Did I get a dud?

Farside

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SGGCX2PRO & Panorama G
Hi all.

I bought a Panorama2S and I think i got a dud.
At first it was great but now the color is getting wacky.
At night it's especially blue... and not that purple tint that I've seen in a few videos here where it seems to help in bringing out the details.

The blue now seems to even bleed into the time stamp.

Another issue is the date/time does not seem want to keep. If I shut the car off and turn it on relatively soon it seems fine but if it sits overnight it resets to 2014/3/6.

Thirdly, and this i was willing to forgive, I ordered a "NEW 2014" version which I was under the impression was the matte model. Is that not true? Not important but it was disappointing.

Anyway, I attached a pic of video it took this morning in what I would consider low-to-medium light... 6:30am... and you can see it is very blue.
Day time is actually relatively very good looking but, as you can see in the 2nd attachment, there is blue bleeding onto the time stamp.
I'm not sure what's going on there.

I tried upgrading the FW to see if that helped, it did not. The pics I attached are post upgrade.
One night vid pre-upgrade was dreadful... I can find it and post a screenshot if you would like.
I have not driven at night post-upgrade but I can't imagine that, if at 6:30am it looks like this, that it would look any better.

thanks!

Attachments

• camtest.jpg
    camtest.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 50
  • camtest2.jpg
    camtest2.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 42
1)
It's rare sensor problem according to the FAQ page:
https://dashcamtalk.com/powerucc-panoramaii/#Blurry_Colors
I've yet to see this problem surface but anything is possible with electronics. If this is the case it's time for RMA/replacement

2)
You need to set the time zone correctly if you have the GPS installed. If you don't have GPS it sounds like the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery is bad. (also time for RMA)

Since you indicate it's not Matte Black, you didn't buy it from us. The other Amazon seller is selling old unauthorized local Korean stock. Since you're in the USA I suggest you return that high gloss version and re-buy from Pier28. (the only authorized USA seller at this time)

Thanks for the FAST reply.
I did buy from that other guy on Amazon.
I lurked these forums while researching cams and was almost ready to buy from you actually, but that was around the time you changed over from RoadCam to Pier28. I would have waited but I was only days away from going on a trip and felt I shouldn't wait. Bad timing on my part :(

I just submitted a return request and will definitely come to you once it's approved. (assuming it's approved)

One thing I did not like right off the bat is that the seller description states that he ships out of the US yet my unit shipped from Korea. I just hope I don't have to ship it to Korea.

Thanks for the FAST reply.
I did buy from that other guy on Amazon.
I lurked these forums while researching cams and was almost ready to buy from you actually, but that was around the time you changed over from RoadCam to Pier28. I would have waited but I was only days away from going on a trip and felt I shouldn't wait. Bad timing on my part :(

I just submitted a return request and will definitely come to you once it's approved. (assuming it's approved)

One thing I did not like right off the bat is that the seller description states that he ships out of the US yet my unit shipped from Korea. I just hope I don't have to ship it to Korea.

I would open an A to Z Claim, so they are penalized appropriately. Their lie is unacceptable about shipping from the US and then it comes from Korea! (wow)

I'm happy to help you out, sorry about the name change timing. (these things happen in Business) Pier28 is bigger and better than ever with a technical dream team. Our new e-commerce site is being polished up as we speak. http://shop.pier28.com

I would open an A to Z Claim, so they are penalized appropriately. Their lie is unacceptable about shipping from the US and then it comes from Korea! (wow)
You're right, I should. I'll see how the return goes first... if they are cooperative then I'll leave it alone. (I just want my money back) But... yea... kinda dishonest..

I'm happy to help you out, sorry about the name change timing. (these things happen in Business) Pier28 is bigger and better than ever with a technical dream team. Our new e-commerce site is being polished up as we speak. http://shop.pier28.com
http://shop.pier28.com

Not a problem and completely understandable. You'll hear from me soon.

Thanks again!

For record, what's the seller in question?
DGTL
He got back to me, was very friendly on the phone, and is very willing to refund me so I can't speak badly about him. Had he paid for return shipping I might not have even mentioned the name... lol.

