Discreet HD (1080p) cameras for 4ch HDD DVR

RGale

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello there,
For my first post I am asking for some help in obtaining HD cameras for my front, side and rear cameras.
This is the unit I have:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171112219210
3_zps1b320dba.jpg

4_zps052ee995.jpg
As you can see from the photo it has GPS and 3G tracking as well. It will handle 4 discrete D1 channels @ 25/30fps PAL or NTSC.
The unit comes with 4 AV cables for cameras to be connected and an AV out to connect to a DVD player reverse camera input, along with other goodies (Remote control and IP connection to name just 2).
I need to connect some good quality cameras to the unit, but I can only see Home CCTV cameras (Waaaay too big) or DVR HD units that I am not sure I can utilize to stream live CVBS or HDMI into the channels.
Do you have any small but HD quality cameras that you can suggest and can be used on this system?

Supplimentary question.
I have seen a lot of chatter about the Mobius HD 1080p camera. Can they send CVBS signal to my HDD recorder>
What other DVRs can send live CVBS (1v p-p video) to my HDD recorder?

Even if the cameras were HD your recorder is only capable of D1 (SD) resolutions unfortunately

Bummer!!! The only possible assistance would be to get high quality SD cameras. Any suggestions?

I'm talking about High Quality optics, as I am aware of the SD Resolution limitation

I'm not sure, not a product I do, @niko might be able to offer some ideas, probably a few hours before he'll get a chance to reply but I've marked this thread to his attention for you

You will have to look for mini Cameras, i used sony cams based on the effio E DSP when i had 4 cctv cams in my car.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/categories/Mini-{47}-Spy-Cameras/Mini-Cameras/

The best ones are 650 TVL color / 700 TVL B&W.

You could use the AV out on some dashcams to send that tv signal to your DVR, but then you might as well just buy SD Cards for those dashcams and record in 1080P instead.

The mobius allso output a tv signal, but you will have to get the extra cable for that.
Most of the dashcams witch allso do AV out do so VIA a small mini - Jack plug

Last edited:
Most of the dashcams witch allso do AV out do so VIA a small mini - Jack plug

Yes, some do; however the old one I bought last year:
$T2eC16dHJG8E9nyfpmrQBRrF78HR7g~~60_1.JPG

would only send AV out in playback mode only - it is not capable of sending (streaming) a live video feed out to my new unit at top of this page.
So my only option is to get a separate camera with good quality Optics and SD Resolution in a small size to maximize the quality of the video.
I think the Sony Effio E DSP small size cameras should do what I want.
I am also using these cameras:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161193874821set up as side (LH & RH) cameras in the side pillars of the sedan car to take in 170degree view. As they are fixed to the pillar, they are immovable. They are also CCD and should have reasonable resolution. I will definitely be testing them before I drill any 18.5mm holes in the side pillar of my car.
Photos may follow if/when all the bits come together and I have time to install them.

The camera i had in the front window was a 30 X optical zoom box camera with effio S DSP ( there is effio E - S - P )
Plenty of room for that big mofo camera in my little Suzuki.
But now all that CCTV gear is installed in my apartment, the Box camera cover my car when parked in the yard behind the block, the rear camera is installed in the peephole in my front door, and a 3 channel is occupied by a PTZ camera covering the street in front of the block.
The 2 side cams are still in my car, i will take them out when the weather and my time allow it.
The footage dont compare with 1080P footage, so now i have a lukas lk-7500 in the front and a mobius in the rear.

Hello there,
For my first post I am asking for some help in obtaining HD cameras for my front, side and rear cameras.
This is the unit I have:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171112219210
3_zps1b320dba.jpg

4_zps052ee995.jpg
As you can see from the photo it has GPS and 3G tracking as well. It will handle 4 discrete D1 channels @ 25/30fps PAL or NTSC.
The unit comes with 4 AV cables for cameras to be connected and an AV out to connect to a DVD player reverse camera input, along with other goodies (Remote control and IP connection to name just 2).
I need to connect some good quality cameras to the unit, but I can only see Home CCTV cameras (Waaaay too big) or DVR HD units that I am not sure I can utilize to stream live CVBS or HDMI into the channels.
Do you have any small but HD quality cameras that you can suggest and can be used on this system?

Hardware used on today 4ch systems you mentioned is not capable of processing 4 x high-res cameras, only D1.
I have seen only one model with 4 x HD which has all bells and wistles as in this model ( gps tracker, 3g, etc ), but the "secret" of producing 4 x 720p / 25-30fps was to reduce bit-rate to 2-4mbps, which for sure is not even nearly to what we need these days. Only OK maybe for when car is parked, but for sure not for when you driving. So you kinda winnin in one place and loosing in other specs.
Today is already available 2 x 1080p / 30fps / 12mbps bit-rate each channel, but for retail it will be out in 1-2 month, however there is no extra bells and whistles like in that 4 x D1 you mentioned here.
I think its going to take minimum 1 year before we see fully loaded 4 x FullHD with extras like gps / 3g / wifi / monitoring, etc.

