distance of GPS module from camera re: interference

Dellaty

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've got my SG9665GC mounted pretty much where the diagram in the book shows (except higher, hidden behind the mirror).

I'm flipping the antenna for mounting the GPS module on the glass as opposed to the dash, and whilst i'm at it, I figured hey, i could resolder these wires at a shorter distance to get rid of the excess cable since i can't hide it easily. Then it got me thinking about just placing the GPS on the other side of the mirror, next to the camera, (i.e. position A on the picture) for which i could really remove excess cable.

Then I remembered our friend interference. is there a minimum recommended distance that the GPS should be positioned from the camera? I recall there were FM radio problems at one point, but memory tells me this was a power issue. Alternatively, I could run the GPS cable along the top and then to position (B) in the diagram, but the next issue might be, that's right where my radio antenna is.

Which would be the lesser of two evils? What have other people done?

Thanks!

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 103
"B" is where I have mounted my gps antenna.

Do you have heated windshield ?

No, never get cold enough here!

I am thinking B would be less trouble because both radio/GPS are simply receiving antennas... rather than transmitting.

but A would be very neat having it piggybacked just next to it (say, 10cm cable)

No, never get cold enough here!

I am thinking B would be less trouble because both radio/GPS are simply receiving antennas... rather than transmitting.

but A would be very neat having it piggybacked just next to it (say, 10cm cable)

At one stage I have been using GPS antenna mounted 12-15cm away from main unit with no problem.

10cm is possibly a bit close, it won't cause FM interference, the CMOS sensor can impact GPS reception which is why it's best to keeps it further away, even when mounting close by it's still very easy to hide the cable by running it across the top of the window and back and hiding behind the headliner

I just mounted mine where B is in the pic above. It's barely noticeable. If your windshield has an aftermarket tint strip across the top, it hides the antenna better.

Looks like B is the way to go. and yep, the windscreen does have tint up top so it's virtually impossible to see the camera mounting bracket as well. Very stealthy.

On a partially related note, whilst flipping the GPS... is that a tiny battery i spotted inside?

I also noticed while flipping the GPS antenna that the white wire that the video says and shows it disconnected, is actually soldered onto the main board. All 3 (I think there were 3 total) wires were soldered on my GPS antenna.

Might be worth noting that piece of advice on the video post so some people don't ignore that wire if it breaks loose when it originally was connected.

Thanks for the answers jokiin.

I suspect I went overboard but upon mounting the GPS in location (B) I then found a length of wood and wedged on the seat and up against the GPS receiver/windscreen to apply gentle pressure until the 3M tape thing cures a bit.

I also noticed while flipping the GPS antenna that the white wire that the video says and shows it disconnected, is actually soldered onto the main board. All 3 (I think there were 3 total) wires were soldered on my GPS antenna.

Might be worth noting that piece of advice on the video post so some people don't ignore that wire if it breaks loose when it originally was connected.

That's a good point. I'll go ahead and create an updated new GPS flip video with the latest shipping version so it matches what wires people should expect. Stand by :)

I cut the GPS module cable and soldered it. I placed the GPS directly next to the camera.
This works. But the GPS fix takes a couple of minutes when a new trip starts (the fix is immediately when I leave a tunnel)

One thing I noted from the instruction is that "the GPS should be mounted with the adhesive side down so that the antenna is oriented correctly."

Bonding the GPS to the windscreen would mean the adhesive side is up or perhaps facing forward and up, but definitely not down. Am I reading the above wrong?

You can move the adhesive pad to the other side if you don't mind the screws then showing. If you want a neater install you can optionally flip the GPS

Thanks Pier28, that looks very easy.

Alternatively, where would you mount the unaltered GPS?

My dash has a carpet mat, would the carpet obstruct the signal?

have a look at what I have done, no issues.
IMG_1018_.jpg

Back