So Pier28,
I'm going to go ahead and purchase from you. One question though. Are there G's showing similar blurry color issues?
I know you mentioned it's a rare thing but is it more common in the S's or is the G model still too new to tell?

The problem only occurs on older stock it's a rare glitch in older Sony sensors. The G is brand-new and only uses the latest. No problems reported at this time
Right on, thanks.
You should have my order tonight!

Happy to help. We'd Prefer you order direct to avoid the Amazon fee if you don't mind. See my signature.
I hope you don't mind but I did order through Amazon.
Aside from LOVING Amazon, had I ordered through your site I would have used Paypal and assume there would be a fee there anyway.
I'm kind of anal with my card :oops:
Thanks again!

Awesome. :cool:

I've a Panorama g coming to use with the G90 a70 chipset so we can both share feedback.

Pier28,
As an update, the cam has been great... much better than that one from the other seller.
Aside from the unit's improved features (for one, a capacitive touchscreen that behaves as you would expect one to) the inclusion of a 2nd mount was great too. I mounted the 2nd one in my truck so it's ready to go once winter hits :cool:
Not to mention the picture isn't all blue :D
Question
I would like to take advantage of the unit's ability to video out, my car has one of those stereos with a display and I'd love to hook my cam up to it (RCA).
Do you (or anyone really) know a cable that fits my need here? (correct polarity for my Panorama G, and wire length needs to be the same as the power cord.. or close)
I would have assumed ANY cable would do but I seem to remember searching last month and finding some posts mentioning that polarity might be different on the Panorama so I figured I'd ask. Maybe I'm way off.

Thanks!

Pier28,
As an update, the cam has been great... much better than that one from the other seller.
Aside from the unit's improved features (for one, a capacitive touchscreen that behaves as you would expect one to) the inclusion of a 2nd mount was great too. I mounted the 2nd one in my truck so it's ready to go once winter hits :cool:
Not to mention the picture isn't all blue :D

Excellent! Glad I could help make things better.

Question
I would like to take advantage of the unit's ability to video out, my car has one of those stereos with a display and I'd love to hook my cam up to it (RCA).
Do you (or anyone really) know a cable that fits my need here? (correct polarity for my Panorama G, and wire length needs to be the same as the power cord.. or close)
I would have assumed ANY cable would do but I seem to remember searching last month and finding some posts mentioning that polarity might be different on the Panorama so I figured I'd ask. Maybe I'm way off.

Thanks!

Order these, be sure to reverse RED and YELLOW (Red = Video, Yellow+White = Audio)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FHFVZAW
41KlklvD4AL._SY100_.jpg

You can easily extend this cable and reverse the Yellow for Red easier with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B002B8WVVU
41lAnSv-PKL._SY100_.jpg

A nice long video only cable now comes with new G orders but I don't have any spares yet.

Last edited:
Orders these, be sure to reverse RED and YELLOW (Red = Video, Yellow+White = Audio)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00FHFVZAW
41KlklvD4AL._SY100_.jpg

You can easily extend this cable and reverse the Yellow for Red easier with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B002B8WVVU
41lAnSv-PKL._SY100_.jpg
Awesome. Thanks! I knew there was something to it.

A nice long video only cable now comes with new G orders but I don't have any spares yet.
If you'd be willing to sell one of the spares when you get one I'd be more than willing to wait.
Video only is really all I need so it would make for a neater install.
While I'm at it I'd order a 2nd cigarette lighter power cable for my truck.

Awesome. Thanks! I knew there was something to it.

If you'd be willing to sell one of the spares when you get one I'd be more than willing to wait.
Video only is really all I need so it would make for a neater install.
While I'm at it I'd order a 2nd cigarette lighter power cable for my truck.

I'll order some extra video cables in my next shipment for sure.

I creaetd a new Product Page so you can sign up to be notified once it's in stock:
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/accessories/panorama-2-s-g-video-cable.html

The Length is: 600cm / 19.5ft

Back