DDpai mini Video Review

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States

I reviewed the DDpai mini, provided for review by gearbest.com. I'll let the video do the explaining itself but there were a few things i wanted to point out. This is a 1080p 30 fps camera with relatively low bitrate (8mbps) but it has a few features that I haven't seen work as well in other cheap cameras. specifically the parking guard with time lapse mode and the app which I think is very well designed.

few issues to point out

1) some people have complained about lack of documentation or explanation on how it works. i would agree, for example the "manual" doesn't explain how parking guard works what so ever, I couldn't find anything about it on the website either.

2) considering how little help there is about the app I HOPE i understand the parking mode correctly. the way it seemed to work for me is you can turn parking guard on, and if you have the camera hard wired (you need to purchase a kit separate, no official kit is available but i mention a few options on my videos description), it will sense the camera is no longer moving while parked from the g sensor. once it senses a g shock it will immediately start recording. from my testing it starts recording within a fraction of a second, but it is not buffered (so it does not save 10 seconds before the g shock like many korean cams). there is also no motion sensing mode that I have found. if you turn on time lapse mode, it is always recording in parking mode, but only at 1 frame per second. once it senses a g shock it starts recording in 1080p30 again.

I hope my understanding of the parking guard is correct, thats what it seemed to do for my testing. but again, I could not find more information from the company.

Over all for the price for the camera I really like it. people looking for great video quality should look elsewhere though. the video quality is passable for me, good enough, but not great (nice colors, but the low bitrate doesn't give it very detailed images especially while moving fast). its the sleek stealthy design, fleshed out app, and decent parking mode for such a cheap price that made up for any of the drawbacks for me.

More issues I found:
Low VBR.
It takes around 25 seconds before it starts recording when it gets power.
The mount is attached to the camera so there is no way to take it out without taking the whole thing off.

More issues I found:
Low VBR.
The mount is attached to the camera so there is no way to take it out without taking the whole thing off.
I saw you mentioned the 25 second time to start in your review (I read it just last night). I never realized this. All my clips from starting my car at home I sat in my car for a few minutes before moving so it didn't occur to me.

I probably should have mentioned the camera is not removable, especially considering that is a point I have made about blackvue's rear cameras being removable when a lot of other 2 ch rear cams are not. so that is a good point.

This is what I found at Amazon US : https://www.amazon.com/gp/B019BJ0NXY
I think I'm going to give it lots of time before I even consider it again.

I was originally interested in the DDpai M6 plus, but I feel different now after reading some of the views.

More issues I found:
Low VBR.
Take long time for power on is behavior for cameras based on Hilisicon which use Linux platform.

Back