Dashcams with Wireless transfer when you get home?

Are you sure you live in Australia? :rolleyes::D

Yes I am sure and same applied when I was in USA and Canada

There are various reasons for that. Some people might be interested in reviewing otherwise "boring" or "eventless" footage in terms of driving because they want to check video or audio quality, if the camera shakes on rough surfaces, if there are noises that didn't exist before, to remember a conversation they had with passengers or, and this is one of the important purposes a dashcam can serve, to review one's driving. Reducing dashcam's function to only capture bad driving events is very, redundancies apart, reductive. :)
Checked it when first mounted New car no funny noises. If you need a camera to review driving ability you have more problems than that.

Just my view You are entitled to yours.

Yes I am sure and same applied when I was in USA and Canada
You must be the luckiest driver in the world! :eek:

Checked it when first mounted New car no funny noises.
I wasn't talking about the car noises, I was talking about the camera noises. They may start appearing after a few months of use.

If you need a camera to review driving ability you have more problems than that.
Not necessarily. Many people started driving better after they installed a dashcam but sometimes you do things while driving that you don't notice at the time.

Just stumbled across this post and thought I would let you know my solution for wifi back up. I run a synology diskstation (NAS) which runs synologys security camera software which is pretty cool stuff. It supports something called edge recording meaning that if you have a security camera which looses network connection as soon as it connects again the 'missing' footage is retrieved from the camera sd card and stitched back into the correct time frame in the NAS.
So using this I got myself a couple of Sony wifi enable ip cameras with sd card support, took them apart from their bulky casings and installed one behind the front grill, and the other at the rear of the car.
I therefore have two 1080p front / rear facing security cameras when my car is on the driveway which then double up as 'dashcams' when out on the road. They record 24/7 with the road footage uploaded via wifi to my synology NAS automatically when I get home, to form seamless footage viewable anywhere in the world on a webbrowser or phone etc.
As they are IP cameras the upload rate is quick, say a complete day on the road would take 30 minutes to upload.
It suits my needs, just thought I would let you know how I tackled a problem I had where the conventional tech isn't there yet.

Just stumbled across this post and thought I would let you know my solution for wifi back up. I run a synology diskstation (NAS) which runs synologys security camera software which is pretty cool stuff. It supports something called edge recording meaning that if you have a security camera which looses network connection as soon as it connects again the 'missing' footage is retrieved from the camera sd card and stitched back into the correct time frame in the NAS.
So using this I got myself a couple of Sony wifi enable ip cameras with sd card support, took them apart from their bulky casings and installed one behind the front grill, and the other at the rear of the car.
I therefore have two 1080p front / rear facing security cameras when my car is on the driveway which then double up as 'dashcams' when out on the road. They record 24/7 with the road footage uploaded via wifi to my synology NAS automatically when I get home, to form seamless footage viewable anywhere in the world on a webbrowser or phone etc.
As they are IP cameras the upload rate is quick, say a complete day on the road would take 30 minutes to upload.
It suits my needs, just thought I would let you know how I tackled a problem I had where the conventional tech isn't there yet.

How much does the Synology Diskstation cost? How much did the whole project cost?

Diskstation was something I already had, originally came from Amazon on one of their many sales, paid no more than £250 for it (5 years ago now), and that was with 8 terabytes of hard drives as well. Cameras were an eBay special. they weren't new, literally took them apart, hard wired the power into the cars fuse box and mounted in a discreet location, mainly because that was what I was looking for, discreet security cameras on the car. Only other thing I did was install an infrared lamp within one of the headlights (in place of one of the side light bulbs) this is only for the security perspective of night time illumination. cameras were Sony, only because at the time they had the best sensors on them. Will do an eBay search later and post some links to the type of kit that I would use now if doing it all again

What you've created here sounds very interesting but I see that a Diskstation will cost about double that or more nowadays depending on the model and apparently you would still need to add the drives and other hardware, not including the cameras. I guess if one thinks they need this capability, have the installation skills and can afford it, it might be a worthwhile endeavor.

I can't see many companies wanting to add this feature, I did see @Street Guardian USA said Joovuu X is going to add it but it seems like a feature that is pretty unnecessary except for people like police (and I think AXON cameras do do this, but you have to pay monthly for cloud storage). 99% of people most of the time aren't going to be capturing anything worth saving, and many cams are so sensitive events are recorded more than they need to. It would take so much bandwidth and time to upload all your driving, events/manual locked files seems more reasonable.

Doesnt the ddpai mini do something similar tho where it can save to your phone automatically from an event? i thought i remember it doing that.

Otherwise I would prefer cameras add 4g/lte and let me pay $10 a month extra on my current phone plan to add my camera, and have it upload events or manual locked videos to the cloud of my choice like one drive, dropbox, google drive etc. Pretty sure blackvue is doing something similar with their cloud feature (you have to pay monthly tho beyond the basic service which doesn't offer much), i just dont remember it being automatic saves to the cloud but i could be remembering wrong. they also didn't have cellular service built in tho, it had to connect to a wifi hotspot in your car.

personally I am fine with wifi like thinkware/blackvue have, just let me transfer a file to my phone while still in my car when I really need to save something. until there is an easy way to automatically upload to the cloud anywhere and anytime I am not sold on automatic uploading to a server/cloud, and that would require cellular connection built into the dashcam or the car, but the wifi needs to stay on when the car is off which can possibly drain your car battery. I don't think any add on wifi devices allow you to keep it on when the car is off.... except maybe if you mod it.

