Disappointing 612GW

Hi Tiffany

I have experienced it on the move, but hey ho if that's what it is then what's the best way to solve it?

I am going to try the sticky and see if that helps and i'll be off for a night drive later i hope on the new firmware. I've just benn outside and updated the dash cam to 5.1 and the app now doesn't show green screen. It does, however, have an issue of the app losing connectivity to the wifi even though the iPhone is still showing as connected. I'm not too bothered about the app tbh - i'll be happy with a better result with the wobble and exposure issues!

Thank you!
Kev

Brilliant - Are you send the bug report through the Apps new feedback feature? This can then be passed directly onto the developer to recreate as resolve.

Definitely I agree - please let me know how it looks with new firmware and mount.

Have a look at the clip below for the wobbling example

The clip show it from about 00:24 to 00:45 but you can make it out when on the move too
Yeah, that's the "wobble" I was thinking of. Hard to say if it does it while your moving. It looks like I can see it at times, but it may be a combination of me looking to hard for it and YouTube compression.

The general sweet spot for camera angle is usually about 60% dash/hood/road and 40% Sky. Will vary depending on the camera though. I'd say your pretty close, but you may want to aim it down a tad to see if it helps.

Nextbase are aware of the issues some of us are having and hopefully there will be a solution to come.

In the meantime, as "tacky" as it sounds, blutack seems to work for me now that I have it in the right place. I would suggest though that you try and use as little as possible (I need to refine my lump!) and place as I have in the image below. This seems to have removed the wobble though I only have night footage since placing it there. The other bits you see on the thread have oozed out from the ball where I first tried blutack...

Replicate the big lump peeps! :)

Hi Kev,

I had the same issue when upgrading from the 512 to the 612 - the above 'work around' stabilised my video, I too used the 'stick on' mount - just upgraded to the new firmware too :)

Not ideal to use Blu-Tack when spending so much on a dash cam but it did have the desired effect, so there you go... Apparently Nextbase were aware but I certainly never heard back on any further update on the wobbly mount issue.

Hope this helps.

(Photo Credit - Paul Iddon)

Attachments

• blu.jpg
    blu.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 51
If you do overdo the BluTak (a small ball bearing size is all it takes) then because of the design of the mount, any excess is squeezed out of the 4 slots as you tighten but is hidden under the nut.

@Paul Iddon @Andrew Clough @Kremmen

Guys, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I almost feel a plank for starting a new thread when most my comments have been previously mentioned. Looks like my next upgrade is blu-tack! :D

So @NextBase Tiffany - since the guys comments back in November regarding this has this issue been looked at? I know you are saying to me this is engine frequency issue, but surely not everyone's engine is purring to the same tune as the dash cam to cause a wobble? I think this needs NB to look at it in more detail and give us a blu-tack free resolution(new mount?). It's a shame that one of the first 4k dash cams don't deliver a stunning result.

On and sorry - didn't get out last night for a drive - by the time i'd finished work(and upgrades) my eyes were too tired to be concentrating on videos and driving- tonight hopefully!

@CaptureYourAction I'm going to mess around with the sticky mount and angle today then have a drive. Thank you very much for all your suggestions - i'll update you all soon!

Cheers all!
Kev

@Paul Iddon @Andrew Clough @Kremmen

Guys, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I almost feel a plank for starting a new thread when most my comments have been previously mentioned. Looks like my next upgrade is blu-tack! :D

So @NextBase Tiffany - since the guys comments back in November regarding this has this issue been looked at? I know you are saying to me this is engine frequency issue, but surely not everyone's engine is purring to the same tune as the dash cam to cause a wobble? I think this needs NB to look at it in more detail and give us a blu-tack free resolution(new mount?). It's a shame that one of the first 4k dash cams don't deliver a stunning result.

On and sorry - didn't get out last night for a drive - by the time i'd finished work(and upgrades) my eyes were too tired to be concentrating on videos and driving- tonight hopefully!

@CaptureYourAction I'm going to mess around with the sticky mount and angle today then have a drive. Thank you very much for all your suggestions - i'll update you all soon!

