DIY Magnetic bracket mount holder instead of 3M tape

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that 3M twin lock is up to the task, the good one only seems to come in white though which is a bit of a trade off, still not my preferred solution

@niko,

I'd love to do this, however I'm still seeing the tape and not the type of stripes you used. Can you provide a link or the exact brand /wording so I can get the proper kind.

@niko,

I'd love to do this, however I'm still seeing the tape and not the type of stripes you used. Can you provide a link or the exact brand /wording so I can get the proper kind.

You mean type of magnet stripes I was using ?

Yes.

You mentioned you tried some that were weak /flimsy but found a better fridge magnet in the end. Not the neodymium magnets.

And on this note, I will be installing a Panorama g and a g90 so if you are looking to make some magnetic brackets, I may be interested in buying....

I'm trying to research on the strongest magnets I can buy that are still able to be cut/trimmed for my Polarization lens DIY project. How strong are the ones you used? Any ideas? viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2343 (scroll to the bottom)

Banggood.com has a huge selection of neodymium magnets in many sizes and shapes at good prices. Most of the ones I've purchased from them have been good quality and shipped/delivered quickly. You may find what you need there. Neodymium magnets are often somewhat brittle as they are made from compressed fine particles. As such they are not easily cut from my understanding of them. Also, cutting or filing them may adversely effect their magnets properties. However, Banggood sells so many shapes and sizes so you may be able to find something to work with that meets your needs.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/Neodymium-Magnets.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

You mentioned you tried some that were weak /flimsy but found a better fridge magnet in the end. Not the neodymium magnets.

And on this note, I will be installing a Panorama g and a g90 so if you are looking to make some magnetic brackets, I may be interested in buying....

Regarding fridge magnets I dismantled few old recycle fridge doors, some had thin, some thick magnetic stripes. Its all about test and try. I would not go with fridnge magnets at this stage now. Back then ( last year ) it was my first step in trying something new. Now I am "Playing around" more with neodymium magnets. However best solution for quick mount / dismount I find slide in / out solution.

To achieve low profile attach / detach magnetic- or slide in / out mount DIY solution need personal approach for each individual car. There are many factors involved: windscreen angle, dotted area around rearview mirror, mirror size. rearview mirror arm length, etc. So it is very hard to give some advice remotely.

Back