Discovery Adventures DC100 - Review + Fix for car charger issue

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Final Video Review:

Previous First Impressions:

So i got the DC100 from Discovery Adventures and I wanted to give my first impressions and point on an issue that will need to be fixed (although not necessarily a death stroke).

My first impression was that the packaging and camera are very high quality. the box looked like something I would expect in a retail store, and the camera feels really high quality and sturdy.

I am just going to include the specs from the Amazon listing:

Features:
1. High definition 1080P video at 30 fps with 2.31 inch screen;
2. Superior night-vision function and unique WDR video system;
3. Seamless loop recording function;
4. The AV out function;
5. Can be charging while video recording;
6. Mini appearance, zinc alloy full metal jacket;
7. Support TF cards up to 32GB maximum (Card is not included).

Specification:
1. Model: DC100
2. Image Sensor: SONY IMX322
3. System: NTK96655 chip
4. Lens: F/2.0(f=3.15 mm)
5. Digital Zoom: 4X
6. LCD Display: 2.4" LCD
7. Battery Type: Li-ion
8. Low illumination, 16 megapixels CMOS sensor
9. Language Options: English / German / Italian/Chinese ect
10. Resolution of Videos Recorded: (1920 x 1080)Pixel(30fps), (1280 x 720)Pixel(60 fps) etc
11. Resolution of Photos: 16M(4608x3456), (3648 x 2736)Pixel(10MP), (1920 x 1080)Pixel(2MP)
12. Image File Format: JPEG
13. Video Format: H.264
14. Interface Type: Micro USB
15. Exposure: -2---+2
16. Self-time Delay: 3S/10S/30S
17. Dimension (mm): 58x38x20(mm)

Package Include:
1 X DC100 Car Camcorder
1 X USB Cable
1 X Bracket
1 X Car Charger
1 X User Manual
1 X Warranty Card
1 X Certificate

----------------------------

So overall the specs are really nice.

The few things I didn't like, the mount is the exact same cheap mount that came with my G1W-C. and the BIG issue, is the included power cord (while it is nice that it has a 90 degree angle and a built in USB port for charging an additional device) does not FIT.

-------------------------------

EDIT:

You can easily file down the car charger plug and it will work just fine:

-------------------------------

The plug is too bulky, and luckily I have an extra micro usb cable that does fit, but below is a photo of what I mean, with the official product photo, showing the exact same power cord that I got.

IMG_2543.JPG product photo.jpg

So far I actually do like the quality of the camera, but I felt I should point out this current issue in case anyone is considering it. its not a big deal since you can just get another cord and usb adapter, but I am waiting to hear back from representative on the issue. Until then, I will continue to test, and will have a full review in the near future!

Available in the US :

http://amzn.to/1OSjcHJ

And also in the UK:

http://amzn.to/1Lv6k7f

Last edited:
power cord that doesn't fit is a pretty big oversight, not the best mount, yeah that happens

know you only quoted the specs provided but credibility suffers when they say things like 16mp sensor when it's actually 2mp, not sure why companies continue to do this

power cord that doesn't fit is a pretty big oversight, not the best mount, yeah that happens

know you only quoted the specs provided but credibility suffers when they say things like 16mp sensor when it's actually 2mp, not sure why companies continue to do this
packaging says 12mp. did not even notice that. 12 seemed very high.

IMX322 is 2mp, I guess they are referring to some interpolated photo resolution or whatever, it's just misleading though, they're not alone, 99% of them do the same with their advertised specs

If another micro usb cable works, it's easier to supply the cable.
It'd be more trouble if the port needed modification.

Is it an issue with your unit or all?
Did they check few other samples to confirm?

I shouldn't ask this but is the microusb plug inserted right way? ;) can't see clearly in the picture.

it is an issue with all of them. the representative said they would be making a new mold. I am using another cable that does fit for now. I just wanted to make people aware of the issue and that the company does know about it.

I shouldn't ask this but is the microusb plug inserted right way? ;) can't see clearly in the picture.
The USB port is on the right side, so the cable should be pointing up (like in the photo), not down. ;)

Hi all, thanks for your opinions. The discovery adventures is a child brand of Anytek which is a famous brand in China, the quality & all the spec. are assured!

About the USB port's issue, we will change new USB cable for it (although the current cable won't affect the usage).

Hi all, thanks for your opinions. The discovery adventures is a child brand of Anytek which is a famous brand in China, the quality & all the spec. are assured!

About the USB port's issue, we will change new USB cable for it (although the current cable won't affect the usage).
hey thanks for commenting, it is good to know the company will fix the issue. I have been using a spare micro usb cable in the mean time to keep testing.

hey thanks for commenting, it is good to know the company will fix the issue. I have been using a spare micro usb cable in the mean time to keep testing.
Yes, thanks for your understanding.

Yes, thanks for your understanding.
will any people who bought one already, or people that buy one in the near future that get the old cable be able to request a new one that fits? or will people just have to find a generic/random cable for now? I can annotate that into the video.

will any people who bought one already, or people that buy one in the near future that get the old cable be able to request a new one that fits? or will people just have to find a generic/random cable for now? I can annotate that into the video.
Hi, we will replace the old cable for new one once order placed.

added to the original post a quick fix for the car charger cable plug, just file it down:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sunny Dash Cam Reviews 69
Back