Do I have significant glare?

I just tried that and then recorded a minute of video and the file still shows empty. Only folder DCIM shows up now.
Are you sure the camera indicates you are recording? Indications of recording are 1) red REC button light ON steady and 2) with the LCD screen on, there will be a blinking red dot in the upper left part of the screen.

That's exactly what I have.

Edit- I am able to playback a video on the device but nothing when I try opening DCIM on my computer, says empty. When I inserted the card back into the Viofo the file was erased, I'm sure it was there before i tried viewing it on my computer.

Last edited:
Are you saying you were able to record a video on the A119S and play it back in the camera?

Yes, I was able to but when I tried on my comp DCIM was empty, I stuck it back into the camera and it said file empty.

got another computer you can try it on?
I can in the morning time. I tried to record and replay on the camera again and I was not able to, it gave me the no file msg and I'm sure it was recording.

I havent hooked it up to a second computer but I tried tweaking around with it a bit and noticed something. When I turned it on and it indicates its recording I pause the record and check for files on the camera, it shows no files. I then choose the format option (ive done this many time before already) and the recordings from that point forward do show up. When trying to view files on my computer it still says empty in the DCIM folder.

When trying to view files on my computer it still says empty in the DCIM folder.
To look at files on the PC, are you removing the microSD card, placing it in an SD card adapter, and inserting that into the PC card reader slot? If so, try this alternate way of looking at your files on a PC.
  • This procedure eliminates the use of the SD card adapter and the PC card reader for viewing folders and files on the A119's microSD card.
  • Record some files on the A119 and verify that they play back in the camera.
  • Leave the microSD card in the A119 camera and, using the supplied short cable, connect the camera to a USB port on the PC (preferably a USB 3.0 port). When you do so, the A119 screen will turn blue and display the message "Mass Storage". Don't do anything to the A119.
  • Now look in the PC Windows Explorer for a new drive (mine shows up as "USB Drive E:"). This drive should now display your A119 microSD card folders and files.
  • When you disconnect the camera, best practice is to use the eject procedure available in Windows, as you should be doing for the card reader or any USB memory storage device.
If this doesn't show anything different, my last gasp advice after trying a different computer would be to try loading the latest firmware (A119S Firmware Version 2.2) from the Viofo Website Support page here: http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000047224-viofo-a119s-car-dash-camera-firmware. Probably will help only if your firmware has somehow become corrupted. Manually default your settings using the menu selection "Default Setting" immediately after loading or reloading firmware.

To look at files on the PC, are you removing the microSD card, placing it in an SD card adapter, and inserting that into the PC card reader slot? If so, try this alternate way of looking at your files on a PC.
  • This procedure eliminates the use of the SD card adapter and the PC card reader for viewing folders and files on the A119's microSD card.
  • Record some files on the A119 and verify that they play back in the camera.
  • Leave the microSD card in the A119 camera and, using the supplied short cable, connect the camera to a USB port on the PC (preferably a USB 3.0 port). When you do so, the A119 screen will turn blue and display the message "Mass Storage". Don't do anything to the A119.
  • Now look in the PC Windows Explorer for a new drive (mine shows up as "USB Drive E:"). This drive should now display your A119 microSD card folders and files.
  • When you disconnect the camera, best practice is to use the eject procedure available in Windows, as you should be doing for the card reader or any USB memory storage device.
If this doesn't show anything different, my last gasp advice after trying a different computer would be to try loading the latest firmware (A119S Firmware Version 2.2) from the Viofo Website Support page here: http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000047224-viofo-a119s-car-dash-camera-firmware. Probably will help only if your firmware has somehow become corrupted. Manually default your settings using the menu selection "Default Setting" immediately after loading or reloading firmware.
Yes, I made sure the sd card was inside the adapter when I inserted into the pc. I've noticed reoccurring issues which maybe the problem.

1)If I turn off the camera it will wipe out any saved files. This happens every time.
2) The camera will NOT record files unless I format after I turn it on. If I don't format nothing will be saved, even though it may show recording (beeping red at top left, solid record red light button.) The only way to save any videos is if I format before, but once again they all get wiped if I turn it off. So by the time I conect the camera to my PC using the shorter cable nothing shows up in the DCIM folder.

Last edited:
Hmmm. An unusual problem in my experience. Perhaps it is time to consider contacting your seller about a return.

No I have not received it yet. I think I will wait for that one before I begin the return process although the way it's acting already has me a bit worried.

No I have not received it yet. I think I will wait for that one before I begin the return process although the way it's acting already has me a bit worried.

how long have you been letting it record for when testing?

when you disconnect power do the lights go off instantly or after a few seconds?

how long have you been letting it record for when testing?

when you disconnect power do the lights go off instantly or after a few seconds?
Different lengths, a few lasting 15-30 seconds, others a few minutes. After disconnecting it takes a couple seconds for the red record light to go off.

Different lengths, a few lasting 15-30 seconds, others a few minutes. After disconnecting it takes a couple seconds for the red record light to go off.

ok so the capacitors should be fine then and it's not a file corruption issue, just checking

Since your still using the SanDisk Ultra card, I would not worry yet. Wait to see how you make out with the new card.

one last question, you have been removing the memory card only once the camera has shutdown?
Yes I turn it off manually then wait for the light to go off then extract the card. I've also tried just unplugging it and waiting for the light to go off.

Ohhh, I was under the impression that you were already using the Samsung EVO card. By all means wait and test with the new card, because it does seem to be a recording/card issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F A119S 5
B A119S 10
H A119S 22
Back