do you let your dash cam record audio inside the car?

When I finally get dash cams installed I will have audio activated. Beyond the reasons already mentioned it can have one more serious benefit in a collision. When you are in a crash be sure to scream (like a little girl), yell, and moan a lot before, during, and after the crash. You will have proof how badly the crash affected your mental health and that you actually suffered great fear and physical anguish. This could help sway a jury when presented in court.
Just carry an angry and grumpy cat.
It'll scream all day long and you'll have proof if something happens. :eek:
A fine example of how technology can be used for both good and bad.

I have dealt with insurance companies before. They refuse to accept proof that goes against their bottom line. If some theatrics help them to accept liability easier why not use some? if insurance companies would behave in an honorable way we would not need dash cam footage for the vast majority of crashes. If you want to have real fun have a crash with someone insured by the same insurance company. No one did anything wrong that could cost the insurance company money. Any sounds you make do not change what happens. It only shows that you were affected by the event.

I have dealt with insurance companies before. They refuse to accept proof that goes against their bottom line. If some theatrics help them to accept liability easier why not use some? if insurance companies would behave in an honorable way we would not need dash cam footage for the vast majority of crashes. If you want to have real fun have a crash with someone insured by the same insurance company. No one did anything wrong that could cost the insurance company money. Any sounds you make do not change what happens. It only shows that you were affected by the event.
I think the automatic stream of fk fk fk when something happens will be enough. ;)

I once had an insurance company ask a doctor how he knew I needed surgery. His reply basically was he could see the problem in his (surgical) hands. If you live through this you could see why I believe that some sound effects could be useful to you. This is not about fraud. It is about eliminating an insurance company scam when they try to claim you never had a problem or that problem was not related to the crash. I was hit hard enough to break a leaf spring in the car.

The swearing and brown undies do not show any pain or possible injury. That only shows frustration and maybe some fear.

In all probability any "theatrics" you intend to engage in are more than likely to backfire on you and end up biting you in the ass; and these so called dishonorable insurance companies you point to as a rationalization for fraudulent embellishment are more likely to call you out on it than if you just present them with the actual facts. Dash cams work best as impartial objective observers, there for when you need them. You know, friend, you sound kind of like one of those people who puts on a neck collar after a little fender bender.

Respectfully, I suggest you finally take the plunge after two months of posting numerous comments here at DCT and go buy a dash cam to learn what it feels like to actually drive around with one on a daily basis.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge I have never had whiplash. The injuries I did get were worse and provable without a doubt. Recovery was long and painful. Insurance paid me less than I would have earned had the crash not happened. Yes, the other guy was 100% at fault. I hugged the ditch, he crossed the center line.

Go ahead and tell me that an idea is bad. Do not think I want to get into a crash to make money. No money from a car crash could be worth what could easily happen to me in a serious collision.

To the best of my knowledge I have never had whiplash. The injuries I did get were worse and provable without a doubt. Recovery was long and painful. Insurance paid me less than I would have earned had the crash not happened. Yes, the other guy was 100% at fault. I hugged the ditch, he crossed the center line.

Go ahead and tell me that an idea is bad. Do not think I want to get into a crash to make money. No money from a car crash could be worth what could easily happen to me in a serious collision.

I'm sorry for your misfortune. If you had a dash cam running in your vehicle at the time there is a good chance the outcome would have been different with no need for fraudulent embellishments.
Dishonesty and fakery is never a good plan of action, whatever your motives.

I think audio is very important. my mother was rear ended using a mobius last month and the audio makes it very clear that while she was in control of her car, someone came up to fast and hit her.

the insurance company of the car she was pushed into wanted to charge her for it, but this video shows all fault lies in the person who rear ended her. with the audio there is no debating that she was rear ended and pushed into the car.

This video shows the importance of sound even better. Hit from the side and the sound is more important in proving a collision happened compared to the cars movement.

This also shows why having 4 cams pointing in each direction is not necessarily overkill or being paranoid. A left side cam could easily show the truck pulling into this car.

When you are in a crash be sure to scream (like a little girl), yell, and moan a lot before, during, and after the crash. You will have proof how badly the crash affected your mental health and that you actually suffered great fear and physical anguish.
Depending on how much that car costs, you may just do that naturally ;)

Depending on how much that car costs, you may just do that naturally ;)

No!!!! Not my Duesenburg!!!!

ARGHHH!!!

My most valuable machine is my 1997 dodge ram diesel. I would still be very upset if anyone hurt it.

This video shows the importance of sound even better. Hit from the side and the sound is more important in proving a collision happened compared to the cars movement.

This also shows why having 4 cams pointing in each direction is not necessarily overkill or being paranoid. A left side cam could easily show the truck pulling into this car.

That is the most common lane change collisions I've seen.
You see the right lane is empty so does the other guy who sees left lane is empty and both change lanes together.
I've caught too many near misses in my dashcams like that and I always take extra precautions when changing lanes when there are cars on the other side of empty lane.

That is the most common lane change collisions I've seen.
You see the right lane is empty so does the other guy who sees left lane is empty and both change lanes together.
I've caught too many near misses in my dashcams like that and I always take extra precautions when changing lanes when there are cars on the other side of empty lane.
Still his fault at the end of the day, but to me it looked like the red E550 was trying to avoid that pile of trash on the road when he suddenly filtered to his left and hit the guy with the dash cam.

I have mixed feelings and some history on this.

I have warned my wife when driving that the mic "might be on". She still goes on to say really negative things about the driver in a manner that annoys her. Its not really clear on my Iroad 3300 ch if the mic is on or not. There is a chime when it changes mode when you press the button, but it does NOT state where it currently is at.

If there is an accident, I am sure her commentary is something we may want insurers or police to hear.

The conversations between my wife and myself is strictly our business, but I do want audio proving I honked the horn when someone drove in an offensive matter.

My zippcast channel has a few clips with audio showing I honked to avoid an accident in one case.
http://www.zippcast.com/user/GTA_Driver
http://www.zippcast.com/video/c295e23b8f8662143d0

Preference I guess. I'm seldom alone in the car and have set my audio "off".

In some US states, you cannot record audio without consent. In some states, only one party has to consent, but in other states both (all) parties must consent. Thus, in the perversion of "protecting privacy" and so-called anti-eavesdropping laws, you could be arrested or cited if a trespasser (such as a burglar) breaks into your property and talks and your security camera or dashcam records the audio of that burglar talking. Of course, the burglar might face more serious charges...

By default I turn off audio recording of my security cameras and dashcams.

Last edited:
A sticker or two on the windows or doors of your home warning that a surveillance system is in use is generally all that is legally required to avoid any liability that you are violating the privacy of a burglar who breaks into your home.

A sticker or two on the windows or doors of your home warning that a surveillance system is in use is generally all that is legally required to avoid any liability that you are violating the privacy of a burglar who breaks into your home.
I think that sticker/garden sign is only for the outside like those who walk on the sidewalks etc.

Inside the home shouldn't be a problem for unauthorized persons like burglar or trespasser (because that's the whole idea of having a security system) but authorized persons like friends/guests should be informed.

Last edited:
Back