Does GPS coordinates display on video?

Darmilli

Reaction score
Country
Tanzania, United Republic Of
I am considering buying the LK7900. I have checked several videos but in all videos I haven't seen GPS location data (such as coordinates at the current location) being displayed.

So I would like to know from users of this camera, is there an option to show and record GPS coordinates at the bottom of the video just like speed and time information appears?

Some cameras do display the cordinates in the video, just like most do time and date.

The Lukas dashcams do not do this, you will have to view the footage in lukases own viewer or one of the other players.that support the format lukas use.

There is only a option to log gps speed so you can see where you drive on a map in the player, or you can turn it off GPS so no speed appear in the footage and nothing is logged on SD Card.

Personal i am not a fan of the cameras who do display the lenghty long and lattitude in the footage, but i do prefer to have GPS speed displayed in the footage, and if need be it can be played in a player to display on a map exaktely where you are driving.

Here is a video displaying how it more or less look playing footage in a player ( this is the freeware registrator viewer and not Lukases own viewer, but Thers look kinda the same.

My gt680w displays gps coordinates and speed if selected via settings.

Thanks guys. I would like to know other dashcams that can display GPS info on the video clip, not just in the software playback.

And @kamkar1 can that map display be changed into satellite view or does it show just the map version of Google Maps?

And there's this thing I have read about the LK-7900 that it records clips of maximum length of 3 minutes. So what does this mean if I want to record a long trip say of two hours? Can I set it to record continuously for more than 3 minutes, or will I have to use a video editor software to join the 3-minute clips? Or does the Lukas Viewer software have this ability to render videos? Or do I just import all clips in the viewer, play them back and record the video using a screen capture software?

To be honest i am not sure if the lukas viewer or any of the freeware ones can change to sattelite view ( EDIT RegistratorViewer can display sattelite view )
You are right about the 3 minutees, if you want all those clips to be 1 long clip you will have to stitch them together in a video editor.
Some dashcams can do larger files, 5 minutes and some even longer than that, i think the 3 minutes are okay, when driving you actually go far in 3 minutes.
Allso if my memore serve me right, one of the viewers ( dont think lukas own can do that ) can sticth a lot of smaller files together for you to create 1 big file, but i cant remember witch one it is.
I virtually never use any viewer for looking at my recordings, i just use the player build into Windows 7

For playback only you just import all files to the player, it will then play them all in order of recording, and at the same time display the GPS info on the map.

If i have a accident i will just send the 1 file with the crash and the lukas viewer to the police, what will easy fit on the smallest SD Card or USB memory stick mony can buy. ( just in case the lazy incompetent Danish police dont send the memory devise back )

RegistratorViewer seem to be the most popular viewer/editor software, there will be somthing to read about it and other freeware software in the managing videos subforum. http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/managing-videos.22/

Regarding other dashcams that can display GPS cordinates in the footage you might want to PM nico, he is one of the Guys in here that have tried / tested most dashcams.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/conversations/add?to=niko

Regards. kamkar / Brian

If you would like to try RegistratorViewer out you can DL the latest version of it, and then in here find a couple of links to RAW video files ppl have posted as part of a test or comparison, download them ( RAW files are usioally uploaded to MEGA in new zeeland )

Then you can load those videoclips into RegistratorViewer and play around with it.

I can undestand how you could need satterlit view down there, must be a lot of Places where there have never been a Google street view car.

@kamkar1 that's what I was thinking also, but trouble is I can't find any raw video files to experiment with. I scanned the "Dashcam Videos" section, opened about 15 threads and they all had Youtube (and some Vimeo) videos. If you know a link to raw videos (0r if you have some of your own you can share via the cloud) kindly let me know.

With smaller videos, your memory card will be able to fit more files before it needs to recycle the files. It is pretty seamless when viewing the files continously on the Lukas viewer.

Kelvin

Most raw fotage is to be found in the side by side comparison / review subforum

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/side-by-side-comparison.66/

I am not sure if there is and raw footage from lukas cameras, but if you want to i can upload some of mine if you like.

If its posted by nico there will be raw files too, youtube is not good to judge footage as they make it bad when they recompile it for ther servers.

For your need i think it will be a good eye to keep a eye out for the heat performance of the dashcamera you like, some have problems with focus in hot weather due to too cheap materials used to build it cheap.

The panorama line from powerurcc come highly recomended in here, there have been a fjew cases of lukas dashcams with out of focus lenses from the factory.

EDIT: i will upload some of my own footage to mega when i get out to my sisters house in a fjew houres, she have a fast fiber optical connection, and i have a bad + cheap connection here via telefone lines.

Will drop links to the footage here when ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am waiting for your raw footage @kamkar1

Thanks for helping out as I am getting acquainted with this world of dashcams. By the way do all GPS-tagged videos work the same when played back in the RegistratorViewer? Or are there differences in the displaying (and type of information shown) from camera to camera?

If possible let me start with Lukas first. So upload Lukas raw files and I will play with them on Lukas Viewer. I hear Lukas gives the best video quality when it comes with no out-of-focus defects.

Have just uploaded to mega, but its stupid, wont give me a download URL unless i am a mamber, so i join up and get a link to my mail to confirm i clik the link and then nothing happen as mega dont have a app yet for Windows 8 phones.

And i can not get into my mails via my sisters laptop as i offcourse fogot my Little blue book with all my usernames and passwords.
And i can not remember my passwords as they are highly complex and long :rolleyes:

But i have not given up yet, vill try to get the 2 files some where for download, i only did 2 files as they are allmost 500 Mb all in all.

Ok. Waiting......

Hope this Work.

I put the 2 files in a folder and named it lukasdkday, and then let Windows ZIP it, not that it made the file much smaller.

The 2 files are from last week where we hit 30 deg C here in Denmark, this dont seem to be a problem for my permanent installed Lukas and Mobius cameras.

http://uppit.com/wo04sl5r945x/lukasdkday.zip

@kamkar1 thanks for the footage. I played it on the LukasViewer and was able to see the location marker moving. However it was a pinpoint bubble, not a pointed arrow that is pointed toward the direction of the trip.

Another thing is when I open the same files via Registrator View it doesn't recognize GPS information. There's no moving cursor on the map. It even doesn't recognize the files as dashcam files, I had to select "Video" in order to see the files in the "Open" command/dialog box.

Is this normal?Do Lukas dashcam files work only with LukasViewer?

If yes, do you have GPS-tagged files that work with RegistrationViewer. I like RegistrationViewer it has the features suitable for my aim.

I dont know if the lukas files dont Work with RegistrationViewer as i mentioned erlier i dont really use dashcam players, but i will give RegistrationViewer a try some time monday when i get home to my own computer.

Kinda supriced as i expected RegistrationViewer to play lukas files with no problem :confused:

Back