DIY Magnetic bracket mount holder instead of 3M tape

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
NB!
ANY DIY MAY VOID WARRANTY OF THE PRODUCT !
ACT ON YOUR OWN RISK !!!
....................................................................................


There are many dash cameras out there ( mostly Korean make ) that are using double-side ( 3M ) tape to mount them permanently to the windshield, which is not that practical.
Here is an idea how to convert them into removable, quick attach / detach.
I was using fridge door seal magnetic stripes. Also tested before few other special magnetic tapes ( thin and thicker ones ), but they were not as strong as fridge door seal magnets..
Hope my idea will be useful for you or even manufacturers to change their approach to use de-touchable solutions instead of permanent ones.

P.S.- I used white colour double side tape to attach magnetic stripes to the plastic mount and to windshield, but black colour double-side tape would be preferable.










Below are photos of Panorama2 and iCaro B4 dash cameras test.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Zuntax

Active Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2013
Messages
313
Reaction score
226
Location
New York, NY
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama G (Street Guardian), Vico-TF2+ Premium, DOD LS400W
Interesting idea.
One question, do have any interference with GPS antenna or gyroscope from magnets?

Gyroscope is highly sensitive for magnets and electro magnetic interference.

Also it may interfere with e-zpass (tag to pay tolls on paid rounds in USA)
 
OP
niko

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Zuntax said:
Interesting idea.
One question, do have any interference with GPS antenna or gyroscope from magnets?

Gyroscope is highly sensitive for magnets and electro magnetic interference.

Also it may interfere with e-zpass (tag to pay tolls on paid rounds in USA)
Because fridge door seal magnetic stripes are relatively weak compare to standard magnets ( but still strong enough to provide good hold even driving on high speed over ramps /bumps etc ), - there are no interference with in-car multimedia system GPS antenna ( which I have hidden under top liner close to rearview mirror ). Also did not get any problems with smart-phone GPS or eFlow tag ( same as e-zpass in USA ). Never tested with Gyro, but I assume this will not affect it as well.

Best way if you try yourself in your car regarding Gyro. It fairly simple DIY project and can find old fridge door magnetic seals in household or other places ( repair shops / recycle places )
 

Zuntax

Active Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2013
Messages
313
Reaction score
226
Location
New York, NY
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama G (Street Guardian), Vico-TF2+ Premium, DOD LS400W
niko said:
Zuntax said:
Interesting idea.
One question, do have any interference with GPS antenna or gyroscope from magnets?

Gyroscope is highly sensitive for magnets and electro magnetic interference.

Also it may interfere with e-zpass (tag to pay tolls on paid rounds in USA)
Because fridge door seal magnetic stripes are relatively weak compare to standard magnets ( but still strong enough to provide good hold even driving on high speed over ramps /bumps etc ), - there are no interference with in-car multimedia system GPS antenna ( which I have hidden under top liner close to rearview mirror ). Also did not get any problems with smart-phone GPS or eFlow tag ( same as e-zpass in USA ). Never tested with Gyro, but I assume this will not affect it as well.

Best way if you try yourself in your car regarding Gyro. It fairly simple DIY project and can find old fridge door magnetic seals in household or other places ( repair shops / recycle places )
I was talking about GPS inside dash cam.
Also what about G sensor.

I will test that tomorrow by just adding fridge magnets to my ls400w and then fridge magnets to GPS / smart phone.
In addition will test same option with magnets from hdd.
I will also In order to be safe)))
 
OP
niko

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Zuntax said:
I was talking about GPS inside dash cam.
Also what about G sensor.

I will test that tomorrow by just adding fridge magnets to my ls400w and then fridge magnets to GPS / smart phone.
In addition will test same option with magnets from hdd.
I will also In order to be safe)))
As you can see from pictures my Panorama2 dash can gps antenna is 3mm close to magnetic pad on the widshield and had no problem. Also a g-sensor sensitivity is the same, so all devices / functions works without any signs of interference.
Not sure about magnets from HDD, never tested. But you try and let us know.
 

