Difference Between 900 and 750 - solely the 4K?

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
I noticed the major dashcam website was selling the basic (w/16GB card) DR900S 2-ch. model for $100 more than their corresponding 750 model.

Other than the 4K resolution of the 900, would there be any other differences or upgrades above that of the 750? If 4K is the sole difference -- and not that an extra $100 will break the bank -- I prefer to wait for reviews from initial owners (as opposed to pre-release demos) that the videos of the 900 are indeed of somewhat better quality before I purchase one.

Yea, the only difference is truly the 4k, Below I got some screen shots from both the DR750S and the DR900S they were both taken at the same time but the DR900S wider viewing angle makes it different. 750.jpg900.jpg

You can see the DR900S is better at capturing details like the plates off the Jeep on the left.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Reactions: Mtz
Yes, I DO see the difference. For me, the whole idea here (I don't yet have a dashcam) is to be able to make out cars, descriptions and of course license plates. If I have to pay another $100 upfront (to what admittedly already seems a pricey piece of equipment), I'd have to think doing so would be wholly justified were it to come to being able to identify somebody or some vehicle to a LEO, lawyer, or insurance company. Even that extra modicum of visibility may very well tip the balance as to who gets paid, who gets put in jail, and who's life is devastatingly impacted. While (ironically) I could care less about the parking features (of dashcams), I'm thinking it would be a very wise decision to buy the 900. I'm still going to wait until a dozen other or so regular users get their hands on it, but I'm patient enough to wait for the end of the month.

In any event, thank you for your input. It was helpful. - Mike

P.S. I'm just now noticing the 900 showed the white SUV on the left while the 750 did not (presumably due to the former's wider angle?). That could be very important. Nice. :)

Yes, I DO see the difference. For me, the whole idea here (I don't yet have a dashcam) is to be able to make out cars, descriptions and of course license plates. If I have to pay another $100 upfront (to what admittedly already seems a pricey piece of equipment), I'd have to think doing so would be wholly justified were it to come to being able to identify somebody or some vehicle to a LEO, lawyer, or insurance company. Even that extra modicum of visibility may very well tip the balance as to who gets paid, who gets put in jail, and who's life is devastatingly impacted. While (ironically) I could care less about the parking features (of dashcams), I'm thinking it would be a very wise decision to buy the 900. I'm still going to wait until a dozen other or so regular users get their hands on it, but I'm patient enough to wait for the end of the month.

In any event, thank you for your input. It was helpful. - Mike

P.S. I'm just now noticing the 900 showed the white SUV on the left while the 750 did not (presumably due to the former's wider angle?). That could be very important. Nice. :)

Hey Mike. To be frank, most of the time the insurance companies only really need the outline of the vehicle as they just need to know what happened. It's only during hit and runs or if the other person departs from the accident is when the plates would be useful. So even with the extra resolution, it may not be super useful. However, this does depend on the situation that's why a lot of users rather just get the best they can just-in-case.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

4K or not, plate capture are still a illusive beast, you still have to be lucky, or live in a place where sun are the norm in the daytime.
BUT in Denmark and even in the high of summer, if its one of the ( too many IMO ) bad gray / wet days, then plates ( easy EU plates ) can still become a problem.
But when the going is good, i have no doubt the 4K are sweet, and i personally would not mind a 4K camera in my windscreen now as it will always be flanked by at least one 1080p camera due to my testing of equipment for some brands.
ATM windscreen are almost at a MAX with 4 cameras, but i can shoehorn in 2 more if need be, at least if they have a favorable form factor.

Hey Mike. To be frank, most of the time the insurance companies only really need the outline of the vehicle as they just need to know what happened. It's only during hit and runs or if the other person departs from the accident is when the plates would be useful. So even with the extra resolution, it may not be super useful. However, this does depend on the situation that's why a lot of users rather just get the best they can just-in-case.

-Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

Thank you Jimmy; interesting insight. HOPEFULLY this will forever be a moot point (that I'm not involved in an incident and don't need it or need to test it on this or any dashcam. I almost said "webcam." I'm sure I would've been raked over the coals for THAT faux pas!).

