Does anyone make a dual interior dash cam with both lcd and WiFi?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking to upgrade from my old Ambarella 0801

I love the small size, LCD and the fact that it has a backup battery just in case I need to use it as a regular handheld camera (as seen in this video clip when a car in front of me got rear ended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuN9Y3rAVoI

Thing is, I’d like to add a second camera for interior footage as well as WiFi for quick wireless previewing, but still want to retain a regular LCD.

The closest thing I could come up with is the Vantrue N2, but it doesn’t have WiFi

All others that I’ve seen have either an LCD or Wifi, but never both.

Are there any options out there that meet this criteria?

Dashcams are not really meant to be used as a video camera like that, and in general the cameras with batteries are advised against as they tend to not last as long, at least not in extreme environments.

Pretty much all the wifi cameras have one or more drawbacks depending on what you hope to get out of their wifi.
For saving video to phone it is painful slow, but a single file are okay bot 2 or more and suddenly it will take longer to transfer to your phone that it took to record the files.
For previewing i guess it could be alright, then again i cant imagine i would ever need to preview something on the go, and surely not share anything right then and there, actually i would keep my cameras a secret if i could until i had a chance to review my footage.
I use the cheap B1W as a cabin camera glued to my mirror stalk, it works just fine.

You are right in what you say about wifi and / or LCD, only ones that come to mind for me right now in my sleep deprived state are the Vifo A129 duo ( probably the single too ) and the SG9663DC which are both dual channel cameras.
But apps supporting those are still iffy, SG have not gotten their own APP ready so dont really talk about the wifi in their product, but there is another brand app that largely work for the SG camera.
The A 129 duo i dont really know i think its much the same as the hardware is, cant recall if vifo have their own app up and running.

Seem to me like when wifi get in the picture with dashcams, then problems start to arrive and user frustrations and aggravation go up.

The Viofo A129 works nicely, including the App. The only thing that isn't working currently is the new improved parking mode and accompanying hardwire kit that people are waiting for.

If you want to use it outside the car, it comes off the mount very easily but you need a USB powerbank to provide the power, it then operates as a single camera at 1080 60fps and produces good results.

The wifi works OK, although it depends a bit on the phone used, some will do a lot of buffering so that watching the live video or playback is not much fun, but a good phone/tablet will work without buffering and can transfer a 3 minute video to phone memory/phone memory card in under 3 minutes which I think makes it acceptable for dealing with accident footage on site. When you get back home it is much quicker to remove the memory card and put it in your computers card reader, but that will be true with any wifi camera.

Last edited:
OK, I guess if I had to choose, I'd prefer the LCD over the wifi.
I'm just so used to making sure my cams are working and that everything is in frame.

Just curious, but does anyone make a similar style of camera with 3 cams?

I'm currently debating between the Vantrue N2 and the Mini 0906

I like the interior rear cam on the Vantrue as well as the rear exterior view cam on the 0906.

Would be perfect to have both in a neat package without having to get a separate cam.

In my Land Cruiser, I have a dedicated DVR with multiple cams that runs 24/7, but the resolution is pure sh!te as I installed it many moons ago.

I had a similar 4 channel system in my car, but it was with analog cameras so only the resolution of our childhood TV signals,,,,, or at least my childhood as in old enough to have seem Americans walk on the moon live.
As it is now no one are going to build a 4 channel camera, it can be done as the hardware are there alright, but the price for such a system is what worry the makers, it will not be something that sell a lot of units for sure.

Your best option is to wait for the dual remote systems and get 2 of those, those should be here at the tail end of this year, and some makers i think will even have optional waterproof cameras for the people that just do need a outside camera.
Those will be 2 cameras on a wire ( signal and power ) and a main unit you can stash or have within reach from driver position, so you only have to retrive 2 memory cards to get footage from 4 cameras, and if they are same brand/model cameras and have GPS they should start stop at the same time so footage from all 4 cameras should be in sync.
But in general i would advise people to go for in car cameras, though for instance the rear camera if you dont have washer / wiper there, then that window do collect a lot of dirt and so need cleaning often.

