 GB in size, where the norm if 3 - 400 MB, and this was not a super high bitrate only 30 mbit as i recall.

In regard to parking guard i do assume a remote system where the main body do not bake in the sun will last longer than a traditional one, even if the entire car get blast furnace hot in the summer.
For regular driving the good people of Georgia must have been terrible unlucky with their cameras, it should work fine for that even if your address is Bagdad or a stone throw from death valley.

I dont even have aircon in my little car, but of course Denmark are not super hot in summer, the really good days and still rare in a normal summer is 30 deg C / 86 deg F bit i never had a camera not come to life for a drive.

Back