Disappointing A139

Mine never auto shuts down during incredible heat, but, if I pull the power cable when it is hot, it does not shut down properly and corrupts the last files being recorded.

Thinking mines a Dud at this point. Remind me cause its hard to keep track, are you using a Samsung Pro or Sandisk Sd Card?

Mine never auto shuts down during incredible heat, but, if I pull the power cable when it is hot, it does not shut down properly and corrupts the last files being recorded.
So what would happen if the timer finished, or the voltage cutoff point was reached while it was that hot?

I'm just using normal Sandisk 128GB cards. I do have a Pro in my other dashcam but this has been working fine.

It would certainly corrupt the last video.
I'd expect if the low voltage cutoff was activated it's going to corrupt the files as that's effectively the same as pulling the power, whether it corrupts them with a timer shutdown, or if it locks up, or does shutdown etc is more the question

I'd expect if the low voltage cutoff was activated it's going to corrupt the files as that's effectively the same as pulling the power, whether it corrupts them with a timer shutdown, or if it locks up, or does shutdown etc is more the question
Not with mine on the two FW's I've tested. Pulling the plug, letting the LV in the HWK drop current, or having the timer run out all give me properly closed files. Tried these with low-bitrate and 'event detection' with the 0315 FW and low-bitrate with the 0507 FW

Phil

Not with mine on the two FW's I've tested. Pulling the plug, letting the LV in the HWK drop current, or having the timer run out all give me properly closed files. Tried these with low-bitrate and 'event detection' with the 0315 FW and low-bitrate with the 0507 FW

Phil
@mentadent does get corrupt files if he pulls power while hot, so far he's the closest to being able to replicate the problem @HonestReview has, whether or not he gets the same if the timer shuts the camera down though is still unknown

I don't know how to test the timer, as I'm doing it in a hot shoebox at home. Any ideas?

I don't know how to test the timer, as I'm doing it in a hot shoebox at home. Any ideas?
needs to be setup with 3 wire power, set the timer, start your heat experiment before the timer is due to end and see what happens when it shuts down at varying temps due to timer

How does it know it is on 3 wire power, when it is going over USB-C?

My plan of attack once I get my replacement is three fold.

1. Obviously swap out the main body camera (that's what they're sending me).
2. Going to swap out interior Camera Cable. Again, it's not loose but it isn't nearly as snug as the rear coax cable to main body (can't hurt)
3. If I still have issue, I'll order a Samsung Pro Card. I.E @SawMaster can give me the model he uses and I'll buy one.

Hopefully, 1 and 2 fix. I don't think my Sandisk Cards have anything to do with the issue but it's always possible. I did however test a Sandisk A2 Extreme 256GB and Sandisk High Endurance and both experienced corruption. Although with both being Sandisk, that's not definitive but a thought. None the less, I can always buy a Samsung Pro if for some odd reason #1 and #2 don't resolve.

@mentadent does get corrupt files if he pulls power while hot, so far he's the closest to being able to replicate the problem @HonestReview has, whether or not he gets the same if the timer shuts the camera down though is still unknown

Ya I don't think I can do any more testing really. Other than FHD-FHD-FHD on firmware verson 1.1.....When I get some time, I'll probably see what happens, but at this point, it seems wasteful. Every test ends the same way. So no high hopes on FHD-FHD-FHD on 1.1. As 2k-FHD-FHD failed.

@jokiin I'm wondering is there's a combination of causes bringing the file corruption. I know power loss to the processor such as bad caps or LiPo can do this, but could a FW bug be involved if the cam shuts down properly on button-press but not on power loss?

There are some cases of apparently loose out-of-spec MMCX coax connectors for the secondary cams. I can understand that causing issues but it shouldn't relate to file corruption on shutdown when there's no movement involved. Or could it?

Presumably this cam is selling at a normal rate, yet we're getting only a very few who are reporting issues that aren't apparently FW caused or related to the loose coax connectors. It may be exacerbated by higher heats, yet it's been seen to occur at lower heat levels which are not normally a problem. I'd suspect a bad solder joint but with the way this is done just about eliminates that possibility. About all that's left is some bad components in some cams, or am I missing something?

Definitely one of the hardest things to diagnose which I've seen in my half-decade of dashcamming.

Phil

@jokiin I'm wondering is there's a combination of causes bringing the file corruption. I know power loss to the processor such as bad caps or LiPo can do this, but could a FW bug be involved if the cam shuts down properly on button-press but not on power loss?

There are some cases of apparently loose out-of-spec MMCX coax connectors for the secondary cams. I can understand that causing issues but it shouldn't relate to file corruption on shutdown when there's no movement involved. Or could it?

Presumably this cam is selling at a normal rate, yet we're getting only a very few who are reporting issues that aren't apparently FW caused or related to the loose coax connectors. It may be exacerbated by higher heats, yet it's been seen to occur at lower heat levels which are not normally a problem. I'd suspect a bad solder joint but with the way this is done just about eliminates that possibility. About all that's left is some bad components in some cams, or am I missing something?

Definitely one of the hardest things to diagnose which I've seen in my half-decade of dashcamming.

Phil

I'm hoping the replacement I receive will rectify the issue. Time tells but I'd pretty much say there's a hardware fault going on. Unless of course replacement does same thing, then MAYBE it could be the SD Card failing in heat? Although, yanking sim card out while camera records does cause corruption, the shutdown pattern is different.

could be something in firmware that needs tweaking, always a possibility

I do think there are a few lines that need cleaning, or maybe adding.
The system did not appear to like recording 60 FPS from the front camera in parking mode. ( 2 channel )

I base this on my 3 channel testing, where recording cycles ( 6 hour ) was random, from working 100 % to only recording about half of the allotted time.
Recording 2 channel i have had 1 failure ( 60 FPS ) but changing to 30 FPS i have had two successful 6 hour parking guard sessions.
Hence why i at the moment are most inclined to proceed with my testing in 2 channel mode.

Back