do you let your dash cam record audio inside the car?

J

Jaranson

I'm new to this... but watching dash cam videos with audio felt like someone left a tape recorder in the shower...(yes, I do sing in the shower and I don't really know my do-re-mi :D )

It comes down to personal preference. Some of the higher end cameras have a mute button as well as a menu option. If possible i would leave audio on and try to get into the habit of calling out the plate to the camera of something that looks dangerous or you think something might happen because you can't tell for sure if the plate is on camera and sometimes after the fact the plate may not be clear due to sun or the camera or car was at a bad angle.

I'm new to this... but watching dash cam videos with audio felt like someone left a tape recorder in the shower...(yes, I do sing in the shower and I don't really know my do-re-mi :D )

Why not recording an autio inside the car ? Yes, for sure.
Sound quality depends on how good quality dash camera you buy. Common rule is: - the more expencive, - the better quality. Of course it is not always 100%. but in most cases it is.
What dash cam model videos did you watch ?

Yes I always record audio, most of the time I add background music to fun videos. I only expect to "need" the audio for a real accident or when I'm adding details like plate numbers etc.

I usually leave the audio recording on. That way, I can add my own audio comments if something questionable is going on. This is especially nice if that "something" is not in the video field - like somebody following close behind busy texting on their cellphone. I can comment on what they are doing, the make and color of car, etc, as evidence before they rear-end me. Also, license plate numbers can go to audio if you have the forethought that it would be good to record the information.

Last edited:
Same here. Record audio all the time, don't see any problem with it. If you suffer from some bowel problem and fart a lot, then may be you should switch it off :p

I always have my camera recording sound,you can have some interesting remarks when you play back.

I use it to help my with work and is faster to do home work than writing to much, and is better than a mind for a recording many hours ago.

Any dodgey stuff can be picked up also should something happen so atleast it may be useful should Police etc need proof.

Mine never had an option not to record. Came in handy when I lend my car to family... oh the things they say. Great to freak them out later knowing exactly where they went and what they said haha

Always - useful to read plates out aloud as the cam sometimes doesn't catch them. It's really easy to mute a clip.
The audio might also pick up a bump that isn't noted on the vid, at what point you sound your horn - or maybe even that you were indicating!

I never record audio
you have to consider that you are sometimes note alone in your car or your car is used by other people... and there is talking going on... and you would have to hint everyone of the recording fact, killing the mood...
on the other hand not telling about recording sound can cause very bad vibes with concerning persons... keeping it secret can be depending on dashcam model difficult as there are clear hints of sound recording on display or buttons or case.... or if you show the video sometime it will be found out

aside of morale aspects of course ;D

Yes, my cam records sound too. I think it could be important in case of traffic issues. But I also put some movies on Youtube and then I like the hear the surrounding sounds.

One thing I started to notice though: When I am in my car alone I tend to talk to my self now and then. I was n't aware of that really. o_O

i have my microfone disabled.
1. i play music and just a Little picked up by my microfone get caught by youtube.
2. i too comment Things as i drive. ( mostly negative comments im affraid ) :oops:
3. i yell and swear at the ppl in traffic who really get me going. ( roadrage i guess ) :oops:
4. i allso sing along some times, but i dont really sing that well, i am a mutch better drummer truth be told.

I dident swear and yell 2 years ago, but these days my brain have snapped and i am constantly looking for a fight, driving or not. :(

If someone is with me, I have it off. If alone I have it on, I do like the audio during playback.

I always have mic enabled.
Then they can't say that you weren't indicating when in fact you were.
Stole that from Techmoan :)

Yes I talk to myself.
Yes, I tell other people how they should be driving.
Yes, I play music.
Yes, it records people talking.

But when all's said and done - it's YOUR car.
Everyone who gets in my car is well aware of my dashcam - just the same as everyone who gets on my bus.
It's really easy to mute parts of audio during a clip (I use PowerDirector8), it's also easy to mute the whole clip or even split the audio from the video.
However, I do feel it is important to record audio.
You can hear my indicator - Might be important evidence in an insurance claim - they say you were indicating to turn into the road they pull out of, simply play the video & find an example of the indicator 'clicking' as soon as possible before the incident.
You can hear my horn - Again, might be important. someone claims they didn't see you & you didn't warn them...
You could hear my ABS kicking in - shows how hard I was braking?
You might hear panic in my voice at the possible impending impact - "Ohhhh CCcraaaap..." :-D
Someone does something stupid - maybe drives straight across your path? - the cams won't catch the polate but if you (or a passenger) see it, you could read it aloud! Might also be important in a hit & run.

I would far sooner have all the advantages & be able to edit out the disadvantages.
And as to 'private' conversations, yes, we've had some of those in the car - but it's easy enough to format the card.

Unfortunately, I had to stop the video before the interesting conversation started due to children crossing in front of the camera.
I should've split the video/audio & allowed the audio to continue over a still picture.

The conversation went on - I was following the lane... 'see this (points to cam)? It's a dashcam. Put your reg No. into youtube later & see where you were driving'.
Now, if the guy ever did put his reg number into youtube, he was obviously too embarrased by his driving to comment.

Back