DIY second battery for dash cam parking mode.

Thank you for the feedback, I also have 12V lead motorcycle batteries sitting on the shelf. Would it be safer if I switched it to that?
Yes, much safer, you don't need to worry about charging a lead acid battery below freezing and you don't need a current limit - note that the battery shown above has "Max charge rate 4A" clearly written on the case, your car alternator can provide 20 times that!

Lead acid batteries are not ideal though, you would be better off adding a proper charger for your lifepo4 battery with current limit and temperature sensing.

Yes, much safer, you don't need to worry about charging a lead acid battery below freezing and you don't need a current limit - note that the battery shown above has "Max charge rate 4A" clearly written on the case, your car alternator can provide 20 times that!

Lead acid batteries are not ideal though, you would be better off adding a proper charger for your lifepo4 battery with current limit and temperature sensing.

Thank you. You are very wise.

One more question.

Would something like this be ok?

https://www.batteryspace.com/12v-dc...2.8v-lifepo4-battery-pack-with-5.5x2.5mm.aspx

6532c.png

Thank you. You are very wise.

One more question.

Would something like this be ok?

https://www.batteryspace.com/12v-dc...2.8v-lifepo4-battery-pack-with-5.5x2.5mm.aspx

View attachment 43633
Appears to be correct, but note that it is only 1.5 amps charge, not the 4 amps that your battery is capable of, so that will be about 20 watts, or 20 watt hours per hour, which is not a particularly fast charge. Your camera probably uses around 2 watts so will run for 10 hours on a 1 hour charge. Also, I don't know if it has a low temperature cutoff (it does say for indoor use only), charging lithium batteries below freezing can result in fires, not usually a problem with motorcycle batteries because people don't normally use motorcycles below freezing!

Another solution is to use a Lifepo4 battery with built in charger/battery management system (BMS) that charges itself, but they tend to be rather expensive, not something you have going spare!

https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/automotive.html

Let us know if you find a lifepo4 with BMS that is affordable...

Hi guys. It has been two weeks since I installed the low voltage cut off and dash cam. I dead batteries or major issues. It has been recording 24/7 and not reaching the cut off.

I do have one weird issue. Usually 10mins down the road after starting and driving the dual channel camera will reboot itself and then continue recording? Any ideas? Did not do this before the low volt cut off. The camera is stating in through the engine start. It usually just presents it’self far down the road out of no where?

One thing I noticed from your battery wiring diagram is you are using a 2 wire dash cam kit, in order to have proper parking mode enables you need 3 wire kit. Are you aware of this ?

Hey guys. I decided to change my front dashcam setup (viofo a119 pro) to a quad setup (2 pieces of viofo a129 pro duo 4k), because ppl randomly damage my car from the sides, mostly with their doors, and the insurance company didn't want to accept only the audio from the front and the number plates (they can't see the actual damage that the other drivers did)

So I need much more battery power. And the Cellink Neo for example crazy expensive. So I decided to make a DIY battery pack.

Is there anybody who can help me out with the basics? What to - and not to - do...

I found some 12v batteries with BMS, but I guess need much more than that... I am also willing to build from scratch, just need some guidance...

some extra info:
My idea is to buy one battery similar to this: https://www.power-sonic.com/batteries/lithium-bluetooth-series/
so the cells and the BMS are solved...
but about the part, where i can be able to recharge the battery from the car and to power the 2 dashcam, i have no idea.:)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey guys. I decided to change my front dashcam setup (viofo a119 pro) to a quad setup (2 pieces of viofo a129 pro duo 4k), because ppl randomly damage my car from the sides, mostly with their doors, and the insurance company didn't want to accept only the audio from the front and the number plates (they can't see the actual damage that the other drivers did)

Just curious, but do you have photos of your 4 cam setup with side angles?

Hey. I can take some pictures later on today...

Back