What does the "Enable EVR" option do?

Quick

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 ACE
Under Settings->Additional->Renderer Settings there is a check box for Enable EVR. What does this do?

From the Lukas "Settings" .PDF manual page 7 out of 10

EVR stands for "Enhanced Video Renderer". It means that if you have an LCD display attached to your cam, you will be able to review it in real-time, but if you only review footage from a PC through the Lukas Ace software you can disable it since you are not utilizing the video output.

On my system, this was enabled by default and has been since my purchase of the LK-7900, so I say it has no real effect at all if you keep it enabled even if you do not have an LCD display within your vehicle.

I think it might be something a little different. This from the Mediaportal site:

MediaPortal supports two video renderers:
Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) 9 included with DirectX 9, and
Enhanced Video Renderer (EVR) which supports DXVA 2.0, which is available on Windows Vista and Windows 7.
If you are using Windows Vista or 7, EVR is recommended and selected by default.
Normally you should not need to change these settings unless you are using Windows XP and need to select settings for VMR 9.

Since you know the answers to your own question...

That may be so but I am actually citing the Lukas information pdf file on what the EVR function is for this specific hardware/software combination.[ The information you posted does not pertain to your specific question about the Lukas 7900 Ace hardware/software combination and has to do with Microsoft video encoding software and "apps" that utilize the said encoding process! Had you read the entire article you cited and took a snippet from you would have realized it was published in discussion of Windows based software that DECODES EVR based files... : http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/bo ... al&wr_id=6

If you notice to the left they offer the "Settings" manual which is what I quoted in response to your OP.

Btw, out of the 10 page Settings manual, the answer to your question which I already shared with you, it's on page 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wound a bit tight are you?

I got a reply from Lukas (apparently their reply bounced and they sent it again from a different email account).

Lukas said:
In regard to EVR, EVR stands for Enhanced Video Renderer and when it’s off, video renderer is set to VMR(Video Mixing Renderer)
Simply saying, VMR plays video using directX. The reason for using EVR function is to enable playing back videos for the users having PC environments/OS that don’t support EVR.

So... how does this pertain to having an LCD display and one should enable it for that? and it doesn't matter if you play it on a PC?
Thanks for the link but it would have been better if you didn't try to paraphrase it with your misunderstanding.

you said:
It means that if you have an LCD display attached to your cam, you will be able to review it in real-time, but if you only review footage from a PC through the Lukas Ace software you can disable it since you are not utilizing the video output.

Sorry for being "wound up" that evening! I had a rough and long day and snapped at you which was inappropriate. Thank you for posting better information on the topic and sharing it with the community.

Back