ElectricCircus

New Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Country
Argentina
Dash Cam
3" touchscreen with dual camera and GPS logger
I've used "3M Dual Lock Reclosable Tape" affixed to the windshield with very good results:

http://www.3m.com/product/information/D ... tener.html

It's a kind of "industrial velcro" and allowed to share the same DVR among different vehicles, and is much more resistant than dual sided tape.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
niko

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Last edited by a moderator:

Street Guardian USA

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 14, 2013
Messages
11,238
Reaction score
7,583
Location
Carson City, Nevada (USA)
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
I'm trying to research on the strongest magnets I can buy that are still able to be cut/trimmed for my Polarization lens DIY project. How strong are the ones you used? Any ideas? viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2343 (scroll to the bottom)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
niko

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
JazJon said:
I'm trying to research on the strongest magnets I can buy that are still able to be cut/trimmed for my Polarization lens DIY project. How strong are the ones you used? Any ideas? viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2343 (scroll to the bottom)
The strongest rare Earth-made magnet is Neodymium.
You will find big range here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/neody ... 0830215926
Brows through them all and find 2pcs that will match your lens casing, something like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Cou ... 04802.html

But I dont know how this type of magnet will affect dash camera performance. I would rather stay away from Neodymium.

You may also try to use square magnetic "stickers" that you put to the fridge door, - you know ... those different pizza advertisements, etc., - just cut two similar pieces like shape of the washer matching size you need.

Or you can check if this ready made CPL filter suits your dash camera lens surrounding:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-sti ... 61882.html
more pictures here:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... tive_new=1
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Street Guardian USA

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 14, 2013
Messages
11,238
Reaction score
7,583
Location
Carson City, Nevada (USA)
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
I think I'm going to just get the 36mm MagFilter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0093YC6ME
I't slightly bigger but it's what the other guy is using on his BlackView plus it will fit my Pansonic DMC-ZS30 super zoom pocket camera as well.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2321#p23953

If I do need magnets this site has every site shape and power
K&J Magnets
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

I still have a cheap eBay CPL on the way, so I might use that on a future rear dual camera or something. (and will need to make another custom ring, possibly magnetic)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

zapta

New Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
The dashcam in the video has a simple plastic base. With the Lukas 7900, the base houses the GPS and the antenna. If the two sheets of magnets are conducting, they may partially block the GPS signal path to the antenna. I have not confirm it (anyway to view the GPS signal level?) but please be aware that not all cameras are the same.

As for the magnetic base, it's a great idea. If you can hack the 12V contacts as part of the magnetic base it will be even better.
 

zapta

New Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
I was using fridge door seal magnetic stripes. Also tested before few other special magnetic tapes ( thin and thicker ones ), but they were not as strong as fridge door seal magnets..
Did you use the same strips also on the glass side?
 
OP
niko

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
The dashcam in the video has a simple plastic base. With the Lukas 7900, the base houses the GPS and the antenna. If the two sheets of magnets are conducting, they may partially block the GPS signal path to the antenna. I have not confirm it (anyway to view the GPS signal level?) but please be aware that not all cameras are the same.

As for the magnetic base, it's a great idea. If you can hack the 12V contacts as part of the magnetic base it will be even better.
As I understood, you have a Lukas LK-7900 with gps bracket, right?
 
OP
niko

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Last edited by a moderator:

zapta

New Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
21
Reaction score
2
Country
United States
As I understood, you have a Lukas LK-7900 with gps bracket, right?
Its the standard Lukas 7900. The camera body is attached with a pivot screw to a thick base that contains the GSP. It also comes with a simple clear plastic mount that you stick to the windshield and that can accept the base with the GPS.
 
OP
niko

niko

Well-Known Member
Retailer
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
10,532
Reaction score
6,408
Location
Dublin
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Its the standard Lukas 7900. The camera body is attached with a pivot screw to a thick base that contains the GSP. It also comes with a simple clear plastic mount that you stick to the windshield and that can accept the base with the GPS.

OK, I got it now.

Did you use the same strips also on the glass side?
Yes, I used same magnetic strips on oposite side ( on the glass ) as previously mentioned.
 

Top