I would like to see this. However, being it WiFi the security should be tight. You wouldn't want your camera to start uploading your footage with private audio to a rogue access point.

I utterly hate wifi, but i do use it at home with a wifi router connected to my NAS so i can view my cameras on my tablet via wifi.
But that router is not on the internet and if some one did hack my wifi and NAS or tablet and could see my 4 cameras that would be alright as they are all facing out of my apartment, so no footage of me running around butt naked.

Other than that all wifi and even bluetooth are OFF here, and i would never connect to anther public AP, and i don't need to i have 20 Gb data on my phone and i use like 2 maximum.

Are you sure you live in Australia? :rolleyes::D

There are various reasons for that. Some people might be interested in reviewing otherwise "boring" or "eventless" footage in terms of driving because they want to check video or audio quality, if the camera shakes on rough surfaces, if there are noises that didn't exist before, to remember a conversation they had with passengers or, and this is one of the important purposes a dashcam can serve, to review one's driving. Reducing dashcam's function to only capture bad driving events is very, redundancies apart, reductive. :)

Last November I found out after Thanksgiving that in my brother's neighborhood a little autistic boy ran away from his house and was missing. A worker at a shop said she saw him along the main road, around the time I left. I checked my dashcam but didn't see any sign of the kid. But if he happened to be right there, I would have had the video, but not if I only had an hour of recording time. You never know what is going to be useful information

That's why I use large cards. For simply protecting yourself while driving a few hours may be plenty but I like more when I can have that. There have been some local incidents I would have had some footage of but I passed through the areas before they happened so I had nothing relevant.

Phil

We have moved 2 years forward from the day this thread was created. I have been using dashcam for almost 8 years and I still view hours of dashcam video. I bought Transcend DP520 only because it has wifi file transfer, but it has been a joke. 5 min video clip is around 450 MB, and it takes 15 min to transfer 1 file through its 2.4GHz wifi. Wifi technology has come way ahead (actually they were ahead since several years back, only the dashcam manufacturers are lagging behind). I capture video footage in my Galaxy phones, iPhones and transfer to laptop through SendAnywhere or ShareIt and 4GB video gets transferred in less than a minute. Why can't dashcam manufacturers use 5GHz wifi modules? Plugging SD card out of dash cam is hassle for

1. It moves dashcam and requires painstaking re-positioning (no issue if you don't plan on making videos)
2. Sometimes you only need 1 file to share one interesting event, taking SD out is a hassle and I many times let go of that event.
3. If you have taken SD out, it is very likely you forget to take it back to car and by the time you realize it is missing, you don't want to go back and fetch it.
4. You have to be extra careful that you don't drop card in the car, finding that is a challenge.

The reason why dashcam technology is lagging behind is because none of the tech savvy companies like Samsung, LG, Sony are building it.

We have moved 2 years forward from the day this thread was created. I have been using dashcam for almost 8 years and I still view hours of dashcam video. I bought Transcend DP520 only because it has wifi file transfer, but it has been a joke. 5 min video clip is around 450 MB, and it takes 15 min to transfer 1 file through its 2.4GHz wifi. Wifi technology has come way ahead (actually they were ahead since several years back, only the dashcam manufacturers are lagging behind). I capture video footage in my Galaxy phones, iPhones and transfer to laptop through SendAnywhere or ShareIt and 4GB video gets transferred in less than a minute. Why can't dashcam manufacturers use 5GHz wifi modules? Plugging SD card out of dash cam is hassle for

1. It moves dashcam and requires painstaking re-positioning (no issue if you don't plan on making videos)
2. Sometimes you only need 1 file to share one interesting event, taking SD out is a hassle and I many times let go of that event.
3. If you have taken SD out, it is very likely you forget to take it back to car and by the time you realize it is missing, you don't want to go back and fetch it.
4. You have to be extra careful that you don't drop card in the car, finding that is a challenge.

The reason why dashcam technology is lagging behind is because none of the tech savvy companies like Samsung, LG, Sony are building it.
My Viofo A129 has 5G wifi, which can transfer the videos almost as fast as if I use the camera as a USB card reader, however it is not only the "Wifi technology has come way ahead", with high bitrate 4K video and multiple channels I can still only transfer 1 minute of video per minute!

Your points:
1. The Viofo A129 has a mount that requires no re-positioning after removing and replacing the camera.
2. If I remove the camera to plug into the computer then there is no hassle in taking out the SD card.
3. If I take the SD card out then the camera complains as soon as I start the engine, can't really forget it, and if I take the camera then there is no startup chime.
4. Another reason for taking the camera, not the card.

Why can't dashcam manufacturers use 5GHz wifi modules?
there are, they're not significantly quicker in most cases, removing the card and using a USB 3.0 card reader is still faster

not a big enough market for them to be interested, it would unlikely change anything though, Sony make action cameras that aren't market leaders in any respect

Back