There are multi channel recorders meant for home use with IP cameras you could use in a car as they are after all still 12 volt, but these are build for static use so i doubt they will be that good for vehicle use at least when driving.

Yeah, when I first installed that system in my Land Cruiser, it was made up of the cheapest stuff EBay had to offer.
$12 buck cameras, an $80 DVR and a $5 LVC module
It worked fine for what it was and has caught tons of great footage, but by today's standards, it's potato quality.
Found this 3 lens dash cam on New Egg, but it's huge and the low price probably reflects its quality

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-1yNubz2aNiX4wsfkcxoC5G4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A86X_131520056367505909u1RsFlAN5l.jpg

A86X_131520056473912159s0PnJV8ASz.jpg

A86X_131520056702350120ho36p6egnE.jpg

A86X_131520056997916281S27E8tOmqG.jpg

I just come to realize what you are asking about are the other kind of dual cameras, we just refer to those as taxi or uber cameras as they are well suited for this covering both the road in front of car and the occupants of the car.
I think the N2 you have found are one of the better ones, not least its performance at light with IR support lighting, some of the others lack some in that department.
The one above i cant see you can install in a legal place here in Denmark and get a good result, our law say you cant have anything blocking your view, so things like phones and NAV units are recommended to put on the very bottom of the windscreen, and thats not a good place for a camera, at least not for a car with a long hood, also from low on the windscreen it might cover front seats okay but the back seat people can hide in.

As a tester right now i have 4 cameras in front of my mirror on the dotted area, all only visible above the mirror, which i think are okay.
Judging from COP Programs on TV it do look like even the cops are unaware of this law, and judging on how some cars have their windscreen spammed in stuff.

The B1W i use for cabin camera do well all day and for town driving at night with the level of ambient light such a place, but out in the country it just film a dark cabin and not much else, so really the optimal cabin camera will have support of IR light for the cabin camera..

You also have to be vigilant to the bitrates of multi channel cameras, this was a area where some cut corners to acomodate more cameras, and if your bitrate are too low well then images will suffer i level of detail, not least at speed.
Cutting bitrate also let you run more cameras on old hardware, in general a SOC only support a MAX level of bitrate, so say thats 40 mbits than you can split that over 4 cameras of 10 mbit or 2 cameras with 20 mbit.
So running 3 cameras on old cheap hardware that only support 20 mbit, that will just give you around 7 mbit for each camera, or maybe its split so 2 cameras get 8 mbit and the third one only 4 mbit.

Last edited:
The Transcend Drive Pro 520 is another one to consider. A bit pricey but lots of features and apparently a top pick for "Taxi" type cams.

WiFi managed cams can be good, but that depends on how well the app is done, and whether they develop it as time passes. Sometimes a particular phone or tablet has trouble with an app. My cheap Android tablet doesn't do most dashcams apps well if at all. It's awesome when it all works well for you, and allows things that would otherwise be impossible such as remote viewing if you're in range.

Screens can be misleading. The image you see just shows that the cam is working- it may not be recording to the card. They take up space and add heat as well. They're great when you're troubleshooting a problem or working with the cam away from your phone or tablet. My guess is that in a few more years, screen-equipped dashcams will be fading out of the market not that darn near everyone wants to use their phone for everything.

Whatever you choose, check the forums here to see what that cam's owners are experiencing with it before you buy.
Phil

Ok, I’ve decided to replace my 0801 with a 0906 w/rear mounted cam, but will also add a B1W (or similar cam) for an interior shot.
On the B1W, does the camera rotate a full 360* or is the rotation limited like the mini series cams?
Also, is there an led that tells you when it’s operating?
If so, does it face you when the lens is pointed at you?

Ok, I’ve decided to replace my 0801 with a 0906 w/rear mounted cam, but will also add a B1W (or similar cam) for an interior shot.
On the B1W, does the camera rotate a full 360* or is the rotation limited like the mini series cams?
Also, is there an led that tells you when it’s operating?
If so, does it face you when the lens is pointed at you?
Yes,yes,no.

The led is on the back, the lens is on the front, not sure it is a full 360 but very nearly and it auto rotates the image to be the right way up as you rotate it.

Back