Can anyone actually make out the plate of the black SVU in the 4K capture?

@Jimmy, is the rear camera of the 900s the same as the 750s? When upgrading from the 750s, could I just swap out the front camera or is there some firmware wackiness that requires me to swap the front and rear as a pair?

Thanks.

not in the picture posted, a full frame screenshot might have been better, can't host those here due to size limitations so would need to be hosted elsewhere and linked here

not in the picture posted, a full frame screenshot might have been better, can't host those here due to size limitations so would need to be hosted elsewhere and linked here

I know with the 750s there's no way at that distance to read the plate, but if you could with the 900s, then I think that's worth the upgrade.

@Jimmy, is the rear camera of the 900s the same as the 750s? When upgrading from the 750s, could I just swap out the front camera or is there some firmware wackiness that requires me to swap the front and rear as a pair?

Thanks.

The part number of the two are different so I would think there would be some changes. However, we have to test to see how it works with 900 front cam and 750 rear.

I know with the 750s there's no way at that distance to read the plate, but if you could with the 900s, then I think that's worth the upgrade.

Ah yes forgot all about compression, on my computer I can see the plates on the DR900S but not on the DR750S

- Jimmy @ BlackboxMyCar

The part number of the two are different so I would think there would be some changes. However, we have to test to see how it works with 900 front cam and 750 rear.
Looks like Blackvue came up with an upgrade chart and the 750s rear camera is confirmed to be interchangeable. So essentially 750s owners just need to swap out the front camera and everything else doesn't need to change.

https://www.blackvue.com/upgrading-dr900s-series-see-cable-accessories-compatibility/

Here’s the differences I’ve noticed so far:

-4K offers much better detail and quality
-H.265 offers smaller file sizes for any resolution option
-5 GHz 802.11ac for faster WiFi, faster WiFi streaming and file downloading (I haven’t done speed tests yet between the two dashcams)
-Ability to reduce video quality when streaming to phone for faster playback
-Dole shiny bronze trim in rear and around lens of 900
-More expensive
-Wider lens (162 degrees vs. 139 degrees)

Last edited:
That's a good synopsis. But there's also something we all might have overlooked too (even though the photos stared me in the face above): A slightly wider viewing angle!
I'm very much looking forward to this fully coming out in this next calendar week to read a few more hands-on reviews; then BBMC should be seeing my order. Ha - I'm sure nothing's going to derail this 900S train for me but I think it wise to exercise some patience just a short while longer (and I want it for an upcoming SF-Tahoe trip coming up). BTW, I love that the H.265 codec sufficiently compresses the files so that they should take up the same size as a similar duration's files from, say, the DR750. Amazingly, this means that a 64GB card should still be sufficient for my purposes.

That's a good synopsis. But there's also something we all might have overlooked too (even though the photos stared me in the face above): A slightly wider viewing angle!

Oh yeah! Good point, thank you. I've added it to the list.

I'm very much looking forward to this fully coming out in this next calendar week to read a few more hands-on reviews; then BBMC should be seeing my order. Ha - I'm sure nothing's going to derail this 900S train for me but I think it wise to exercise some patience just a short while longer (and I want it for an upcoming SF-Tahoe trip coming up). BTW, I love that the H.265 codec sufficiently compresses the files so that they should take up the same size as a similar duration's files from, say, the DR750. Amazingly, this means that a 64GB card should still be sufficient for my purposes.

Good idea. I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews as well. :)

Night video is the test of all tests at 4K (or any dashcam really).

In good (sun) light, my 4K, especially when viewed in native 4K on my 4K TV is astonishing!

Got the B-124 and the DR900S-2ch and love it. did notice however that the DR900s-2ch is pulling 14.4V at 0.4Ah. So might get the B-124E since on Extreme settings with the 128GB it will only record 7hrs if motion triggering is enabled. But if I set to normal more hours can be made but then the other B-124E will be needed.Hope they will release a Firmware soon that will let us Use 256GB cards

Back