DDPai Z40

richx

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
A129 Duo, A139, Mola N3, A119v2, B4K
DDPai has announced a new model with optional rear camera, optional GPS support. The GPS module seems to be built-in, so it's not something you can add later. Key specifications:

1944p 140 degree F1.8 front channel
1080p 125 degree F2.0 rear channel
IMX335 front sensor
SigmaStar 8629Q SoC
NAND flash internal memory as backup for front camera only (will not work without micro SD card inserted)
time-lapse parking mode
uses the same HWK as Mini 5 (USB-C)

Anyone trying this product yet?

Reviewing it now.
e61238cec77cf13793bce90de8a5f04a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

IMG_20210909_154424.jpg
IMG_20210909_154721.jpg
10 - Hardwire kit installed.jpg

Anyway... Any issue with recording footage using the latest firmware? It seems that my Z40's recorded videos after the firmware update (v7.1.1.8) are all corrupted. I'm not able to playback any footage taken after that update.

I've been tried to reformat the SD card (from the device) and the problem persists. Haven't try formatting the card on PC (I don't have any access to any PC at the moment). Does anyone have the same issue?

Last edited:
View attachment 58241
View attachment 58242

Anyway... Any issue with recording footage using the latest firmware? It seems that my Z40's recorded videos after the firmware update (v7.1.1.8) are all corrupted. I'm not able to playback any footage taken after that update.

I've been tried to reformat the SD card (from the device) and the problem persists. Haven't try formatting the card on PC (I don't have any access to any PC at the moment). Does anyone have the same issue?
What's the firmware version you updated to? Do you have another micro SD card to test with?

What's the firmware version you updated to? Do you have another micro SD card to test with?

The current firmware installed was v7.1.1.8. I forgot to check which version is the initial firmware (before the update). I don't have another SD card to test sadly.

I'll update the issue later after trying to reformat the SD card on PC tonight.

EDIT: Ok. Now I know why. My SD card is damaged. It still has data up to last night. And cannot be written with whatever means possible. I can't even format it using partition manager (both Windows owned and EaseUS app). I guess I have to buy a new one.

Last edited:
Ok. Time to update. My new SD card arrived. And the problem persists. Only the first footage (first minute) was properly recorded. The subsequence footages are invalid. The SD card itself doesn't have any problem. I can read, modify, and even reformat it like usual. These are the files when I check my SD card.
Footage files.png
The top one is the valid first minute of footage. Resulting in a file around 122 MB. The subsequent footages only have 40-60 MB. Does anyone ever face this kind of problem on Z40 or any other DDPAI devices?

Oh... And it's quite often showing an "SD Card Malfunction" message on the display.
And now I know why this happens. This new SD card is a counterfeit one. The actual size is only 500 MB (duh). I guess I got scammed.
defective-sd-card.png

I guess I have to look for a new one... ‍‍:facepalm::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok. After a few days of trials. I have a big issues. The dashcam said it is started recording. But after driving a few moments (30 minutes or so), I can't find any footage of that drive. Only when I do open the app and connect it to the dashcam that the actual recording happening. Did I miss some settings here?

Oh, and the GPS is really slow. It is often connected after 20-30 minutes after the dashcam switched on. And it easily switched off when the dashcam enter parking mode. What a useless feature :sleep::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok. After a few days of trials. I have a big issues. The dashcam said it is started recording. But after driving a few moments (30 minutes or so), I can't find any footage of that drive. Only when I do open the app and connect it to the dashcam that the actual recording happening. Did I miss some settings here?

Oh, and the GPS is really slow. It is often connected after 20-30 minutes after the dashcam switched on. And it easily switched off when the dashcam enter parking mode. What a useless feature :sleep::rolleyes:

Do you have your windscreen tinted? Some tints will cause the GPS to unable to connect or take a long while to connect. The tint on my wife's car does that for all the dashcams' GPS. Sometimes 5 mins, sometimes almost an hour to get connected.

Do you have your windscreen tinted? Some tints will cause the GPS to unable to connect or take a long while to connect. The tint on my wife's car does that for all the dashcams' GPS. Sometimes 5 mins, sometimes almost an hour to get connected.
Oh... I didn't know that tinted glasses can hinder the GPS signal of dashcams. Thanks for the info.

Hey guys, how the g-sensor on your Z40?
Mine set to high but won't trigger if i slam door or shake the car. Only triggers if i tap the camera physically.

Hello guys, I've got my Z40 for a few weeks and found some issue,

1. Data lost after parked overnight, early footage of the trip will be lost almost everytime because time/date keep resetting to default and will be update after GPS is connected. **so annoyed 5-10 mins early of the trip will be lost everyday.
--- Is it normal? I think it cause by capacitor exhausted? ( less than 24hrs parked )

2. G sensor is not accurate SR show 0.96 G slightly to the right all the time.

Please feel free to advise, Thanks

I

Oh, and the GPS is really slow. It is often connected after 20-30 minutes after the dashcam switched on. And it easily switched off when the dashcam enter parking mode. What a useless feature
I think same issue as I've found.

1. Data lost after parked overnight, early footage of the trip will be lost almost everytime because time/date keep resetting to default and will be update after GPS is connected. **so annoyed 5-10 mins early of the trip will be lost everyday.
--- Is it normal? I think it cause by capacitor exhausted? ( less than 24hrs parked )

How are you retrieving video clips? via app or sd card in PC? The app is really flaky.
I haven't noticed missing footage but I use non-gps version mount. Perhaps try non-gps mount.

How are you retrieving video clips? via app or sd card on PC? The app is really flaky.
I haven't noticed missing footage but I use non-gps version mount. Perhaps try non-gps mount.
I'm using the app, the time will reset back to 2020, I wonder that how long the capacitor can keep the power? It should be able to keep power for more than 24 Hrs or more?

It keeps deleting the footage because when the time is reset it will be started in 2020 that the oldest time in timeline data and after it is connected to GPS or app then the time will update to the present time, then as loop recording logic it will be deleted the oldest first when the card is full (early of the footage that starts at 2020 will be gone)

Did more testing and confirmed the G-sensor in non-gps version is rubbish. You need to physically slap or shank the camera to trigger it lol
otherwise almost everything else works as intended. Hoping to do long term review after 6 months use.

Had different problem, at first month of use it seems everything is functional. But today, i found out that the downloaded videos and saved to my phone has no sounds. No problem with the sounds when replaying from the app. Any encountered the same? Any solutions? Thanks

Had different problem, at first month of use it seems everything is functional. But today, i found out that the downloaded videos and saved to my phone has no sounds. No problem with the sounds when replaying from the app. Any encountered the same? Any solutions? Thanks

Try using VLC player to play the videos on your phone. Should be missing codecs.

Try using VLC player to play the videos on your phone. Should be missing codecs.

Hi Bro
I’m having the same problem. But my guess u r using iphone? Cause so do mine.. i have change using android to download the videos and u can hear the sound. Hope it will help

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Z40 3
G Z40 3
J Z40 16
Back