Do I need to focus my lens?

Aladnan

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello everyone,

I'm a new Yi user(just came in last night). I've seen a bunch of things talking about lens refocusing. I was just wondering if my camera needed this. I uploaded a couple pictures(the outside pic has a script for better quality) so you can judge whether I should refocus it or not

Hi Aladnan,

yes, your lens has to be refocused. All pictures aren't out of focus.

Hi Aladnan,

yes, your lens has to be refocused. All pictures aren't out of focus.
Thanks zwybel. I see a lot of people in the refocus videos saying that they don't reglue the lens. I plan on mainly using this for my drone. Would you think the lens would move and unfocus from the drone vibration if I don't reglue it?

I don't know if, if not reglued, the lens would twist. I've reglued my lenses, but why don't you try it and if lens comes out of focus readjust and glue it.

I don't know if, if not reglued, the lens would twist. I've reglued my lenses, but why don't you try it and if lens comes out of focus readjust and glue it.
Which kind of glue did you use? The only glue I have that looks like I can be precise with is super glue because of the nozzle they have. Thanks a lot for the help.

I've used a tiny bit of hot glue. Your super glue will also work.

I've used a tiny bit of hot glue. Your super glue will also work.
Thanks a lot man. Trying to figure all this stuff out can be overwhelming with how hard it is to find noob details lol. It seems like everyone already knows what they are doing without any easily findable tutorials.. Next is to figure out scripts fully

Glad I could help. Have a look here:

https://github.com/PJanisio

Lots of script stuff and other informations.

And if you have questions just ask here at DCT.

Thanks a lot man. Trying to figure all this stuff out can be overwhelming with how hard it is to find noob details lol. It seems like everyone already knows what they are doing without any easily findable tutorials.. Next is to figure out scripts fully

Hehe i was in the same boat as you couple weeks ago and the lens fix is pretty easy even for noobs :) And 2nd tip i would give is to flash the custom 35mbit firmware that records like normal when set on medium and on high you get the best quality possible.

And there is this awesome app on android called YiScriptConf that can connect to your camera and upload scripts like RAW support or noise reduction. Shame its in spanish but its easy to understand tho and many youtube videos bout it also.

And your pictures/photo's look oke to me so i would test some more in clear day light.

And there is this awesome app on android called YiScriptConf that can connect to your camera and upload scripts like RAW support or noise reduction. Shame its in spanish but its easy to understand tho and many youtube videos bout it also.

And your pictures/photo's look oke to me so i would test some more in clear day light.
I have an iPhone unfortunately. I agree that the pictures aren't bad, but I think I'm going to try to refocus it so it's more clear at a distance since I'm mainly going to be using it on a drone

I have an iPhone unfortunately. I agree that the pictures aren't bad, but I think I'm going to try to refocus it so it's more clear at a distance since I'm mainly going to be using it on a drone
yea its worth a shot because the camera's are made as a selfiecam with a 20cm focus and the best setting is like 40-50cm to get infinite focus.

Glad I could help. Have a look here:

https://github.com/PJanisio

Lots of script stuff and other informations.

And if you have questions just ask here at DCT.
I looked through the github thing yesterday and that was very helpful. Did you have any trouble getting off the front piece the first time you adjusted the lens? I just did a quick try last night and I couldn't get my nails in there enough to pop off the cover...probably doesn't help I always bite my nails lol

The first time dissembling the front plate was a bit sturdy. I also used my fingernails, started at one corner. After the corner came loose a little bit I used one of those triangle-plastic pieces (no clue how they're called) of a smartphone repair set to go around the front plate.

Finaly I could pull off the front plate.

yea just go for a corner near the power button and go from corner to corner.

Is it just me or does the outside pic look OOF for the close up objects and in focus for the far away? I'm going to be doing this same test next week when mine come in.

-Roy

Back