Do any info about Image sensor manufacturers ?

AR0330 is one of cheapest...Sony & Panasonic is good

When we use the word, "Best" it's still undefined. What is best? Lowest cost, Lowest light rating, highest dynamic range, highest pixel count, lowest power consumption, ...

Then we get into the issue of in this price range ...

Best:
First of all it should be something that is used in (or in plan for) a dash cam application.
Then, Best daytime video (sure there are an infinite number of factors but it's pretty easy to look at a video and say "that one is better than that other one")
Then use low light capabilities as a modifier.

If you put them in order it is very likely to correlate directly to price.

One of my To-do's is to make a page on CMOS sensors. Unfortunately, unlike processors which often have there name lasered on the chip, CMOS sensors are harder to identify. And many manufacturers do not release the specs. Hence there is less information on what is being used on a particular dash cam.

From my limited knowledge, most dash cams come with a CMOS sensor from Aptina, Omnivision or Sony probably due to the price / performance of the sensors.

Samsung and Panasonic are in use as well, there's a bunch of others but they're dominant in the low end cameras that most visitors to this site are not likely to be interested in, the stuff that comes in sub USD $10 cameras

I'm looking for more info on image sensors too, to better understand them at least to the point of making informed comparisons when shopping. It's a bit daunting so far I must admit, but as usual Dash Cam Talk is a great starting point... :)

The aptina AR0330 CMOS chips must be good, the comming marcus cams from vicovation all use them, and those cams are by no means in the cheap end of dashcams.

The aptina AR0330 CMOS chips must be good, the comming marcus cams from vicovation all use them, and those cams are by no means in the cheap end of dashcams.
Yes, I would think so too, although one thing that puzzles me about the AR0330 as I read up on sensors here, is that many cams that use it (or plan to use it) claim WDR as a feature, but in his write up of the Innovv C1 @DashCamMan notes: 'While the Novatek NT96650 Processor supports Wide Dynamic Range, the CMOS sensor used, the Aptina AR0330, has a dynamic range of 72.4 dB (see brochure). Hence from a pure technical perspective, this camera is not providing true Wide Dynamic Range.' - so I am left to wonder, does this CMOS offer/support WDR?

Maybe its a typo and there is a better Aptina CMOS, i for one would like to see a CMOS that is at least 50% more light sensetive so that 60 FPS cameras can maintain 60 FPS when it get dark.

Maybe its a typo and there is a better Aptina CMOS, i for one would like to see a CMOS that is at least 50% more light sensetive so that 60 FPS cameras can maintain 60 FPS when it get dark.
I agree, and I think that no doubt significant advances in night video quality will come very soon with the demand - but manufacturers like jokiin would know more about what might be in the pipeline...jokiin? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest i have been thinking on a dual lens/cmos cam, 1 lens and cmos to record during daytime, and another more light sensetive cmos and lens to pick up when it get dark.
But then Again the exposure times should be able to handle a more sensetive CMOS in the daytime, but i am guessing here as i have no idea about what exposure times tese chipsets can handle. + 1/10,000 second exposure time in daytime, and no less than 1/250 second at night

Allso a CMOS might be too sensetive so that street lights oferexpose the footage. ?

Sensors are constantly evolving but it does take time to find its way into finished product, we have to wait until support is added in the SDK

Back