Does it exsist?

technopants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there im new here so go easy.

After just having my car written off i thought it was time to invest in a dash cam i've prevously bought one for my girlfriend but want one for myself now but what i'm looking for doesnt seem to exsist well not from Google anyway

What i'm looking for is a camera that i can mount in the front of the grill and also one on the rear of the car to also maybe used as a reversing cam that can link to head unit screen but also connected to some sort of brain that records the whole thing that is hidden somewhere in the car and can be accessed via bluetooth 4g wifi etc and has the ability to notify me sms or email if my car gets bumped or activates a sensor when its parked or if at night when someone is near it?? does this type of thing exsist?? or do i just need a to employ a full guard armed nun chucks??

i like the idea of less stuff on the dash as possible as i've seen people driving around with sat nav, phone, dash cam all stuck to there window and it all seems a bit cluttered to me and also something else to fly around the car in the event of an impact.

any advice welcome

thanks @Gabacho i know how easy you can get slated in these places for using the wrong terminology :)

I just learned about the Innov K1 system which seems to do what you need https://www.innovv.com/the-k

Well not the 4G wifi stuff. You're asking for too much there! The benefit of a dash camera or any other surveillance system is to record rather than to monitor

With the cost of reversing cams so little I would just buy a separate one for this function, you need to think about what you really want from a cam and write a list of pros and cons I am a firm believer in thinkware, they can be/are expensive but good, but there are excellent ones like viofo well worth looking at, think of your budget as well

cheers thanks for your replies i'll take a look at those, i was looking for a rear camera as my girl friend had her car written off by someone going in to the back of her and driving off !! so wanted all bases covered which would be more important to me than the reversing cam element but i thought as a camera is there would be handy to be able to use it as a reversing cam

thanks @Gabacho i know how easy you can get slated in these places for using the wrong terminology :)

Thats no problem, life in here are one big multilingual party, and we cater to the drinker of fine single malts as well as the guy that just want a cold beer of some sort.

The K1 system have issues it seem ( have its own subforum in here i think )
And i cant really recommend putting a camera all the way out front, and so not aided by windscreen wipers in rain or bug removal.
I also advise against using a rear dash camera as a reversing camera, it is far better to buy a regular proper reversing camera, just mane sure your headunit can work with a regular camera and dont need something specific that match the brand you have.

A few cameras have the option to relay events via wifi, but range are so limited your will probably have to sit pretty close to the car with your phone, or put up wifi extenders in and maybe outside of your house depending on where your house wifi router are located in relation to where car are parked.
So really that's not something to bother about with current systems.
There might be something better on the horizon, but then you will also have to get and pay for a SIM card for the dashcam, hard to tell what it is i have not paid too much attention to this as to me personally its not something i would use ( i have CCTV camera on my car where parked at home, and it have motion detect so if some one get within a few M of my parked car my tablet on bedside table go bonkers and wake me up )

The ideal placement for a dashcam are top middle of windscreen, and if you can see that area above your mirror then its not something you ever use i bet.
If you have a dotted area up there wedge shaped cameras will be hidden by the dotted area and only toe bottom of it with the lens will peek out below the dots.

You can have a look in the how are your dashcam installed thread, there are a lot of pics of different cameras and different solutions depending on what you have to work with of windscreen real estate.

O and welcome to the forum technopants.

Hi there im new here so go easy.

After just having my car written off i thought it was time to invest in a dash cam i've prevously bought one for my girlfriend but want one for myself now but what i'm looking for doesnt seem to exsist well not from Google anyway

What i'm looking for is a camera that i can mount in the front of the grill and also one on the rear of the car to also maybe used as a reversing cam that can link to head unit screen but also connected to some sort of brain that records the whole thing that is hidden somewhere in the car and can be accessed via bluetooth 4g wifi etc and has the ability to notify me sms or email if my car gets bumped or activates a sensor when its parked or if at night when someone is near it?? does this type of thing exsist?? or do i just need a to employ a full guard armed nun chucks??

i like the idea of less stuff on the dash as possible as i've seen people driving around with sat nav, phone, dash cam all stuck to there window and it all seems a bit cluttered to me and also something else to fly around the car in the event of an impact.

any advice welcome

I can understand your thinking that a camera in the front grill would be nice, in reality what KamKar 1 said is the best location.

If you had a camera in your front grill the picture would be a low picture of just the front of the vehicle that was hitting you head on, if it didn't destroy the SD card (Doubtful) used in the camera to store the video. Next would be the impossible problem of keeping the lens clear of dirt, bugs, rain and just plain weather, they aren't rain proof. 3rd, a rock kicked up by traffic could destroy the camera. 4th, some kid or adult that happens to see it in the grill is going to have themselves your camera. 5th, if God forbid you happen to hit someone, you are the cops would have some picture (maybe) to show the judge, kind of cutting your own throat. So, in reality it just isn't practical for these and other reasons.
Highly recommend what KamKar1 said, he is one of the Gurus here on cameras. Also this probably tells you why a Google search didn't turn up much if anything for you.

I can understand your thinking that a camera in the front grill would be nice, in reality what KamKar 1 said is the best location.

If you had a camera in your front grill the picture would be a low picture of just the front of the vehicle that was hitting you head on, if it didn't destroy the SD card (Doubtful) used in the camera to store the video. Next would be the impossible problem of keeping the lens clear of dirt, bugs, rain and just plain weather, they aren't rain proof. 3rd, a rock kicked up by traffic could destroy the camera. 4th, some kid or adult that happens to see it in the grill is going to have themselves your camera. 5th, if God forbid you happen to hit someone, you are the cops would have some picture (maybe) to show the judge, kind of cutting your own throat. So, in reality it just isn't practical for these and other reasons.
Highly recommend what KamKar1 said, he is one of the Gurus here on cameras. Also this probably tells you why a Google search didn't turn up much if anything for you.
+1

Back