FYI: actually technologically it is possible for some advanced manufacturers to produce today what you are looking for, 4x 1080p based on 4x single CPU ( each CPU processes one camera ) + all bells and whistles, but you need to be an investor with 200-300K to finance this project. Lead time minimum 6 month and up.
Without investor non of manufacturers will start producing system which is not in such a big demand.

Supplimentary question.
I have seen a lot of chatter about the Mobius HD 1080p camera. Can they send CVBS signal to my HDD recorder>
What other DVRs can send live CVBS (1v p-p video) to my HDD recorder?

The vehicle DVR you've purchased has some interesting and unique capabilities that dash cam users would probably find useful. For all its sophistication though, it is basically using video technology which is adapted from residential/corporate fixed CCTV systems that are rapidly becoming obsolete in favor of modern all digital 1080P IP systems. As @kamkar1 has pointed out, you could indeed buy 4 very small board type analogue 650 TVL color / 700 TVL B&W camera units to connect with this thing but that would nearly double the cost of what you've already spent yet in the end the video quality would be far below what even the cheapest (decent) modern dash cams would cost. This is because this unit is using yesterday's fixed CCTV technology that was never really intended to capture fast moving objects with any detail in the first place. The reason they show buses in that eBay listing you linked is that such cameras are generally used to record what is going on inside the bus rather than the road in front of the vehicle. They even say right in the eBay listing that, "The VR8800-3G is a professional, rugged, solid state DVR 'designed for in-vehicle recording'." The eBay listing doesn't even mention whether this unit has a date & time stamp for the footage. When you stop to consider what one requires from a modern dash camera like good detail, low motion blur or decent night time performance, this system you are trying to put together leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, in most common situations where one would need to document an incident such as a car accident this DVR system would be more or less useless and the video performance of even a $52 USD dash camera like the G1W would blow this set-up out of the water. Spend a little more and you get better performance and other features of specific interest to dash cam users including GPS.

The reason there is so much "chatter" about the Mobius HD is that they are very well designed, small, well built, well supported, 1080P cameras that are also very affordable at 70 dollars USD (plus cables, etc). Many of us have gone out and bought a second or third one after trying out a first one because they are so versatile.

Speaking for myself, if it were me, I would sell the D1 DVR on eBay and invest the proceeds into 4 Mobius cameras at a fraction of the cost of what you intend here and end up with vastly better video and audio performance and much greater convenience. One of these days we will see a four camera dedicated high definition single unit dash camera system worth investing in but until that time 4 separate cameras (doesn't need to be Mobius) would likely be the best and most affordable way to achieve what you are after.

P.S. You wouldn't have to drill any holes either.

Last edited:
I now have one of the units and it is looking good, however, the lack of Full HD 1080p inputs are a bit of a limitation. I would love to see an upgrade to take in 1080p by using 4 x DSP processors taking up the strain rather than just the one processor splitting the work x 4. The other issue is finding a decent CCD camera that doesn't loo like a Surveillance Kit makers test unit, such as this:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181329670894The issue I have found is trying to get all that optical goodness into a small discreet package.

Maybe I am being too critical, when you consider the pictures coming from them would have been considered 'SD Broadcast quality' (ie 700TVL and S/N of 65dB+) only 10 years ago, and you now would find it easy to convince the Broadcast Engineer of any TV station, to put it 'on-air'. It's actually pretty crazy what has happened in the Domestic market with CCD cameras now.
I still need to be convinced with CMOS to be 'up to spec', but am willing to be proved wrong there. I think that it's all about the optics.
Anyway, I will be installing the unit over the next couple of weeks and if you are interested, I will take some pics of the install and show some video if I can.

I still need to be convinced with CMOS to be 'up to spec', but am willing to be proved wrong there. I think that it's all about the optics.
You can roll a turd in glitter - but it's still a turd.
Like many things in life, this, surely, needs to be a marriage of quality optics, quality processor & quality software?

Like many things in life, this, surely, needs to be a marriage of quality optics, quality processor & quality software?

Not only does it need these criteria to be met but the components of the "marriage" also need to be something other than obsolete repurposed technology that won't be capable of accomplishing the task.

Not only does it need these criteria to be met but the components of the "marriage" also need to be something other than obsolete repurposed technology that won't be capable of accomplishing the task.

I'm sure there are those that will come out with the re-purposed product that's never really fit for task, history suggests it's just a matter of time

I'm sure there are those that will come out with the re-purposed product that's never really fit for task, history suggests it's just a matter of time

I guess I was suggesting that the use of analogue D1 CCTV technology for dash cam use is already an example of that.

Back