Do leave the sound on or off?

Do you leave the sound on when using your mini 0806?

• Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think over 90% use audio recording.

I don't see the point in turning it off unless someone else is routinely going to be inspecting your driving. You can always strip the audio off using Registrator Viewer anyway.

Sometimes it contains useful information, or just entertaining information. My noisy bike video just wouldn't work without the sound, you wouldn't know the speed of the bike when out of sight, you wouldn't hear the gear change, you wouldn't hear when I reach the speed limit and not go over it.... it would be hard to understand what happened:

I don't have a mini 0806 but I can tell you that I don't record sound on my dashcam. One reason is that I tend to swear a lot while driving, another is that I may not want my private conversations to be heard by anyone else. You just never know when and where your memory card may be played, either by yourself or others (children, police etc.)

I don't have a mini 0806 but I can tell you that I don't record sound on my dashcam. One reason is that I tend to swear a lot while driving, another is that I may not want my private conversations to be heard by anyone else. You just never know when and where your memory card may be played, either by yourself or others (children, police etc.)
+1

That is too funny. That's exactly why I asked the question.

I never realized how much I swear, comment on other drivers, and just state my own personal unfiltered opinions until I started using a dash cam. If I ever decide to run for public office I am screwed if somebody gets a hold of those videos. LOL

I never realized how much I swear, comment on other drivers, and just state my own personal unfiltered opinions until I started using a dash cam. If I ever decide to run for public office I am screwed if somebody gets a hold of those videos. LOL
:D

And do you sing? :D

Mine is on the way from china but when it gets here im going to leave the sound on as i dont care if anyone wants to listen to anything i have said plus if you get an irate driver coming up to your car and threatening you its on video.This has happened a few times over the years when i was a driving instructor.I would have liked to have had a dashcam then, i was hit from behind 9 times in 10 years had numerous irate drivers shouting various things at me through the always locked doors and closed windows.In fact i told every single learner that as part of their training.Leaving the sound on can have important benefits and its worse when you kick yourself having left the sound off and something important happens.Anyhow you could as Nigel said use Registrator Viewer to edit sound. Im off now to look for Registrator Viewer as i too swear a lot too lol.

Last edited:
One thing to consider (in the States, at least) is wiretap laws. Some states require both parties to consent to private conversations being recorded, while some only require one. Private means the parties have a "reasonable expectation of privacy". So a cop at your window, hollering over traffic noise, clearly does not have an expectation of privacy. But someone who borrows your car, or a passenger riding with you would need to be informed that they're being recorded (if your state has a two-party consent requirement).

I've resolved that issue by putting small (3" x 1") red stickers at the top edge of each of the windows. It reads, "Notice: Conversations inside or within 6 feet of this vehicle may be recorded". I've also added a very conspicuous bumper sticker that reads "For quality assurance purposes, all traffic stop may be recorded".

I've hijacked the Police Benevolent Association's (PBA) logo, substituting the "PBA" with Please Be Aware... This way, no one can ever contest the recording as being illegal.

Attachments

• PBA.jpg
    PBA.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 7
Back