Cheers all!
Kev
I’d be surprised if the “wobble” you get at a stop is the mount. Easiest way to tell would be to mount it in another car and see if you get the same effect. My guess is the “wobble” will go away. The mount could be the cause of any issue while driving though.

@kev_wilts No that's correct - but the exact moment you're describing the wobble is that. What @Paul Iddon @Kremmen @Andrew Clough have spoken about I believe is vibrations which is something different.

Going by the original file and not the YouTube one it's the former.

Ok - great please let me know when you do get some night time footage.

Thanks

Hi,

Ah right OK if that is the best for your particular vehicle then leave it there. The sticky mount is usually better.

That wobble when you're sat at the lights is the frequency of your engine at tick over revs matching the natural frequency of the dash cam.

The dash cam isn't moving on the mount at this time, it doesn't happen when you're driving around just when stationary and it may not happen on another vehicle.

Can you let me know if the night time improves with the new firmware?

You're welcome.
Do you guys (Nextbase) find that the “wobble” issue usually only happens in vehicles with Diesel engines? I think that’s the only time I’ve seen it.

It's not something I've noticed (but I haven't asked that question), looks like it would be a good idea moving forward.

Is it something you've seen?

Don't tell the boss but I've spent all afternoon on this...

1. Moved the Dashcam underneath the rear view mirror.
2. Installed a hard wire kit (nothing to do with the issues, just something that has been sat on my desk waiting for me to sort it)
3. Aimed cam down a little more, this probably is as much of my dash i'd like to see in a video, it's name 'dash cam' shouldn't be taken literally :D

One thing i didn't do was install the sticky mount because a stone chip decided to turn into a full crack , so a new windscreen is gonna be needed - no point until that's done!

Well on the drive - firstly WOW! the MOUNT vibration wobble was appalling! I even stopped the car and tightened everything but i think the cause is the suction mount bit - its got way too much movement in the rubbery bits!

BUT...

GOOD NEWS The wobble in the video is gone! i snapped a clip every now and again on my 2 hours journey. Stopped at lights, moving, stopped at crossroads and there is no video wobble - it's as stable as a rock!

BUT...

The vibration wobble is terrible. This is where i throw a huge thanks to @Paul Iddon and @Andrew Clough for the blu-tack suggestion. As part of the test plan i took a lump of blu-tack with me- (well i have to be honest here, the only thing i had was PINK TACK!!!) and on the return journey stuck it exactly where suggested in between the mount ball and the top of the quick release part. IT WORKED A TREAT! no wobble - the return home videos are solid stable!!!! thanks guys! it'll do as a fix but @NextBase Tiffany - this needs looking at! the mount from the 512 didn't suffer with this. Please can this be raised as an issue :) pretty please!

I recorded different lighting conditions, different roads and over 2 hours (4pm-6pm) and these are some notes from reviewing the footage. Because of the vibration wobble, the first leg of the journey can't really be judged;

1. I either really need to mess with these settings, or the colour is completely washed out! Greens look blue tinged and the almost blue cloudy sky looks white and misted
2. The grain, even in the start of sunsetting light was visible. The video looks horrible! A clip i have snapped at 17:07 is so grainy it almost makes the number plate of the car in front too blurry to see!
3. IT DOESN'T LOOK 4K

It's bugging me, as i sit here I am double checking my memory. Did i put it in 4K? did i mess with the exposure? Yes, i've just checked. Everything is in 4K but it looks wrong! I need time to sit through it to put my finger on it, but there's something clearly not right.

@NextBase Tiffany - I'm going to go reset this tomorrow and try again. I don't think this upgrade has made it any better, if not it made it worse. The grain is still there. I will put together a compilation of the video again from RAW and upload it on my site where you can download it. Maybe i'm being picky i don't know, but this is why i think i need to try another day of it and see what the results bring before i say for sure.

Tomorrow's another day...

Kev

It's not something I've noticed (but I haven't asked that question), looks like it would be a good idea moving forward.

Is it something you've seen?
It has been an issue brought up on this site a few times. Seems to always be with a diesel vehicle. They "wobble" while still (engine running, but vehicle not moving). The last time I saw a post about it was about a year ago. It was a DOD unit if I recall.

Don't tell the boss but I've spent all afternoon on this...

1. Moved the Dashcam underneath the rear view mirror.
2. Installed a hard wire kit (nothing to do with the issues, just something that has been sat on my desk waiting for me to sort it)
3. Aimed cam down a little more, this probably is as much of my dash i'd like to see in a video, it's name 'dash cam' shouldn't be taken literally :D

One thing i didn't do was install the sticky mount because a stone chip decided to turn into a full crack , so a new windscreen is gonna be needed - no point until that's done!

Well on the drive - firstly WOW! the MOUNT vibration wobble was appalling! I even stopped the car and tightened everything but i think the cause is the suction mount bit - its got way too much movement in the rubbery bits!

BUT...

GOOD NEWS The wobble in the video is gone! i snapped a clip every now and again on my 2 hours journey. Stopped at lights, moving, stopped at crossroads and there is no video wobble - it's as stable as a rock!

BUT...

The vibration wobble is terrible. This is where i throw a huge thanks to @Paul Iddon and @Andrew Clough for the blu-tack suggestion. As part of the test plan i took a lump of blu-tack with me- (well i have to be honest here, the only thing i had was PINK TACK!!!) and on the return journey stuck it exactly where suggested in between the mount ball and the top of the quick release part. IT WORKED A TREAT! no wobble - the return home videos are solid stable!!!! thanks guys! it'll do as a fix but @NextBase Tiffany - this needs looking at! the mount from the 512 didn't suffer with this. Please can this be raised as an issue :) pretty please!

I recorded different lighting conditions, different roads and over 2 hours (4pm-6pm) and these are some notes from reviewing the footage. Because of the vibration wobble, the first leg of the journey can't really be judged;

1. I either really need to mess with these settings, or the colour is completely washed out! Greens look blue tinged and the almost blue cloudy sky looks white and misted
2. The grain, even in the start of sunsetting light was visible. The video looks horrible! A clip i have snapped at 17:07 is so grainy it almost makes the number plate of the car in front too blurry to see!
3. IT DOESN'T LOOK 4K

It's bugging me, as i sit here I am double checking my memory. Did i put it in 4K? did i mess with the exposure? Yes, i've just checked. Everything is in 4K but it looks wrong! I need time to sit through it to put my finger on it, but there's something clearly not right.

@NextBase Tiffany - I'm going to go reset this tomorrow and try again. I don't think this upgrade has made it any better, if not it made it worse. The grain is still there. I will put together a compilation of the video again from RAW and upload it on my site where you can download it. Maybe i'm being picky i don't know, but this is why i think i need to try another day of it and see what the results bring before i say for sure.

Tomorrow's another day...

Kev
Interesting. Glad the "wobble" stopped.

@CaptureYourAction im interested in your diesel take on this. Everyone I know is in a diesel so I’m struggling to think if I know who has a petrol I can try it in lol :D

I’ll keep ya posted if I find someone :)

when you can see something that should be static like the top of the dashboard moving when you're stopped that's about a 99% indicator of a mount issue, common with the brick on a stick form factor, the larger or heavier the camera (brick) is, the more important the design of the mount (stick) is

I used to have a wobble, mines a petrol engined Ford Focus 2002...

Funny you mention the washed out colours. I found exactly the same on my 412. My 402 was far better with deep rich colours, and without any polarising filter.
The filter has helped but I need to experiment with an exposure of -1 to see what happens.

I also need to try and angle the camera down as I'm getting a lot of white sky as well. This is a WIP when my new mount arrives.

Not sure if my measurements are correct but the 402 had a 16mm ball but the new range have 12mm which as said, don't seem to grip as well = BluTak.

Looking forward to getting the 380, looks like a far better design with nothing to vibrate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
L 612GW 12
megamih 612GW 20
Rickn55 612GW 7
Back